Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jam1991
    • By jam1991 6th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 13Thanks
    jam1991
    Probation Dismissal
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    Probation Dismissal 6th Sep 17 at 4:18 PM
    Not really sure if anything can be done with regards to my partners job situation but here goes...

She works in Childcare within a Nursery.
    Current role was Team Leader in charge of several staff with additional responsibilities.
    She started the role in late April, normal day to day service had resumed from her previous employer.

Rumours circulated that the company maybe looking to adjust/make changes to it's services and open offices.

Late July an incident occured in which a subordinate broke procedure (in my partner's absent attending to other duties) causing an investigation to be carried out.

Ultimately a review meeting was held, whereby myself & partner believed this was to review the incident and edcuate for the future.

What actually occured was Management & HR attended and dismissed my partner on the basis of not following procedure. This has come as a great shock and upset to her. I feel this was done very underhand with zero HR communication or Meeting details prior to walking into the room.

In the last few weeks it has come to light that a long term staff member has replaced my partner from a sheduled closure part of the business.

Essentially seems my partner being in her probation period was an easy target to dismiss. Still awaiting paperwork and appeal process.

My main purpose of this post, is do we have any rights or grounds to challenge?

TIA
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    There are no right in the first 2 years of employment. Except for discrimination - disability, etc
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    Not really sure if anything can be done with regards to my partners job situation but here goes...

She works in Childcare within a Nursery.
    Current role was Team Leader in charge of several staff with additional responsibilities.
    She started the role in late April, normal day to day service had resumed from her previous employer.

Rumours circulated that the company maybe looking to adjust/make changes to it's services and open offices.

Late July an incident occured in which a subordinate broke procedure (in my partner's absent attending to other duties) causing an investigation to be carried out.

Ultimately a review meeting was held, whereby myself & partner believed this was to review the incident and edcuate for the future.

What actually occured was Management & HR attended and dismissed my partner on the basis of not following procedure. This has come as a great shock and upset to her. I feel this was done very underhand with zero HR communication or Meeting details prior to walking into the room.

In the last few weeks it has come to light that a long term staff member has replaced my partner from a sheduled closure part of the business.

Essentially seems my partner being in her probation period was an easy target to dismiss. Still awaiting paperwork and appeal process.

My main purpose of this post, is do we have any rights or grounds to challenge?

TIA
    Originally posted by jam1991

No. Less than 2 years employment. They could sack her for pretty much any reason
    • polgara
    • By polgara 6th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    polgara
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    As others have said with less than 2 years' service they can let anyone go but see what the reason for dismissal is.

Also 'bumping' can be a valid business decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,162Posts Today

8,688Users online

Martin's Twitter