Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    andrewd28
    Can I clear a default off my credit score??
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    Can I clear a default off my credit score?? 6th Sep 17 at 8:51 PM
    Evening all

A few years ago, I was silly and took a mobile phone contract out in my name for my partners. She decided to run up a huge bill while she was abroad that I couldn't afford to pay. The phone ended up getting cancelled etc and the debt passed on. Which I still couldn't afford to pay. My partner then told me that all of the debt etc had been transferred onto her name and credit file. For reasons unbeknown to myself I believed her. Understandably she is now my ex partner. However this phone contract has gone down as a default on my credit report. So I can't get mortgages at a normal rate or even a car on finance. I am now in a new job earning double than what I was doing and I am up to date with all bills. I've got an online shppping account that is paid well before interest starts with the buy now pay later. And a credit card which I recently paid off in full. As well as my Mobile phone

I've been trying for 2 years now to get my credit up, it is still poor on Experian but has improved and is almost at fair.

I paid roughly £400 of the £700 bill off to the debt company 2 years ago. As that was all I could afford. I've since spoken to them and they said even if I pay the rest it wouldn't change my credit score.

I would like to ask what my options are? Can I pay to have this default cleared off my score? Or if I pay the remainder will that clear it? I've just had a baby with my fianc! and this is preventing me from getting a mortgage or car. Really frustrating!!

Any advice or tips would be greatly welcomed.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 13,498 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    The default will remain for 6 years. However, lenders will view you more positively if it is settled.

Ignore the scores the CRAs give you. They're fictional and have no relevance to your creditworthiness.
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 6th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andrewd28
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    Thank you. So it's there for good, no matter what?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 13,498 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    It's there for 6 years. The older it gets, the less impact it will have - especially if settled.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Thank you. So it's there for good, no matter what?
    Originally posted by andrewd28
    no only 6 years
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 6th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andrewd28
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    Ok thanks. Will the 6 years be from when the debt agency took the debt? Or from when I paid it? Or from when the phone was cut off? I can't remember what the company was called :/
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 13,498 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    None of them. From when it defaulted.
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 6th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andrewd28
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    Thanks, Is there anyway of finding out when it defaulted?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 13,498 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    It'll be on your credit file(s).
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 6th Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    Ask for credentials before seeking any kind of financial advice on here.
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    The best outcome is you pay in full on the understanding they REMOVE the default

Yes it can be done, but it wont be a quick phone call to the first person you speak to at the company, but if you are astute and professional, and get to deal with someone with the authority to agree such terms, it can be done
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 9,343 Thanks
    marliepanda
    The best outcome is you pay in full on the understanding they REMOVE the default

Yes it can be done, but it wont be a quick phone call to the first person you speak to at the company, but if you are astute and professional, and get to deal with someone with the authority to agree such terms, it can be done
    Originally posted by Ficofuture
    Unlikely. A credit report is supposed to be an accurate depiction of credit history. If they removed defaults because someone paid many years later, thats not an accurate depiction.

I agree with the post above you, ask for credentials before taking financial advice, such as yours, on this forum. What a wise poster that was...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 7th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    spadoosh
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would
    Originally posted by Ficofuture
    It can be done. Just like winning the lottery can be done that doesnt mean youre likely to win the lottery though.

@ OP i think you need to accept its there. You can try as ficofuture suggests but it is extremely unlikely and your argument will be weak, youre appealing to their goodwill. It took me 12 months to get a default removed due to fraudulent activity.

They have to follow a specific process which you can sometimes catch them out on but it doesnt seem to happen as much.

ETA my situation was i apparently took credit out with a catalogue company when i was 17. Clearly didnt have a leg to stand on but then it wasnt a quick and easy process to remove.
    Last edited by spadoosh; 07-09-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 7th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    spadoosh
    @ ficofuture

Why did you delete your post?

Are you finding out its not that likely to get a legitimate default removed?
    Don't be angry!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 9,343 Thanks
    marliepanda
    (post removed before I quoted it...)

The irony of that last sentence...

If you removed a default, then Mr o2 came along and gave you a new phone contract which you defaulted on again, Im sure theyd be quite cross that your old phone contract default was removed because of how friendly you are...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    I didn't remove it, the gods did....

It can be done, period

It's not easy, it may be judged as wrong, but I have done it, and would again

And I would grin massively if Mr 02 was "very cross" with me
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    Sorry

Quite cross
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    One persons experience does not make something extremely unlikely, and having a negative attitude means you are doomed before you start.........if you try being positive and make your best efforts, it can be done, and you have nothing to lose by trying.
    • andrewd28
    • By andrewd28 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andrewd28
    Haha thanks everyone. I'm going to phone the company nevertheless and try and speak to some sort of management. Only issue have now is remembering who the debt was with! It was initially with Orange mobile and was passed on. All I can remember is I'm sure they were based in Scotland and the company name they used consisted of only 3 letters. PDA PDI ..::: it's literally just come to me! PRA GROUP WAHOO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,931Posts Today

5,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin