Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 6th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    steve_jones
    Barn Conversions harder to sell?
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    Barn Conversions harder to sell? 6th Sep 17 at 8:11 PM
    Hi,

Im looking for some advice, recently put my house on the market and looking to buy a barn conversion. However I'm a bit concerned about their re-sale ability. The ones on RightMove near me seem to have been on for a while, even if they are in good condition and layed out well. Is there any reason for this? Are they just in a niche market?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 23,959 Posts
    • 66,521 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    Ours was snapped up back in 2009. Not exactly peak market!

They are expensive and usually out of town, so they do have a niche market, but not for a lack of people that would like to own one.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 6th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    I'd love to have a barn conversion. I don't think re-sale would be a problem. They attract a premium which is why I've never been able to live in one (yet), but they're definitely on the ideal property list for me and a few people I know (who have been fortunate enough to buy them). Where I am, they fly off the market but they don't come up often.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    Its not a niche market exactly, but due to the costs involved in the conversion in the first place, together wit the fact that they're usually well-specced, leads to high selling prices which then leads to ongoing high selling prices next sale as the original buyers look to make money on their investment.

We live in North Yorkshire, we looked at a few barn conversions last to me we moved as we (at that time) thought we wanted one, I would say that prices on the barn conversions were between 10-25% higher than similar sized properties in the area. (E.g. 4 bed barn conversion was 15% more than 4 bed detached in the same village)

This means they can be out of reach of lots of people, which may explain why they don't always sell quickly. However there is always a market for them so I wouldn't worry about not being able to sell - you just may not get an instant sale.
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 6th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steve_jones
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

It seems the barns near me take around 4 months to a year to sell. Probably down to the slightly higher price, I've also been told they seem to attract people in their 30's which means they can be out of reach to some.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 7th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 7,249 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    martindow
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Some barn conversions are very close together where farm buildings have been converted into several houses. Although in a rural setting you can have several very close neighbours and small gardens which is not what many people are looking in a rural house.

Planners are very keen to retain the appearance of the original building which can mean very small windows. What one person finds cosy and full of character others see as dark and depressing.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    cloo
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    Are ones near year next to or near large roads, maybe? I see quite a lot of barn conversions that are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,563Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter