Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 6th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,064Posts
    • 1,898Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Footballer to late to play.
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    Footballer to late to play. 6th Sep 17 at 3:20 PM
    Leicester spent £22m on a new player last week. They signed him on the last day of the transfer window. But have now been told by Fifa that the player isn't allowed to play for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41118927
    The last piece of the paperwork to confirm the deal, arrived 14 seconds late.
    They've said, a deadline is a deadline.
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 13,020 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    Too late to play.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 6th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    14 seconds sounds silly but where do you draw the line?
    • koexelek
    • By koexelek 6th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 7,620 Posts
    • 16,155 Thanks
    koexelek
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    Its a dangerous game leaving it to the last minute of the transfer window ( which is open for long enough) and clubs do it to try and get the selling club to accept a lower fee out of desperation.. but it leaves no margin for error.
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 6th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 26,013 Posts
    • 32,902 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    Do they have to pay back any deposit? So does the club retain the money? Or have they lost it all as they were late filing? Does the player still belong to the old club? More to follow on this story I bet. Maybe they did not bribe FIFA enough.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 14,746 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    Perhaps FIFA should let this one slide, what with all the allegations of corruption at their door.

Besides, was it really 14 seconds late or did the receiving FIFA staffer look away from their inbox for a minute when the documents arrived so they could claim it was late?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 7,191 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    Perhaps FIFA should let this one slide, what with all the allegations of corruption at their door.

Besides, was it really 14 seconds late or did the receiving FIFA staffer look away from their inbox for a minute when the documents arrived so they could claim it was late?
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Leicester fan by any chance?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 14,746 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    Leicester fan by any chance?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    No, I don't like football at all
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 6th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 26,013 Posts
    • 32,902 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:14 PM

Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    How do we know the clock was accurate?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 6th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Do they have to pay back any deposit? So does the club retain the money? Or have they lost it all as they were late filing? Does the player still belong to the old club? More to follow on this story I bet. Maybe they did not bribe FIFA enough.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    I don't know, but i think, now that Leicester have paid the money, the player 'belongs' to them. But his registration with Fifa doesn't come into effect until the next transfer window. All he can do is sit on the bench and watch.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 6th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I don't know, but i think, now that Leicester have paid the money, the player 'belongs' to them. But his registration with Fifa doesn't come into effect until the next transfer window. All he can do is sit on the bench and watch.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn

He wont be allowed on the bench ;-)
    • Dr.Rock
    • By Dr.Rock 7th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Dr.Rock
    The player is owned by Leicester as he has signed a contract with them. The delay was in registering this with FIFA. He will not be allowed to play in a FIFA sanctioned competition until 1st January 2018.
    FIFA and football clubs use a web-based system for registering transfers and submitting paperwork so it is the system time that is used, which everyone can clearly see. What happened is that the necessary paperwork wasn't uploaded into the system and submitted by the deadline. Leicester only have themselves to blame.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,416Posts Today

6,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin