Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 404Posts
    • 170Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Selling old car - insurance query
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    Selling old car - insurance query 6th Sep 17 at 4:17 PM
    Hi All,

I'm currently selling my old car, which is sat on the driveway taxed but not insured. My full insurance policy was moved to my new car.

My question is, how can I arrange for potential buyers to test drive the old car?

1) Does their own insurance cover them (if so would I ask them to prove it)?
    2) Am I responsible for arranging cover for that day taking the risk they won't show?
    3) Should I ask the buyer to arrange cover (doesn't sound ideal, I wouldn't like being told this as a buyer...) ?
    4) Should I just sell to a local 2nd hand trade seller for half the asking price and let them worry about it?

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £16,150 :/ , Mortgage: 130k - Savings: £600
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 6th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,589 Posts
    • 3,993 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    You need to declare the vehicle SORN.

The Continuous Insurance Enforcement rules made it illegal to keep a vehicle taxed but not insured - this is detected and enforced by automated data trawls by MIB or and DVLA so even for a short period you run the risk of being caught out by it.

This has been the case for at least 5 or 6 years now.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    Thanks BeenThroughItAll, so how would you suggest I proceed to sell this? If I SORN I'm still not able to offer a test drive, so I assume I should pay £600 to insure for the rest of the year and take the refund when it actually sells?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 15,445 Posts
    • 13,771 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    I'm currently selling my old car, which is sat on the driveway taxed but not insured.
    Originally posted by dcouponzzzz
    You are breaking the law, and will receive a penalty through the post. If a car is not insured, it MUST be SORNed. If it's taxed, it MUST be insured.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 33,243 Posts
    • 17,186 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    If you only want to sell it yourself you've a stark choice. Either insure it or sorning it

If you want to offer test drives then you need to insure it.

Another option is to sell it to a second hand car buyer company prepared to collect it
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    Thanks Adrian, I'm aware of this from BeenThroughItAll's post. Could you suggest a course of action either way? I'm in a position to insure it or SORN it, I'm hoping for an educated opinion on what action to take. Whichever I do take, I'll be taking it tonight.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    If you only want to sell it yourself you've a stark choice. Either insure it or sorning it

If you want to offer test drives then you need to insure it.

Another option is to sell it to a second hand car buyer company prepared to collect it
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks for the clarity Quentin, I'll choose to insure it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 15,445 Posts
    • 13,771 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    Thanks Adrian, I'm aware of this from BeenThroughItAll's post. Could you suggest a course of action either way? I'm in a position to insure it or SORN it, I'm hoping for an educated opinion on what action to take. Whichever I do take, I'll be taking it tonight.
    It all depends on how you're looking to sell it.

You can take the quick-but-low-return route, and use WBAC or similar.
    You can take the slow-and-hassle-but-more-money route, and sell it privately.

To test drive it, a potential buyer will need their own cover - which you really do need to check - which may well stipulate that the car needs to be insured in its own right. If it's SORNed, and their cover doesn't stipulate that it needs to be separately insured, then they will be covered to test-drive it, but there's the potential for a fine (and clamping) if it's seen on the road untaxed. The moment the potential buyer gets out from the driver's seat, it'll be uninsured - and if it's seen on the road, it will almost certainly be seized.
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 6th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    How much is it (realistically) worth? This could have a bearing on the advice you're given.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Why not contact your existing insurance company and ask them how much they would charge to keep the old car on temporarily until you sold it?

Although I'm not sure it would help with test drives unless you're the one driving and the buyer is just a passenger/you're willing to take the risk of being out of pocket in event of an accident.

Typically your insurance will only cover you (ie policy holder & named drivers) to drive the car. Their insurance will typically only offer max cover of third party/theft when they are driving another car. Also, it would be prudent to ask them to prove they have adequate insurance because if they do not, both of you could be guilty of an offence.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    How much is it (realistically) worth? This could have a bearing on the advice you're given.
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    It's realistically worth a meagre £700
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Thanks Adrian/UnholyAngel, I definitely feel more informed now
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    unholyangel
    OP how about this. get your car valued by a place like we buy any car and also get prices for how much other people are selling them for privately. Then work out how many months tax & insurance could be paid from the difference in the 2 prices.

If its only 2-3 months, I'd say save yourself any potential hassle and sell for the cheaper price to the trader. If its more, then perhaps consider trying to sell it privately first.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    OP how about this. get your car valued by a place like we buy any car and also get prices for how much other people are selling them for privately. Then work out how many months tax & insurance could be paid from the difference in the 2 prices.

If its only 2-3 months, I'd say save yourself any potential hassle and sell for the cheaper price to the trader. If its more, then perhaps consider trying to sell it privately first.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    The advertised price for similar cars is between £700-850 (I expect actual sale price is lower), tax is £21 a month, and insurance is £50 a month to add it to my current policy which expires in April (or £360 outright). Webuyanycar offer £150... so essentially I could tax and insure it until my next policy renewal and still have not exceeded the difference.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 15,445 Posts
    • 13,771 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The advertised price for similar cars is between £700-850 (I expect actual sale price is lower), tax is £21 a month, and insurance is £50 a month to add it to my current policy which expires in April (or £360 outright). Webuyanycar offer £150... so essentially I could tax and insure it until my next policy renewal and still have not exceeded the difference.
    Great - there's your answer... Good luck with the sale!
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 6th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Great - there's your answer... Good luck with the sale!
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter