Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harpe
    • By harpe 6th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    harpe
    Horrendous experience with Flow through MSE
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    Horrendous experience with Flow through MSE 6th Sep 17 at 2:07 PM
    Posting for advice and perspective.

I switched to Flow through MSE in January.
    I was in a new build property with an unregistered gas meter. I made them aware of this by phone and email on the day the switch was confirmed, provided photographic and typed meter readings and meter details.

Flow said they would register the meter, which was completed in April after multiple chasing from me. They had mislaid the request and I received an apology and compensation for the delay caused by them, which I appreciated. Sadly further problems then arose.

To date they will still not accept gas meter readings that I have submitted online and will not raise gas bills based on these actual meter readings. My DD is much higher than my usage, based on estimated readings , and I can't get this amended.

The problem is that G4S haven't verified the opening reading from January. It has been nearly 5 months since the meter was registered and the opening reading is still not verified. When contacting Flow by phone and email I was told there is nothing they can do as it is with G4S now.

I took this to the energy ombudsman hoping that would expediate the process of verification so I can be billed on my actual readings.

The ombudsman concluded that Flow have done everything they can and that how long it takes G4S is out of Flows hands. I was disappointed that Flow has no responsibility for helping me to be billed accurately, or for what seems to be an extreme delay on the part of their contractor, G4S (reading now unverified for 8 months, 5 months since the meter was registered)

I say horrendous because my current DD is double my usage. I am a student nurse. I receive a bursary of £457 a month and my Flow DD is £55, over a ninth of my monthly income. As a student nurse I work 37.5 hours a week unpaid in a hospital, on top of which I have university study and family commitments. My placement hours vary week to week, and I get very little notice of my hours. Until I am eligible to register for bank work (January 2018) I cannot find a job that works around my constantly changing university and placement hours as well as my family commitments. My budget is extremely, extremely tight right now and the fact that this situation seems to have no resolution in sight is placing me under regular stress. I can't even call Flow on the phone anymore without breaking down.

Is there anything at all I can do now, having gone to the ombudsman? I submit gas and electric readings online every month. The electricity ones are registered and my electric bill is accurate. But the gas ones never appear. I was also regularly submitting readings over the phone and asking to be rebilled but Flow say there is nothing they can do until G4S verify the reading.

I really thought energy suppliers had an obligation to bill customers accurately when accurate readings were provided.

I just want my bills to be accurate so I am not paying significantly more money than I use. Am I being unreasonable for not having the financial leeway to be able to last however many more months like this?
Page 1
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    I can't actually offer any advice to you - and I'm really sorry about. I can totally appreciate your anger and it's a really unfair situation that you've been put in.

Recently, I lost my job, so I'm not in the greatest financial situation, but I'm also with Flow, and while they get the electricity meter readings correct every month they ignore the submitted meter readings for gas. We have taken to submitting readings every single week and they are still ignoring it.

They are now billing us each month for 50 gas units more than we actually use. Cumulatively, this month, we should be getting over 100 more than we've actually used. They are currently ignoring my complaint emails - the last one I sent to them nearly two weeks ago.

I've asked them previously why they don't take the gas meter readings when the meter reader comes round every six weeks, and they stated that they have no obligation to do so because it only needs to be checked once per year. I know it only needs to be checked once per year, but that's for safety. We've asked the meter reader when he comes round if he's going to check it, and he always says "not my responsibility".

It seems they are billing us based on a winter usage of gas, by estimating it each month, or by basing it on last year's usage. Great - we weren't the customers at this property last year. It was bad enough that it took them two months to set up our account and they didn't bother contacting us once in that period, but ripping off their customers for lots of energy they're not using (it's not just you and me, someone else in another thread on here has mentioned it) is just wrong.

It's not just happening to people who have previously had unregistered meters - mine was registered, the previous owners of this house were Flow customers (I stayed with Flow, because I thought it would be easier) and still Flow are ignoring submitted gas meter readings. I don't know if it holds any weight, but if my bill comes back again this month with an estimate against my gas usage, then I'm quite happy to go to the ombudsman with a complaint because this has been going on since April.

Flow make all sorts of claims about how they reply to emails within 24 hours - I've waited a total of 6 weeks for replies to emails now. I've had other issues with them about making payments (you can't do it online). They've refused to answer my entirely reasonable questions. They don't provide simple services that other energy companies do such as email billing or just an email to say you have a bill. Their customer service is terrible. Now they're overcharging despite having the correct information available to them. Not on.
    Last edited by HonourlessWeasel; 06-09-2017 at 4:53 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter