Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thoragunnr
    • By thoragunnr 6th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 46Thanks
    thoragunnr
    Barclays : Provisional Liscence isn't accepted as proof of ID?
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    Barclays : Provisional Liscence isn't accepted as proof of ID? 6th Sep 17 at 8:48 PM
    I went into a Barclays bank today whilst in town to ask for me booking an appointment so that me and my partner can open up a Help-to-buy ISA. He said that we needed to bring a Passport and something with proof of address BEFORE we can even be booked in for an appointment.
    I then mentioned that we both don't have a passport (we never needed one as we never left the country at all even before we met last year) so anyway I said we have our provisional Licence as our only ID. The assistant was quite rude by looking around him, giving me silence and humming whilst sinning his Ipad around... took him 5-10 minutes to ask if we had a citizenship card or a nation security card (or something like that - don't remember the correct thing he said) but we were both born in the UK and stayed here for our 23 years of life. He then did that silent treatment thing again before saying we needed a bill with the proof of address then "maybe see what we can use for ID"

SO I'm just wondering if this is true about a provisional license not being classed as ID? and what I could do about it?
    •• #238 £1000 ef; £14.00/£1,000 •• H2B; £120.00 •• BLS:£10.88/£15,000 ••
    •• Retirement: £4.86 •• New Home FundJar: £5.83p •• VOSS Jar £0.00 ••
Page 1
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 6th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    SO I'm just wondering if this is true about a provisional license not being classed as ID? and what I could do about it?
    Originally posted by thoragunnr
    Barclays' list of acceptable ID is here:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-i-need-to-open-a-bank-account/

It's the same list of ID whether you're applying for a current account or a savings account, including an ISA.

Provisional driving licence isn't listed, so yes, it is true. You can't force them to accept a provisional licence if it's not on their list, so your only choices are to come up with some ID which is on the list, or to try a different bank.
    Last edited by EarthBoy; 06-09-2017 at 9:24 PM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    Provisional license is definitely not taken as proof of ID, found that out just yesterday.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    http://www.barclays.co.uk/help/accounts/opening/what-id/

Proof of address is easy to get - council tax bill is the easiest example.
    Proof of ID may be trickier - a previous post on here said Barclays may take your right-to-work documentation which could be full birth certificate and NI card.

Provisional driving licence may be problematic with some places - as they can be issued to under 18's as you can learn to drive from 17 they may be problematic in pubs for example. But surely not a bank, you'd have thought.

Failing that ring the number on Barclay's site and say you don't have any of the required documentation listed on the site to open an account. You may have to say what you've got and they can tell you if they can take it.
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 6th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Chalkius
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    I used to work for them, Provisional licenses were not taken as proof of ID at the time. I think it's because it's probably not that hard to get a provisional license, but it's more difficult to get a full one so it's far less likely they'll be fake.

At least that's my guess.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    d123
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    took him 5-10 minutes to ask if we had a citizenship card or a nation security card (or something like that - don't remember the correct thing he said) but we were both born in the UK and stayed here for our 23 years of life.
    Maybe you should have listened a bit more or asked him to clarify, where you were born is immaterial to what he was talking about.

https://www.citizencard.com/

Many places don't accept the provisional licences as ID, there is nothing you can do about it.
    ====
    • username
    • By username 7th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    username
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    I used to work for them, Provisional licenses were not taken as proof of ID at the time. I think it's because it's probably not that hard to get a provisional license, but it's more difficult to get a full one so it's far less likely they'll be fake.

At least that's my guess.
    Originally posted by Chalkius
    I have never understood this either, since the only difference between a provisional and a full license is the ability to drive unsupervised. Which of course doesn't really have a bearing on whether you can get a mortgage or not. Also, it seems that some banks will only accept them up to a certain age.

Both are government issued pieces of documentation and one would have thought that all the relevant checks would have taken place before the issuance for the provisional.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    They don't accept my old fogey's bus pass either even though ID and entitlement has to be verified when one is applied for. But that's Barclays for you. Twice I have exclaimed "Bah!" and walked out the door of my local branch. Hey it's their loss not mine. How they actually manage to get accounts is beyond my understanding. There are plenty more banks.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 7th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    I went into a Barclays bank today whilst in town to ask for me booking an appointment so that me and my partner can open up a Help-to-buy ISA. He said that we needed to bring a Passport and something with proof of address BEFORE we can even be booked in for an appointment.
    I then mentioned that we both don't have a passport (we never needed one as we never left the country at all even before we met last year) so anyway I said we have our provisional Licence as our only ID. The assistant was quite rude by looking around him, giving me silence and humming whilst sinning his Ipad around... took him 5-10 minutes to ask if we had a citizenship card or a nation security card (or something like that - don't remember the correct thing he said) but we were both born in the UK and stayed here for our 23 years of life. He then did that silent treatment thing again before saying we needed a bill with the proof of address then "maybe see what we can use for ID"

You should complain about his attitude. If I were you, I would go into the branch, when it is busy, and speak to same rude assistant and tell him that you want to speak to the branch manager in order to complain about his attitude.

You could also write a complaint to their ceo Jes Staley.
    Last edited by Mchambers; 07-09-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 7th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    Uxb
    They don't accept my old fogey's bus pass either even though ID and entitlement has to be verified when one is applied for. But that's Barclays for you. Twice I have exclaimed "Bah!" and walked out the door of my local branch. Hey it's their loss not mine. How they actually manage to get accounts is beyond my understanding. There are plenty more banks.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Well one suspect that their customers are those who don't try and be difficult, read the T&C's provided and produce the ID requested.
    That way Barclays need not be wasting their time (phones/face to face/online whatever) providing a service for any of the UK's awkward squad who will be costing them admin time and money....and if they lose the accounts of this sector of the population I expect they will be delighted.

No financial service company will accept your bus pass as ID so singling out Barclays in this respect is misleading and nor does any finance company accept provisional driving licences either.

I never worked in Finance but in my sector we also had our share of the awkward customer - we simply refused to do any further quotes for them....and it was truly amazing how this resulted in a sudden "attitude re-adjustment".
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 7th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Well one suspect that their customers are those who don't try and be difficult, read the T&C's provided and produce the ID requested.
    That way Barclays need not be wasting their time (phones/face to face/online whatever) providing a service for any of the UK's awkward squad who will be costing them admin time and money....and if they lose the accounts of this sector of the population I expect they will be delighted.

No financial service company will accept your bus pass as ID so singling out Barclays in this respect is misleading and nor does any finance company accept provisional driving licences either.

I never worked in Finance but in my sector we also had our share of the awkward customer - we simply refused to do any further quotes for them....and it was truly amazing how this resulted in a sudden "attitude re-adjustment".
    Originally posted by Uxb
    I will remind you that Barclays are being prosecuted for fraud in 2019 as well as 3 of their directors (including their ex-ceo John Varley).

They have core behaviours, which their staff are expected to follow; including acting with honesty & integrity, customer excellence, etc. The rude branch man has clearly not followed these behaviours, hence my suggestion that the OP complain.

The thing that Barclays hates is bad press and losing customers; as it will cost them money.. I still have a current account with them for Kapersky but it only has £1-00 in it.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Presumably you don't both already have accounts with Barclays.

If you did, I'd be surprised if they wanted further evidence of ID.

The easiest solution to your problem may be for you both to open a current a current account with Barclays Bank online. They're unlikely to ask for ID.

Then, you can apply for a Help To Buy ISA online.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 7th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    nor does any finance company accept provisional driving licences either..
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Oh yes they do.....

HSBC accept it as proof of ID, but not address:

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_esf-ca-app-content/content/pws/content/personal/pdfs/help-us-to-identify-you.pdf

Lloyds accept it as proof of address, but not ID:

http://www.lloydsbank.com/legal/proof-of-identity.asp?srnum=1

Nationwide accept it as proof of name or address, but not both:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/proving-your-identity

TSB accept is as proof of ID but not address:

http://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/faqs/identity/
    • thoragunnr
    • By thoragunnr 10th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    thoragunnr
    I applied for natwest help to buy isa instead.
    I already have an account with them and just would be easier for me to transfer money easily
    •• #238 £1000 ef; £14.00/£1,000 •• H2B; £120.00 •• BLS:£10.88/£15,000 ••
    •• Retirement: £4.86 •• New Home FundJar: £5.83p •• VOSS Jar £0.00 ••
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 10th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    It's a bit odd, Barclays accept a provisional driving licence as ID over the counter, but not for account opening purposes. Conversely, a residence permit can be used to open an account but is not considered acceptable ID for any other purpose. It's a weird bit of inconsistency that probably stems from a continually evolving attitude toward risk and Department X not communicating with Department Y, rather than a plot to annoy customers (although it may seem that way).

I see OP has already explored other avenues but there would have been one potential solution that would have required no documents at all: apply for a current account online or using an in branch account opening point. If you can pass the electronic ID and Verification (having UK credit history, being registered to vote, etc) you can open a current account. Then you'd just have to wait to receive the card and PIN and you could open an ISA with no further requirements.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Kim_13
    This was a few years ago so they may have tightened up their requirements since then, but I found Barclays strange in that I was able to open a savings account with them with just a full photocard driving licence.

They said then that provisionals weren't accepted, so that requirement isn't new.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin