Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 6th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,810Posts
    • 358Thanks
    hubb
    Sky retention, good offer ?
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    Sky retention, good offer ? 6th Sep 17 at 4:37 PM
    I have been with Sky 4 years and last year they gave me a discount making BB and line rental (no free phone) with up to 17 mb unlimited for £21.49. They have offered me the same again for another 12 months. I put it to them that a new customer gets the same introductory deal for £16.67 a month but they came back with the fact that I have had discounts with them all the years I have been with them.

Don't really want the upheaval of moving provider as Sky have always been pretty good so before I accept, does it seem a reasonable offer ?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    On the main site is a deal with Plusnet which beats the Sky offer over 18 months, to the tune of £2.61 a month, or a saving of just under £47. If price is the bottom line you'll have to move, otherwise it is what it is if they don't budge. How much of a discount were you getting, it should say on your bill?

There is no major upheaval these days of moving provider you just fill a form out, wait three weeks or so, swap the router over (or reconfigure it) on transfer day and Bob's your uncle.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Sep 17, 12:11 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:11 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:11 AM
    Are plusnet as good as Sky ?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    I have been with Sky 4 years and last year they gave me a discount making BB and line rental (no free phone) with up to 17 mb unlimited for £21.49. They have offered me the same again for another 12 months. I put it to them that a new customer gets the same introductory deal for £16.67 a month but they came back with the fact that I have had discounts with them all the years I have been with them.

Don't really want the upheaval of moving provider as Sky have always been pretty good so before I accept, does it seem a reasonable offer ?
    Originally posted by hubb
    Just 2 or 3 weeks ago I noted down these deals from Plusnet & BT as I was looking at how much I was paying for ADSL from Sky:

Right now I could get Plusnet ADSL for £19.99 with £50 cashback from themselves which equates to just £15.82 a month, 40Mbps for £24.99 or up to 67Mbps for £29.99 a month.

BT have up to 52Mbps fibre which with the £150 gift card equals just £22.49 a month.
    The deals have changed now but they'll probably change again next week (including Sky's) so I would keep my eye out for the best offer and if Sky wont at least match it simply change (presuming you can get it where you are).

For reference I'm paying £17.40 at the moment to Sky for up to 17Mbps although I usually get around 18 to 19Mbps due to location.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    Just 2 or 3 weeks ago I noted down these deals from Plusnet & BT as I was looking at how much I was paying for ADSL from Sky:

The deals have changed now but they'll probably change again next week (including Sky's) so I would keep my eye out for the best offer and if Sky wont at least match it simply change (presuming you can get it where you are).

For reference I'm paying £17.40 at the moment to Sky for up to 17Mbps although I usually get around 18 to 19Mbps due to location.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Are you paying £17.40 because of an introductory offer ?

I looked into Plusnet but their trustpilot reviews are appalling, contrary to their rating here in Martin's broadband and line postcode comparison page . Will stick with Sky I think.
    Last edited by hubb; 07-09-2017 at 9:59 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    No, I got them to discount the price rise back in March, it should be £18.99 for the line rental.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    I want to join Tonik but my BG fixed ends on 3rd Oct so not sure if too early to switch and miss out on my current very low tariff. If anyone can confirm I will be happy to use a link here.
    I thought it was your spell checker gone awry but after a quick Google I guess you're in the wrong forum
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:34 PM

I looked into Plusnet but their trustpilot reviews are appalling, contrary to their rating here in Martin's broadband and line postcode comparison page . Will stick with Sky I think.

I turned down Sky's offer of £17.40 (ie full price line and free ADSL).This was before the price combination but a poor offer compared to PlusNet's free ADSL and £15.49 line (paid in advance) plus 99p for caller display,which Sky includes.

The move was easy and I took PlusNet's own voucher offer instead of TCB's offer (the former being more and the two offers not to be combined.)

Though quoted up to 5Mbps for Sky I got 6+ most of the time, with hardly any dropout (just once a year which appeared to be the system overhaul time. )

PlusNet's speeds were at most 3, frequently dropping out or too slow even for a test screen to load. It took2-3 months to fully sort out but now 4+ is usually the best I get (with a (very) occasional 5).

Customer service was terrible with 45 minute phone waits or online chat which moved you to another queue (the back of course) then cut you off as you got to under 10 to go.

I was determined to go back to Sky in October,but if they have acquired more customers I may no longer get the 6+ (no fibre here) and now people are describing Sky's service to appear as bad as Plusnet's ,when it used to be so easy to get through and actually speak to a tech, rather than a regular cs person.

Now I think it will come down to price, bearing in mind that PlusNet charge moving to an LLU using company (such as Sky or TalkTalk) as a cease.

PlusNet T&Cs no longer mention LLU specifically, when listing who has to pay a cease fee, so I'm wondering if they have reverted to the previous policy of not charging.( LLU was, mentioned from last summer, when they decided to include moves to LLU)
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    I think I will stick with the Devil I know as I know I can get up to 5mps with them and don't want to run the risk of going lower with Plusnet. I am dealing with Sky via Facebook messaging but their replies are sporadic with very large breaks between them.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 7th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    nickcc
    With Sky tv for close on 25 years. Changed to Sky broadband and landline some 3 years ago. Kicked Sky t v out totally 15 months ago and just switched to EE for landline and broadband. Sky charging £38 per month for landline and broadband and new EE charge just over £11 per month with the MSE deal. No brainier dropping Sky In my opinion especially as this is a money saving web site.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    I can't see Sky charging £38 anywhere for BB/line rental.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Sep 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I can't see Sky charging £38 anywhere for BB/line rental.
    Must have been one of the fibre deals, they change the prices on an almost daily basis (as do they all).
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 8th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    nickcc
    No not fibre. The £38 included anytime calls plus caller display and answerphone, the EE deal is for evenings and weekend calls only plus free caller display and answerphone.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    teddysmum
    No not fibre. The £38 included anytime calls plus caller display and answerphone, the EE deal is for evenings and weekend calls only plus free caller display and answerphone.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    As you have no anytime element, you aren't comparing like for like and Sky don't charge for caller display, though they do now charge for answerphone, which I cancelled even when free.

Have you not haggled deals in all that time ?
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 8th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    nickcc
    But if you add on the anytime package it still only comes to less than £18 with EE per month. Sky increased their charges a few months ago from the mid £20's that's why I switched. Sky did offer me a deal at just under £30 but after all the haggling over getting a better satellite deal I decided to kick them out all together.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 10th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    So if I go with EE via Top Cashback (£125) as well as pay line rental upfront (saving 10%) and bag the £100 it could be a real winner. Even the 38mbs fibre tarrif (after the discount and cashback etc) isn't far off what I am paying with Sky.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 10th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    nickcc
    I think the offer has finished unless it's been re started.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 10th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    I think the offer has finished unless it's been re started.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    It finishes on the 21st of this month.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 11th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    So much for Matrain's advise that Sky are one of the best to haggle with. Told them of the EE offer and they just advise to contact EE direct and ask them to access the service as an Active Line Takeover.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter