Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Imnoexpert
    • By Imnoexpert 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 285Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Imnoexpert
    Asset Allocations - Other
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    Asset Allocations - Other 6th Sep 17 at 4:54 PM
    I'm confused again

I'm trying to think through a financial advisers strategy for its 'balanced' portfolio. He has kindly given me a trustnet print out but the columns containing the following add up to 38%. So not within the 5 asset classes listed separately.
    Alternative assets (6%)
    Alternative Investment strategies (6%)
    Undisclosed (6%)
    Other (20%)
    In the geographic sector
    Money market (4.48%)
    Other 9.58%
    6% undisclosed

Can anyone shed any light on this. I have a few hunches but as the name suggests I am no expert.
Page 1
    • aberlyfid_2000
    • By aberlyfid_2000 6th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aberlyfid_2000
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    could you please clarify what your question is about specifically?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 89,593 Posts
    • 56,068 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    If the output is from trustnet then you would not be able to guess/recognise which model they are following as trustnet data uses the underlying assets as a snapshot. And realistically, you as a consumer, would not recognise the model as you do not have access to the model in the public domain.

That list seems to be the bottom half as its missing a bunch of sectors.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    Get your adviser to give you a full print out and explain the function of each asset. Also get them to explain all the fees.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Imnoexpert
    • By Imnoexpert 6th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Imnoexpert
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    Thanks for some quick responses

aberlyfid_2000
    Sometimes very specific questions aren't as helpful as open ones which are more useful at garnering the information you didn't know you didn't know. I appreciate they are often more difficult to deal with.

One question is: What assets could be included in the global headings I listed.? It could be fine wines, or the fund manager's hedge fund for all I know. I suppose I want to know if my money is invested in real stuff or is it derivatives, or sub prime mortgages or daffodils or ground nuts or .....

dunstonh
    I'm sure you are, as ever, right. I have access to the top bits and I think I understand them for example Uk, Equities US Equities etc. How do I get access to the detail behind the bottom bit? I'm sure the IFA isn't deliberately hiding it, or even perish the thought patronising me thinking I won't understand it. I just want to know what the subheadings are, not at this stage the percentages of each. For me I don't think it is unreasonable to take an interest in this as it is our money after all and I value transparency even if it don't always like or understand what I see.

bostonerimus
    You divert me from my question nicely

I will ask (of course), and as for charges my IFA has raised his rate of charge from 0.5% to 0.75% of the value of assets under investment p.a. He claimed that that at 0.5% I was on a historic rate and that under the fair treatment of customers rules of the FCA (or somesuch) he couldn't continue to offer me such a 'good deal' as it would be unfair to his other customers. I won't comment on that! I guess that costs, and the laws of supply and demand are the real reasons. At the end of the day a customer votes with his feet.

I tried to keep my question short.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10,708 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    What fund or funds is he using?
    • aberlyfid_2000
    • By aberlyfid_2000 6th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aberlyfid_2000
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    it looks as though around 4% is held in cash or cash equivalents, as to the remainder, it could be infratsructure, private equity etc (up to 6%) or anything really. as bigadaj suggests, a look at the underlying funds, rather than the trustnet categories, would give you more specific information.

so how is the remaining 62% split?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    Without wishing to give you a hard time, are you really asking people here what "undisclosed " and "other" are ?

You'll have to ask your IFA but my guess would be it's some private funds he uses and so you'll have to ask him. Either you have confidence in him and go with it, or bail out and make your own choices.

Nearly 40% unknown would be far too large for me.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 7th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    Nearly 40% unknown would be far too large for me.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I count 54% unknown. "Alternative assets" and "Alternate investment strategies" also need to be included, given that they could be invested in absolutely anything.

As others have said you will need to ask the adviser and/or tell us what the underlying funds are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter