Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oufc1986
    • By oufc1986 6th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    oufc1986
    CTC/HB Daughter started work - Massive cut
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    CTC/HB Daughter started work - Massive cut 6th Sep 17 at 8:27 PM
    Hi, first time poster looking for some advice on CRC and HB.

Me and my wife had been receiving CTC for our 4 children and last year we were receiving £252 a week. My eldest daughter has now left education and started a full time, low paid job. With this change in circumstances our CTC is now £115. (£137 deficit) I was expecting it to go down but not by this much. Our other income is much the same as last year so we're not earning more anywhere else. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    With her starting work our HB has also dropped by £50 making a total deficit of £187 a week, she takes home just £200 per week from her wages. It seems like we are supposed to take all her wages from her!!
    We live in a very expensive area and rent privately, our rent is currently £1295 per month and that is cheap!! my wages do not leave me much after paying rent and CT and with a total loss of £748 every 3 weeks.

Just looking for advice as to wether this sounds right for the circumstance as teyinf to discuss it with an agent just confuses us!!

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    There must be another reason for the CTC reduction. What is the difference between your yearly award for last year and the award for this year?

When did the change happen? When did you report it?

Are you repaying any overpayments?
    • oufc1986
    • By oufc1986 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oufc1986
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    The change happened last month when we applied again, when we told them that she was starting work. They initially awarded us £49pw, as they wanted proof of the date she left education, once we provided the proof they put the award up to £115, but it still seems very low.

My wages were the only thing which was up slightly from the previous year but it was only about £800 difference.

There was an overpayment of around 3 weeks (the time of her leaving college to starting work and the new claim) but it didn't amount to much. I don't have correct figures with me as I'm at work at the moment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter