Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelle
    • By Shelle 6th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 321Posts
    • 137Thanks
    Shelle
    Contactless and Oyster card fares
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    Contactless and Oyster card fares 6th Sep 17 at 9:01 PM
    Can anyone advise whether contactless fares are cheaper than using an oyster card?

Trying to work this out on the TFL website, am I correct in that if you only use it for a few days (like tourists) there is no difference in cost but if you are a commuter then because of the weekly cap contactless becomes cheaper?

We have two oysters from our last visit (although one has a railcard attached which I understand cannot be done on contactless) and trying to figure out if its best to stick with them or not. Also, the one that doesnt have a railcard attached is actually a visitor oyster card - do these expire at all if not used for over a year (think its about 18 months)?

Any advice?
    Save
    Last edited by Shelle; 06-09-2017 at 9:22 PM.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    You seem to understand all the points.

A Visitors Oyster card does not expire.
    If you decide you no longer want it, just like an ordinary Oyster card you can get a refund of the available balance.
    However, you cannot get the original card purchase price back - that is lost.

The original deposit is refundable with an ordinary Oyster card.
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 7th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    The Oyster with railcard endorsement is non transferable, user must carry railcard. Discount expires same date as the railcard when the railcard was added. If you have a new railcard you need to have that added to the Oyster card.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 15th Sep 17, 5:46 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:46 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:46 AM
    The weekly cap is due to be added to oyster cards soon but for now it is only on contactless. Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 15th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise

We use contactless cards when in London. I've read stories of them sometimes failing but we've never had any problems (yet!). I think one of the important things is to make sure the gate light flashes green after offering the card. My card works almost instantaneously, but we noticed a definite delay with my wife's card - so much so we weren't sure it had registered. But I checked our bank statements afterwards and all the charges were correct.

I think(?) you can also check your account online with TFL.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 17th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    What do you mean by "fail"

I'd assume that the only reason for a bank to refuse is because the card holder has no money in their account.... or do you mean something else?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 17th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    We use contactless cards when in London.
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I'd be VERY CAREFUL using a bank card with TFL.

I tapped in to a tube station using Contactless I then tapped out and back in to an overground station as 1 journey. I just happened to be looking at a bank mini-statement a few days later and noticed that TFL had charged me I think £16? for that journey. It should have been £2.60.

Rang them up to ask them why and they said I'd been charged for 2 incomplete journeys. I said I tapped in/out correctly and the gates had opened. TFL bloke spent 5 minutes telling me I was in the wrong and it was my fault for using different cards, for not tapping in/out etc etc. TFL completely refused a refund.

I then happened to mention that the contactless card was on my phone via AndroidPay and the receipt from the journey quite clearly showed the tap in and out points. It was like flicking a light switch and I got my refund 2 seconds later no questions asked.

I genuinely believe that TFL are making millions a year out of this little scam either from people not noticing the addition money taken or not being able to prove they tapped in/out.

AndriodPay is much safer i.e. you have to unlock your phone to access it AND more vitally it gives you a tap in/out log.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 17th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    Oyster cards can fail as well.

I really don't think Tfl's system is a scam, but although it appears simple on the surface, it is complex behind the scenes, as anyone who falls foul of it can discover. However, I've always found staff very accommodating sorting out problems / incomplete journeys etc.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 17th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    I have used both Oyster (as a season ticket) and credit card and I don't ever recall any issues with either of them. In your case I would use a bank card but register it on TfL first by creating an account (https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do). That was you can see your journey and if you experience delays you can claim a refund fairly easily.

Apple Pay can be used too if you really want to but I would advise against it as there are, in my experience, regular delays when trying to use it. Others, however, think that it's great.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 6th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    What do you mean by "fail"

I'd assume that the only reason for a bank to refuse is because the card holder has no money in their account.... or do you mean something else?
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    They throw up a code 80 when the card holder swears there is money in the account. A previous incomplete journey will do it, often caused by the person thinking they have tapped when they havenít and have followed someone through the gate unaware. With an oyster, staff can correct, with a contactless card it simply gets refused.
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    the gardener
    ok I need to admit to being an employee of TFL. I forget gate codes as I am at home and a bit rusty. error codes with contactless have a number of issues. Card not approved /not enough funds from a previous journey to name a few issues. The issue with station staff not helping is that station staff cannot access the info on bank cards. Also cards are debited overnight.

What I would say to folk is to open an online account. There is a complaints procedure. Whilst customers may not always get the response they think they deserve, complaints are always investigated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin