Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bomsk10
    • By bomsk10 6th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bomsk10
    PCP VT Valuation
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    PCP VT Valuation 6th Sep 17 at 3:53 PM
    I've just VT'd a Jeep Cherokee. The valuer has advised me he thinks the three side panels on the driver side have been repainted at some point. His evidence are three tiny bumps in the paintwork he described as dirt in the paint. I have had the vehicle since new so I know I haven't had this done. So there are two possibilities;

1. The dealer who sold me the vehicle had this done prior to me picking it up. Even when pointed out I could only just make out the marks so would have had no chance of spotting them when I pickled it up.

2. This is simply a way of obtaining more cash out of me on return.

How do I go about proving either of the above. Would greatly appreciate help as I a m being charged over a £1k total for 'damage'.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    Who's the finance with? Assuming it was a main dealer purchase then raise it with them and the finance company. If all else fails raise a complaint with the FOS.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 06-09-2017 at 4:52 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 15,472 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    I've just VT'd a Jeep Cherokee. The valuer has advised me he thinks the three side panels on the driver side have been repainted at some point. His evidence are three tiny bumps in the paintwork he described as dirt in the paint. I have had the vehicle since new so I know I haven't had this done. So there are two possibilities;

1. The dealer who sold me the vehicle had this done prior to me picking it up.
    Originally posted by bomsk10
    It's entirely possible - likely, even. New cars often are damaged in transit and repaired before delivery. However, it's not terribly relevant now. If the panels were poorly repaired prior to you receiving the vehicle, you should have flagged it at that time. Now - several years later - you have no hope of getting redress.

There's an industry-standard guide to what's acceptable on a returned financed vehicle.
    http://www.drive-electric.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Fair_Wear_Tear.pdf

If the damage is worse than that acceptable standard, then it doesn't matter why or who did it - you have agreed to cover the cost.
    If the damage is more minor than that acceptable standard, then they should not be charging you.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    It's entirely possible - likely, even. New cars often are damaged in transit and repaired before delivery. However, it's not terribly relevant now. If the panels were poorly repaired prior to you receiving the vehicle, you should have flagged it at that time. Now - several years later - you have no hope of getting redress.

There's an industry-standard guide to what's acceptable on a returned financed vehicle.
    http://www.drive-electric.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Fair_Wear_Tear.pdf

If the damage is worse than that acceptable standard, then it doesn't matter why or who did it - you have agreed to cover the cost.
    If the damage is more minor than that acceptable standard, then they should not be charging you.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I don't agree. The OP is not an expert in appraising bodywork/paint damage or inconsistencies and is not expected to be so. They've got this car and taken the subsequent finance out in good faith, if the paintwork is poor when the OP received it, albeit not obvious to him, then he should not bear any liability for it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 15,472 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    The OP is not an expert in appraising bodywork/paint damage or inconsistencies and is not expected to be so.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I didn't say they did.

They've got this car and taken the subsequent finance out in good faith, if the paintwork is poor when the OP received it, albeit not obvious to him, then he should not bear any liability for it.
    And how is the OP going to prove, several years later, that it was like that when it was delivered? Even if they can, is there even any provision in the contract for such buck-passing, or are they just responsible regardless of who caused the damage...?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 15,671 Posts
    • 8,981 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    I don't agree. The OP is not an expert in appraising bodywork/paint damage or inconsistencies and is not expected to be so. They've got this car and taken the subsequent finance out in good faith, if the paintwork is poor when the OP received it, albeit not obvious to him, then he should not bear any liability for it.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    You might not agree, but what AdrianC says is the only way it can work.
    • The O/P cant take it back to the dealer. Its been 3 years literally ANYTHING could have happened to the car in the meantime.
    • The car has been VT'd anyone, so its gone, not to be brought back
    • Saying "oh i didnt know" is not going to hold water with the finance company.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • bomsk10
    • By bomsk10 7th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bomsk10
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    Reading the BVRLA guide it refers to poor workmanship and poorly matching paint. Quite frankly the 'indicators' to the repaint were less than a millimetre each and could only be seen when staring directly at them from about a foot way. The paintwork was completely matching and the OP only picked it up because he was looking at a small door knock just above it and the sun was shining directly on it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    I suppose one thing that might help avoid these situations is to get your car evaluated prior to handing it over. Somebody must provide this kind of service, it would be handy to know?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

888Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter