Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 193Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Smb3088
    Plumbing toilet Issue
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    Plumbing toilet Issue 6th Sep 17 at 3:40 PM
    I think I must be jinxed with plumbing.. So over it lol. But I got a new toilet fitted and there seems after 3 months to have developed a leak. Near the base of the loo, with the silver bolt that connects to the water in pipe. Just above the valve that would turn the water off to the toilet. A small leak around the metal silver nut. I tried to tighten it, which has not helped. If i got thread tape , shut off the water and then inserted the tape and tightened the bolt again, would this work? Im just cautious to over tighten it, or make things worse? Is this problem easily fixed. As I dont want to cause more leaks fiddling?
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 6th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    I can't imagine what you mean, can you post a picture?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    I can't imagine what you mean, can you post a picture?
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    I imagine he means the compression nut on the toilet side of the shutoff.
    I have no idea how to tell him the max force he could use to tighten it, just experience I guess.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 6th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    Turn the water off at the mains,undo the nut and replace the washer inside of it,i think it is 19mm,replace the nut,tighten up and turn on the mains water.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 6th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    PTFE tape (thread tape) shouldnt really make a difference. Its a compression fitting so inside the nut there will be an olive (looks like a ring) as you tighten the nut the olive gets clamped on to the pipe which creates the seal.

Some isolating valves are better than others in terms of quality as are olives.

Try replacing the olive. You could try just loosening and re tightening, sometimes its enough to get the olive to sit right.

This info is based on it being the isolation valve thats leaking.
    Last edited by spadoosh; 06-09-2017 at 4:15 PM.
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 6th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    Turn the water off at the mains,undo the nut and replace the washer inside of it,i think it is 19mm,replace the nut,tighten up and turn on the mains water.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    It sounds like the isolator not the toilet inlet.

OP is it this bit?

or this bit?

Thats leaking.
    Don't be angry!
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    Yes yes, picture at the top. The right part leading out the toilet with the plastic and silver nut. where the plastic meets the silver bolt. It's leaking around the silver bolt . So I tried to tighten it with no luck. So would a washer change or thread tape be recommended?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 16,992 Posts
    • 11,177 Thanks
    molerat
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    You need to take the joint apart and look at the fibre or rubber washer inside. Some of them come with quite a hard fibre washer, fine for a brass tap where you can give it a good tweak but not much use on plastic.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • betsie
    • By betsie 6th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    betsie
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    If a plumber fitted your loo only 3 months ago I'm sure he would come back to sort out the problem
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smb3088
    Any reason it occurred now the leak, surely it would have occurred shortly after installation this type of leak!? Randomly just started... The plumber said he's coming back Friday, but never mentioned If he's charging me for it �� Do you think it's an issue that suggest installation that his workmanship should cover, or is this a different problem altogether?
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 7th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Wookey
    There are a few things that it could be though they are more unlikely and mostly failure of the materials rather than bad working practice. Fibre washers can split or the end of the ballvalve could have developed a hair crack.

The pipe could have received a knock when you have been cleaning which could show as a small leak, the fixings holding the WC to the wall and floor could have slackened slightly allowing some movement to occur when using the WC.

If it is just a nut and compression ring joining the pipe to the ballvalve then this should be replaced, plastic is not designed to take the forces required to compress the ring enough to ensure a tight joint, if so, replace it with a proper tap connector and fibre washer or a short flexi hose.

Are you also sure it is coming from the nut at the bottom, or is it possibly a tiny weep thru from the back nut that holds the ballvalve in place?
    Last edited by Wookey; 07-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin