Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    andrewd28
    Can I clear a default off my credit score??
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    Can I clear a default off my credit score?? 6th Sep 17 at 8:51 PM
    Evening all

A few years ago, I was silly and took a mobile phone contract out in my name for my partners. She decided to run up a huge bill while she was abroad that I couldn't afford to pay. The phone ended up getting cancelled etc and the debt passed on. Which I still couldn't afford to pay. My partner then told me that all of the debt etc had been transferred onto her name and credit file. For reasons unbeknown to myself I believed her. Understandably she is now my ex partner. However this phone contract has gone down as a default on my credit report. So I can't get mortgages at a normal rate or even a car on finance. I am now in a new job earning double than what I was doing and I am up to date with all bills. I've got an online shppping account that is paid well before interest starts with the buy now pay later. And a credit card which I recently paid off in full. As well as my Mobile phone

I've been trying for 2 years now to get my credit up, it is still poor on Experian but has improved and is almost at fair.

I paid roughly £400 of the £700 bill off to the debt company 2 years ago. As that was all I could afford. I've since spoken to them and they said even if I pay the rest it wouldn't change my credit score.

I would like to ask what my options are? Can I pay to have this default cleared off my score? Or if I pay the remainder will that clear it? I've just had a baby with my fianc! and this is preventing me from getting a mortgage or car. Really frustrating!!

Any advice or tips would be greatly welcomed.

Many thanks
Page 2
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ask for credentials before seeking any kind of financial advice on here.
    Originally posted by Ficofuture

Welcome to MSE - May i please ask your credentials .
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 8th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Narkynewt
    Haha thanks everyone. I'm going to phone the company nevertheless and try and speak to some sort of management. Only issue have now is remembering who the debt was with! It was initially with Orange mobile and was passed on. All I can remember is I'm sure they were based in Scotland and the company name they used consisted of only 3 letters. PDA PDI ..::: it's literally just come to me! PRA GROUP WAHOO
    Originally posted by andrewd28
    PRA Group will not remove the default from your credit file just because you pay it. I am currently in dispute with them regarding a default on my credit file from almost 5 years ago.

Some lenders still accept applications from individuals with defaults. The older they are the better, so I would perhaps wait until this default is at least 4 years old before applying for a mortgage.

You could put a note on your credit file yourself explaining the circumstances if you wish.

Good luck with everything!
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would
    I believe you are referring to the American FICO system.

It absolutely cannot be done in the UK unless you can prove that the default was incorrectly added. Defaults remain on your credit file for 6 years as do CCJs and any late payments.

Our system is different to yours.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Sep 17, 5:45 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    nic_c
    One persons experience does not make something extremely unlikely, and having a negative attitude means you are doomed before you start.........if you try being positive and make your best efforts, it can be done, and you have nothing to lose by trying.
    Though giving someone false hope isn't fair either. The OP had a debt run up (albeit by someone else running up the bill) that they couldn't afford to pay off, so it defaulted, though they have since paid some to a DCA. I assume they will still be dealing with the DCA. There is absolutely no reason the DCA would remove the default, as said it is a true reflection.

The only time I could see a default been removed was if it was a new default and you negotiated with the creditor whilst it was still fresh. If the creditor has to have DCAs involved they are highly unlikely to then remove the default.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

9,487Users online

Martin's Twitter