Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 18,406Posts
    • 14,122Thanks
    agrinnall
    Android call recorder recommendation
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    Android call recorder recommendation 6th Sep 17 at 7:36 PM
    Can anyone recommend a call recording app for me?

My phone is a Google (LG) Nexus 5X, currently on Android 7.1.2 (although I believe the 5X is one of the phones that is due to get Android 8).

I'd like it to record outgoing calls (which I think rules out using Google Voice) and I want to be able to choose which calls are recorded. I'd prefer it if I didn't have to put the phone on speaker for the app to work.

Free would be good, but I'd be prepared to pay a few quid if necessary.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 25,669 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    I have CallX. It does have adverts but as i rarely have to open the app to view anything its never been a problem. If you need to listen to a recording just copy to a pc etc.

Whether it records directly from the internal system or records from the speakers will depend on the device.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 14,122 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try (it seems to be called Automatic Call Recorder now, that's if it is this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsrobot.callrecorder&hl=en). A few recent complaints about not recording the full call, although their standard response seems to be that it's the phone's battery settings that cause most problems.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    It won't work unless you've rooted your phone. The APIs that allow call recording were removed by Google some time back.

BTW I've already got Android 8 via the beta program - it's easy to sign up if you want it now.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 14,122 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    Is that why so many people say the call has to be on speaker for the recording to work? Did Google ever give a reason why they removed the APIs?
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 7th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    Possibly. I don't know if Google ever confirmed the reasons behind the decision but one theory is that the feature was removed because it's illegal to record calls in some countries.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 7th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    or you have to inform the caller the phone call is being recorded as most Call Centers do
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 25,669 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    None of my phones, S2, S4 and current S6 needed to be rooted to record calls.

Thats the one SMSROBOT LTD

Pereviously i used Galaxy dedicated recorders but for some reason i chose that one.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 07-09-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    There are few in the android store.....I've used BOLDBEAST call recorder succesfully. Absolutely no need for phone to be rooted....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 7th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    thescouselander
    None of my phones, S2, S4 and current S6 needed to be rooted to record calls.

Thats the one SMSROBOT LTD

Pereviously i used Galaxy dedicated recorders but for some reason i chose that one.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

Those phones are at least two versions behind the latest android - the APIs were removed from version 7 IIRC.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I'm with RumRat. Boldbbeast works fine for me on Android on a bog standard unrooted Motorola.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 8th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I'm with RumRat. Boldbbeast works fine for me on Android on a bog standard unrooted Motorola.
    Originally posted by A. Badger

The reviews say that Boldbeast doesn't work on the Nexus 5x and replies from the developer confirm root is needed.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 8th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 3,322 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Take a look at "call Recorder" by skvalex
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1441643

You have to get it via the XDA boards (google removed it recently from the Play store)

Might need ROOT depends on the version of android OS and phone
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    AndyPix
    They removed the API due to privacy concerns.
    Along with the API that allowed the initiation of GPS.

Now, if you want your app to use GPS functionality then you have to request the user to turn it on.

I had fun making all sorts of apps that worked as a full on spy suite for a while, installing them on my mates phones, and then controling them by dropping commands on a c&c server

mwahahaa
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    DoaM
    The reviews say that Boldbeast doesn't work on the Nexus 5x and replies from the developer confirm root is needed.
    Originally posted by thescouselander
    The listing says it does work on the 5X ... provided that it is rooted. (Not looked at the reviews for the 5X). For my own phone (Huawei P9 Lite) the listing and reviews both say it works without rooting.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin