Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 6th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Emmahammer
    Just been robbed £2k. Can you help me trace a phone number? DESPERATE & DEVASTATED
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    Just been robbed £2k. Can you help me trace a phone number? DESPERATE & DEVASTATED 6th Sep 17 at 10:45 PM
    Hi Guys,

I read a post where it said there is a few ways to track a mobile phone without them knowing. I'm not joking about this but today I was duped out of £2,000. I feel like I'm being strung along by the police by being passed on to action fraud. I really need to know where this guy is. I am disabled so I can't do anything stupid. The sick thing is.....this person knew my motivation, I paid him so I could see something other than from my bed before it's too late. It's totally evil behaviour on his part. He got my trust and now I feel so stupid. I'm not stupid but I was totally taken in by him.

It looks like he's using an iPhone on T mobile but that's as far as I've got. His phone does seem locked down because his whatsapp isn't pinging and I can only send SMS even tho I have an iPhone too.

Please help me. I just feel so powerless. The bank has already told me this money has been moved from the bank account I paid into and fast. I'm guessing that his number won't be available soon either.

Thanks again

Emma 😭
Page 1
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 6th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    Also, the other information I have is sort code and bank account I paid into.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 7th Sep 17, 12:35 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:35 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:35 AM
    Action Fraud is an arm of the City of London Police. DO talk to them immediately.
    Last edited by Ian011; 07-09-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    Thanks Ian. I've already done that but it seems they only have limited resources and may or may not pursue a criminal. I mean. He's a criminal. He has a name, a bank account and with that bank account comes an addresss.....just go get him!!! I feel left hung to dry and can't even look at myself.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 7th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    sdduk
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    The only people that can help you is the police and bank.

He may have just had a payg sim in the phone and turned it off and binned the sim so there would be no way you could trace it.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 7th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    I don't understand what you paid him for. Can you elaborate.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    How did you pay this money? Was it by credit card - because if it was you may be able to recover it from them.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,694 Posts
    • 4,268 Thanks
    d123
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    Hi Guys,

I read a post where it said there is a few ways to track a mobile phone without them knowing. I'm not joking about this but today I was duped out of £2,000. I feel like I'm being strung along by the police by being passed on to action fraud. I really need to know where this guy is. I am disabled so I can't do anything stupid. The sick thing is.....this person knew my motivation, I paid him so I could see something other than from my bed before it's too late. It's totally evil behaviour on his part. He got my trust and now I feel so stupid. I'm not stupid but I was totally taken in by him.

It looks like he's using an iPhone on T mobile but that's as far as I've got. His phone does seem locked down because his whatsapp isn't pinging and I can only send SMS even tho I have an iPhone too.

Please help me. I just feel so powerless. The bank has already told me this money has been moved from the bank account I paid into and fast. I'm guessing that his number won't be available soon either.

Thanks again

Emma ��
    Originally posted by Emmahammer
    You can’t trace a phone number, the police can obtain the details from the networks if they deem it necessary. As you haven’t given any actual detail on what happened (and how) it’s almost impossible to give any sort of specific comment or advice.
    ====
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    I suppose I was skating around it because I feel like a complete idiot. It was a depositi for a van. We spoke at length on the phone about how he was looking after his disabled mum and how I was disabled too.

It was a good price. Was part checked by gumtree using HPI on the advert and I paid for a full HPI check which came back good too. But it needed more information such as the vans' vin number and v5 number. That was going to be done before we gave the rest of the money over - another £2k when we went to get the van.

It was a private sale so I had to do it via bacs as he didn't have any payment module setup like a business would.

Now I've worked out on my own that this scum is in Northern Ireland with no expertise whatsoever. I feel like I've already been shelved by the police. Why do we have to protect criminals? I want to know who he is and where he lives. I have a mobile number that's on whatsapp too but is now switched off. I have his account details and name.

I just want to know exactly where he is. I want him to see the face of the cripple he has stolen from. I want him to see his crime. :,(
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 7,486 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Unfortunately the police don't devote their time to investigating crimes unless there is glory in it for themselves. Crimes have to be headline-grabbing (like the Mccann disappearance - milions spent over several years with zero results) or something they are forced to deal with. Cameras deal with speed issues so police can ignore dangerous driving. Victim support is pushed on people rather than chasing criminals. People without car insurance and road tax and illegal immigrants find that any potential (and unlikely) penalties are greatly outweighed by the rewards and con-men must laugh because they know the police will usually do absolutely nothing.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 7th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    lee111s
    Did you not see the ebay scammers program on ITV last week?

Seems a carbon copy...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I feel like I've already been shelved by the police. Why do we have to protect criminals? I want to know who he is and where he lives. I have a mobile number that's on whatsapp too but is now switched off. I have his account details and name.

I just want to know exactly where he is. I want him to see the face of the cripple he has stolen from. I want him to see his crime. :,(
    You're aware that that is not going to happen don't you?

Let the police do their job as far as the fraud is concerned, as for the money I'm afraid you'd have to get a solicitor to look into it.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 7th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Did you not see the ebay scammers program on ITV last week?

Seems a carbon copy...
    Originally posted by lee111s
    Yes. I saw that.

@Emmahammer. Did the person you spoke to on the phone have a foreign accent at all?
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    Totally agree! Then how can it be a surprise that we are turning into a vigilante nation? You do everything the right way (report to police, contact the bank) & absolutely nothing is done about it. I'm furious. I refuse to lay back on my bed (which ironically is all I can do) and be a victim. I'm so driven to try and find a way to not be just a lesson to everyone else, although I have considered contacting my local press to help raise awareness locally.
    There's nothing worse than hearing people who have the benefit of hindsight chortle at your misfortune. He knew that I'm very ill. He still did it. I just can't get my head around how utterly !!!! that is.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    I wish I had. I know I definitely wouldn't be here now.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    He had a northern accent. Probably north of Manchester and seemed
    So credible. I was totally taken in by him. Absolute charmer.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    The police don't seem interested. I have no money left for a solicitor.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 7,486 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    You'd probably be throwing more money away after good if you did, I'm afraid.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 7th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    I just don't wanna be another helpless victim, you know?

So far I have:
    Contacted a government funded charity - didn't want to but why not? I feel like it's the lack of funding by the government that probably means I will never see justice.
    Contacted Financial Ombudsman to investigate TSB's total lack of effort. I was on great money before I fell ill. I gave them 25 years of sound banking, they've had loans, mortgages, charges, insurances in that time. That should have counted for more than this.
    Contacted Victim Support - I'm a total mess and need it.
    Contacted Citizen's Advice Bureau who are taking it to Trading Standards and possibly from there to Small Claim's Court.
    Gum tree - they're investigating things their end to liaise with Action Fraud.
    Tomorrow I'm going to the press. I have to make this into a positive to warn others.

I even contacted T-Mobile to complain their neutrality in this isn't good enough; as their service helped a criminal do his work. I knew it wouldn't do anything but it sure felt good!

I still want him to look me in the eye - the disabled woman he conned. I doubt these kind of people have any feelings of guilt - but maybe it will do something to his conscience. I still want this solved. And too right, if I have the right man.....I want to give my own version of justice.
    I'm not gonna be a quiet victim who just accepts this.

Emma xox
    Last edited by Emmahammer; 08-09-2017 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    • PHK
    • By PHK 8th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    PHK
    I just don't wanna be another helpless victim, you know?

So far I have:
    Contacted a government funded charity - didn't want to but why not? I feel like it's the lack of funding by the government that probably means I will never see justice.
    Contacted Financial Ombudsman to investigate TSB's total lack of effort. I was on great money before I fell ill. I gave them 25 years of sound banking, they've had loans, mortgages, charges, insurances in that time. That should have counted for more than this.
    Contacted Victim Support - I'm a total mess and need it.
    Contacted Citizen's Advice Bureau who are taking it to Trading Standards and possibly from there to Small Claim's Court.
    Gum tree - they're investigating things their end to liaise with Action Fraud.
    Tomorrow I'm going to the press. I have to make this into a positive to warn others.

I even contacted T-Mobile to complain their neutrality in this isn't good enough; as their service helped a criminal do his work. I knew it wouldn't do anything but it sure felt good!

I still want him to look me in the eye - the disabled woman he conned. I doubt these kind of people have any feelings of guilt - but maybe it will do something to his conscience. I still want this solved. And too right, if I have the right man.....I want to give my own version of justice.
    I'm not gonna be a quiet victim who just accepts this.

Emma xox

Honesty advice to you. You are clearly very angry, upset and hurt. This is going to affect your judgement and make poor decisions. Please don't waste your energy taking a scattergun approach by complaining to all and sundry. Actionfraud and the police are the way to go but you need to realise that you're not going to be involved much in the investigation. For legal reasons you won't be intimately involved.
    I would trust the advice of Citizens Advice (trading standards is really the wrong body here)
    I mean this in a supportive way - at the moment you come across as wanting retribution by carrying out you own prosecution and punishment. It's understandable but not going to end well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,782Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin