Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Declined everywhere I go
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    Declined everywhere I go 6th Sep 17 at 5:07 PM
    Hi guys, I am severly depressed as I cannot get a frickin bank account anywhere. I was a victim of fraud which took place on my bank account a year ago and now I feel like im drowning in a dark hole.

I am working on getting my name removed from CIFAS but it just seems a very long and stubborn proccess.

Every high street bank dont allow me to even open the simplest of accounts. And the bad news is I tried to open a cashplus prepaid account just to get my wages sent in and even they denied me. I am depressed and frustrated and feel like I have no meaning anymore.

What do I do?
Page 2
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Do not! They risk losing their account. If their bank sees a third party salary being paid in it will be closed and they too will find it hard to get another bank account.

All banks will have this in their terms and conditions when you open an account.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Right, Jim, didn't know that.

Although....looking online, it seems to be quite common.
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 06-09-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Prepaid accounts do not do credit checks doesnt mean they dont do fraud checks. That seems to be the case here.

However, i will formally complain im just worried I wont get no where as this is a long and stressful process.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 6th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    Can you not use a relative's account to have your wages paid into?
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    I work for a payroll bureau processing payrolls for numerous companies who have outsourced the task. This certainly IS an option & I've seen it many times.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 6th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Do not! They risk losing their account. If their bank sees a third party salary being paid in it will be closed and they too will find it hard to get another bank account.

All banks will have this in their terms and conditions when you open an account.
    I don't know of any bank that has this in their terms and conditions. Can you name one, please? Also, how would the bank know that the salary is a "third party" one? They will only know where the money has come from, not who the intended payee is, if it isn't the account holder.
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    How do you know its ok to use a relatives account if my employer asks for my name and bank details when i was hired? Then again im not sure as i have bigger worries such as getting markers removed from my name.

What am i going to do if nationwide pops up on the report for marking me even though they denied placing any sort of marker against me?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Ed-1
    How do you know its ok to use a relatives account if my employer asks for my name and bank details when i was hired? Then again im not sure as i have bigger worries such as getting markers removed from my name.

What am i going to do if nationwide pops up on the report for marking me even though they denied placing any sort of marker against me?
    Originally posted by Ahmsbelkz
    Who is 'they' - which department in Nationwide have you spoken to? General phone operators won't have a clue why the account was closed.

It's the Nationwide Special Investigations Unit staff that will know the details.

Did Nationwide send you a letter?
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Good point. It was customer service that told me the amount that was attempted to be deposited into my account. When i asked them if they had put a marker against me they denied it.

How do you contact the Nationwide special investigations staff?

I got a regular letter stating my account was going to be closed.
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Just a thought:

What is the purpose of CIFAS giving you a report on what is held about you if banks arent allowed to disclose information about you? So once the CIFAS report arrives, what then? I will have to contact a bank that doesnt give me information and have already denied marking me...
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Just a thought:

What is the purpose of CIFAS giving you a report on what is held about you if banks arent allowed to disclose information about you? So once the CIFAS report arrives, what then? I will have to contact a bank that doesnt give me information and have already denied marking me...
    If the CIFAS SAR shows that Nationwide have loaded an entry onto the National Fraud Database then Nationwide can't deny that they've done it! You've got physical proof that you can show them. They can then contact the department that will have put in on and you can take it from there.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Good point. It was customer service that told me the amount that was attempted to be deposited into my account. When i asked them if they had put a marker against me they denied it.

I got a regular letter stating my account was going to be closed.
    Have you still got that 'regular letter'? Did it say which department it was from?

Was it similar to this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5383304
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Shakin Steve

The poster knows that it's ok because, as they explained, they work for payroll. So...get your wages paid into someone else's account, that way you have access to your wages. That gives you the time to go through the options available to you, as other members have explained. Good luck.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Have you still got that 'regular letter'? Did it say which department it was from?

Was it similar to this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5383304
    Yes exactly like that.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Ed-1
    From this thread:

You can contact our Special Investigations Department on 08457 77 88 33. They are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm. Alternatively, you can call our free phone number 0800 30 20 11 and they can transfer you to our Special Investigations Department.
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    From this thread:

You can contact our Special Investigations Department on 08457 77 88 33. They are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm. Alternatively, you can call our free phone number 0800 30 20 11 and they can transfer you to our Special Investigations Department.
    Do you work for nationwide? I will do even though they denied black marking me. I am yet to speak to the SID though. We'll see how it goes.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Do you work for nationwide? I will do even though they denied black marking me. I am yet to speak to the SID though. We'll see how it goes.
    No. I've followed many of these threads though (and also had experience with SID myself...).
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 6th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    How did that go? Are SID any helpful
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    worried jim
    I don't know of any bank that has this in their terms and conditions. Can you name one, please? Also, how would the bank know that the salary is a "third party" one? They will only know where the money has come from, not who the intended payee is, if it isn't the account holder.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Guess what I used to do for the UK's largest retail bank!

I won't go into specifics but cases like this were my bread and butter.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 6,698 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    d123

And yet there seem to be procedures in place for exactly this eventuality.

For example
    I have had a few situations now where employees have put a third party's bank details on their employment forms - in one case definitely a parent; in other cases I presume their living partner. The employees have to fill in the form informing us of the bank details but don't have to sign this particular form. Maybe I'm being over-cautious coming from a practice background (money laundering etc) into industry but should we be getting signed confirmation from both parties if the account name is not that of the employee? Having said that, how would we know if J Bloggs on the account name was Joseph or Jordan Bloggs? It would only ever be a different surname or initial that would alert us to the fact that it's not their account.
    Get a signature

I have used the following wording although it has not been checked with a lawyer:

"I hereby authorise and direct you to pay my salary into the following bank account: ........ I confirm that although this account is not in my name, the payment of my salary to that account will be accepted by me as if it had been made to an account in my name. This authority is to remain in force in respect of all future salary payments and until three working days after I cancel it in writing.

Full name..................

Signature..................

Date................"

I do not see why you would need the account holder's agreement.

We advise our clients to obtain signatures to the HMRC starter form and to the bank authority form although there is no legal requirement for this.

If you are in a regulated industry and suspect a money laundering offence e.g. you think the employee is trying to hide the salary from the Benefits Agency, then you/your MLRO may need to make a ML report and seek the authority of the NCA before carrying out the first transaction.

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/employees-bank-accounts

And another

If you’ve had bad credit in the past, you might find it hard to get a traditional bank account. And if this is the case and you’re starting a new job, you might want your employer to pay your wages into your partner’s account.

You can do this if you want – your employer can pay your wages into any account you want. But is it the best way to get your wages or can you get your own account? Let’s take a look at your options.

You can do this

As we explained, it is possible to get your wages in your partner’s account. You don’t need to worry that this is fraud or against any rules – your employer will just ask which account you want your wages to go into.
    https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-advice/can-i-have-my-wages-paid-into-my-partners-account-0-8549-0.htm
    Last edited by d123; 06-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    ====
    • Ahmsbelkz
    • By Ahmsbelkz 7th Sep 17, 12:17 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ahmsbelkz
    Thankyou very much "d123" that takes some stress of my back. Although i wont rest until i have my own bank account.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 7th Sep 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    EarthBoy

If you won't go into specifics it suggests that you can't substantiate your claims. I've checked the terms and conditions for some of the major banks and I can't find any condition which forbids a third party from paying in their salary, as you allege.

SevenOfNine works for a payroll company where this is common and I personally have friends who have done, and continue to do it, with no repercussions.
    Last edited by EarthBoy; 07-09-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter