Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered?
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered? 6th Sep 17 at 9:58 PM
    The (newish) power supply in my desktop computer exploded a week or so ago and because it was well within warranty, I sent it off to be replaced.

They found it was faulty and replaced it.

After installing the new power supply, the PC won't turn on. When the first one exploded it must have sent a surge of electricity or something through the PC and broken it.

I have a pretty good contents policy from Barclays, but it isn't clear if it is covered. Does anyone know if it would be? And how I should word a claim to make sure it is?

The only relevant clause I can find is that "electrical breakdown" is not covered. But this isn't really what I would be claiming for, it's the damaged caused by an electrical failure. Similar to if a washing machine floods a kitchen - the washing machine can be replaced but is the flood damage covered?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - to replace the PC will leave me around £1000 out of pocket! :'( :'(
Page 1
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 6th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    In the case of the washing machine generally the resultant damage is covered under the "escape of water" clause. Which clause would you feel that the electrical damage would be covered under? Also, do you have accidental damage cover for your contents?
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and it's forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 6th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    I was using the washing machine example as an analogy, I don't know what this case would be covered by (if anything).

I think I do have accidental damage yes, would I count under that?
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 6th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    Possibly, yes. Might be worth speaking to your insurers if you do have accidental damage cover. I can't think of any of the standard clauses that would ordinarily cover it.
    Last edited by tempus_fugit; 06-09-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and it's forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 6th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    Are you sure the new power supply isn't simply DOA?

FWIW, even if the PSU did surge on one or more of its outputs (which would be quite unusual), it's pretty unlikely that everything in the PC is dead.
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 6th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    Yeah it has a button to do a self test which works, and also when you go to turn it on, it makes a sound like a relay clicking off, I guess for protection?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 6th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    rs65
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    I think this is still a warranty claim rather than an insurance claim.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 7th Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    Did the power supply not come with a guarantee e.g. If it fried other components with it, they'll cover the replacement costs?

If not I imagine it was a cheap nasty PSU was it? Never skimp on cheap PSUs.... What happens is exactly what you experienced.
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 7th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    Yeah I never skimp on the PSU, this was a £150 corsair hx750i - really surprised it went bang!

I've contacted them already but their customer support was useless. They kept trying to get me to RMA the PSU and couldn't understand I'd already done that and was now talking about the damage it had done to the rest of it
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Yeah I never skimp on the PSU, this was a £150 corsair hx750i - really surprised it went bang!

I've contacted them already but their customer support was useless. They kept trying to get me to RMA the PSU and couldn't understand I'd already done that and was now talking about the damage it had done to the rest of it
    Originally posted by mad_pc_man

Look at the T+C of the warranty, it may not cover damage to other components

Are your other components still in warranty?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • mad_pc_man
    • By mad_pc_man 7th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mad_pc_man
    Some might be, it's been built over the years.

It's really hard to test what is actually broken or not
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    csgohan4
    if you bought good ram, they usually have lifetime warranty, the MB, CPU and GFX may not be however.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    On what date did you buy the PC, and on what date did the PSU fail? Surely after replacing it they powered it up to test it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • maddogb
    • By maddogb 7th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    maddogb
    good question
    Good question and not one I have seen answered but I think you might want to discuss this in the PC/tech forums as well, maybe someone there has had some luck.
    It might also be wise to consider alternate routes such as pursuing either Corsair or the retailer you purchased the psu from for consequential losses, I suspect they will all have T&Cs arguing against this but I imagine the law will simply ignore those.
    Also consider a visit to CAB they should advise you on the best route to take with this (make sure you get someone who understands the tech behind this.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Guarantees often specifically exclude consequential damage (and so do a lot of insurance policies), so the computer repair might well be out of your own pocket. Does the power supply have a crowbar? If it has then you might have grounds for complaint, if it hasn't then you've pretty much got what you'd expect.
    • maddogb
    • By maddogb 7th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    maddogb
    Guarantees often specifically exclude consequential damage (and so do a lot of insurance policies), so the computer repair might well be out of your own pocket. Does the power supply have a crowbar? If it has then you might have grounds for complaint, if it hasn't then you've pretty much got what you'd expect.
    Originally posted by jack_pott

So as not to discourage research of every angle too early, many consumer contracts have wording that is not inline with the law.
    This would not be a claim on the warranty and therefore any terms in the warranty would not apply, just as Ford producing a car with duff brakes would not make them non liable for damages caused by any failures.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 8th Sep 17, 1:30 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    jack_pott
    But if you buy a power supply with no crowbar you have effectively conceded that the load is not valuable enough to you to make it worth protecting against a PSU failure.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Sep 17, 6:21 AM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Apparently the PSU has voltage protection:

Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    unforeseen
    The question that needs answering is

Did a fault on the PC cause the PSU. to blow (possible as new PSU doesn't appear to work) or did the PSU blowing cause a fault in the PC (is that likely with the built in protection of the PSU)?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 25,702 Posts
    • 10,215 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    More likely something unseated in transit.

Dont forget that contacting your insurance could mean you need to delcare this potential loss even if they do not payout.

Cover is more likely loss or damage not general failure. ie heating element in an iron or kettle or cooker. Its wear and tear.

If its under warranty then return it.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 08-09-2017 at 5:26 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin