Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peacockdreams1
    • By Peacockdreams1 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Peacockdreams1
    Help To Buy (Scotland) - First time buyer?
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    Help To Buy (Scotland) - First time buyer? 6th Sep 17 at 8:51 PM
    Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on my current situation and eligibility to apply for help to buy schemes in Scotland.

Around 4 years ago my ex partner and I bought a house with a joint mortgage. She put down the entire deposit with life savings and I was able to provide my own evidence of permanent employment and paid for all solicitor fees and home improvements jointly.

Unfortunately we split up around 6 months after buying the place and I moved out as she wanted to remain in the property. Our solicitor and mortgage advisor told us that we weren't able to change any detail on the house until after 2 years of ownership.

We waited for 2 years and after much paperwork and a small agreed settlement sum for me (around £2000 to cover furniture and home improvements I had contributed) - I was able to take my name off the house and mortgage and she got a new mortgage in her own name on the property.

Fast forward to the present and i'm considering buying a place of my own using a help to buy scheme with a 6% deposit saved up - looking at all of these schemes they all seem to be for first time buyers only. Does this mean that despite the fact that I don't own any property currently I cannot apply for any of these schemes?

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on speaking to an independent mortgage advisor on my options but thought i'd try on here first.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

3,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin