Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 6th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 8,442Posts
    • 20,663Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Please don't copy and paste from Word/Outlook
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    Please don't copy and paste from Word/Outlook 6th Sep 17 at 1:38 PM
    Hi everyone

Some of our forum members are finding their IP bans blocked and we're noticing these are sometimes people who are regular posters on the Parking Tickets board.

We believe it may be because some of you write your posts in Word or Outlook first then copy and paste them into the Forum. If you need to do that please copy and paste them through Notepad first.

See our post on the Site Feedback board: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5637311

Have a good day!

Andrea

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 7,001 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    I have been using word for years, and before that works. Surely the solution is to fix the problem, not to change horses.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    I have been using word for years, and before that works. Surely the solution is to fix the problem, not to change horses.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    We use this message board for free, the best thing is to do as requested by the site team and not burden them with change requests.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    Curious as to why this is an issue, doesnt copy+paste just lump the text across?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 9,165 Posts
    • 8,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    Curious as to why this is an issue, doesnt copy+paste just lump the text across?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    It does - if you cut & paste via Notepad or another basic text editing tool.

If you cut & paste from more sophisticated apps, like Word and Excel, you tend to bring elements of formatting with you. It's that formatting that the forum software uses as one of the cues that content is spam.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 11,201 Posts
    • 14,718 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    Andrea, you may want to get in touch with Chuck Sonnenberg, aka SF Debris? He's got an web site and forum and I don't remember his site ever having this problem, so he may be able to help?

He's also a really nice dude
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,001 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    We use this message board for free, the best thing is to do as requested by the site team and not burden them with change requests

The NHS is also free. That does not mean we have to put up with inferior health care.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    Where is "notepad" on my Mac?
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • andytaylor
    • By andytaylor 6th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    andytaylor
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    If you bother to read the linked post, it says:

"We're working to address this but in the meantime can you please try not to do it."

So a fix is being looked into.

Notepad is called TextEdit on Mac OS.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Andrea, you may want to get in touch with Chuck Sonnenberg, aka SF Debris? He's got an web site and forum and I don't remember his site ever having this problem, so he may be able to help?

He's also a really nice dude
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    He uses phpbb for his forum. This uses vBulletin. Different beasts
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 6th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 10,184 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    We use this message board for free, the best thing is to do as requested by the site team and not burden them with change requests

The NHS is also free. That does not mean we have to put up with inferior health care.
    Surprised at you, TD.

MSE's forum - MSE's t&c.

Don't like it - don't use it.

It's free, for heaven's sake and no one forces you to use it, unlike the NHS which has no free alternative.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 6th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Actually it does.

Whilst we're very lucky here in the UK, our healthcare system is over stretched and has not been world leading for some time.

In terms of "bang for buck" it is good - private health can offer better, but rarely more affordably.

I'm sure there's an MSE analogy here, I just can't think what it is
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 6th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I'll tell you what is wrong with Mr Deep ....

He is back from his villa in Spain and missing the totty
    in their bikini's
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 7th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    esmerobbo

The NHS is also free. .
    I pay for my NHS treatment have done since I was 15 years old.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 7th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    I frequently had this problem as a new user, I got blocked every day for ages but don't any more - my bigger issue that copying and pasting from Word unformats the text (eg removes para numbering and strikeout/underling etc). How do I do it via Notebook??????
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 9,165 Posts
    • 8,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I frequently had this problem as a new user, I got blocked every day for ages but don't any more - my bigger issue that copying and pasting from Word unformats the text (eg removes para numbering and strikeout/underling etc). How do I do it via Notebook??????
    Originally posted by Loadsofchildren123
    The Bulletin Board software has its own codes for various formatting:

for a numbered list: [LIST] ...[*] ...[/LIST]

for strikeout: [STRIKE] ... [/STRIKE]

for underline: [U] ... [/U]
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 07-09-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 8th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    The Bulletin Board software has its own codes for various formatting:

for a numbered list: [LIST] ...[*] ...[/LIST]

for strikeout: [STRIKE] ... [/STRIKE]

for underline: [U] ... [/U]
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Yes, but my problem is if I edit someone's defence/WS or whatever, I prefer to do it in Word (have done it before in a post and then pressed the wrong button and 2 hours of work disappears before my eyes) - so I copy and paste over to word, and show deletions/additions in my amending so the OP can see what I've done. When I then re-copy and paste it back into a post, the strikeout/bold I've put in and the para numbering usually disappears. Plus, as someone else has said, loads of new codes have been added in (eg different fonts). Again I then have to spend ages re-highlighting my changes and renumbering/reformatting and deleting all the extra codes.

Someone says the answer to this is to use Notebook.....or was it Notepad..... anyway, my question is what is that and how do I use it?

I'm not that old or decrepit and am great at typing and laying out my own stuff, but I'm not great with IT and jargon!!!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    DoaM
    Notepad is on every Windows PC. Has been since Windows 95, if not before. (Click the Windows logo at the bottom-left and start typing notepad ... a link to start running it will appear).

It's a very basic text editor ... if you want to include formatting then you'll need to use the BB code in the text you're editing in Notepad. Example:

Code:
    [ s]This text is deleted[ /s]. This [ b]text is changed[ /b],
    and [ u]this text is added[ /u]
    The above shows as below in a forum reply (if you remove the space after each [ character):

Code:
    This text is deleted. This text is changed,
    and this text is added
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 9,165 Posts
    • 8,614 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The other alternative is to retain the Word document in its original format, or as a PDF, and link it to your MSE post.

This means that someone will have to click on it to access it, but it will require no effort to reformat it, if you use this approach. Since MSE does not permit attached documents, you'd need to host it somewhere else, and post the link. You could use Google Docs, for example, although various free hosting sites exist.

I used the PDF Archive to host a PDF document the other day, and that seems to work quite well, with a minimum of setup. https://www.pdf-archive.com/

• Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 11th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    thank you all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin