Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arpy
    • By Arpy 6th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Arpy
    Dad wants to sell his shares.. Plot Twist!
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    Dad wants to sell his shares.. Plot Twist! 6th Sep 17 at 1:34 PM
    First post... be gentle

My elderly father would like to sell his paper shares - he has about £45K worth in one company.

Naturally he would like to avoid CGT.

He and I know next to nothing about shares or CGT but after a morning of reading would the following be sensible..?

Transfer half the shares (£22.5K) to his wife. Neither of them have other sums liable to CGT.

Each sell half now and the other half April 2018? This way there would be 4 transactions total, each producing a profit under the £11300 CGT allowance.

Seems too easy...

Any pointers greatfully appreciated. Especially who to approach to sell the things for him!

Apologies if I've vastly over simplified things
    Last edited by Arpy; 07-09-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Page 2
    • Sean473
    • By Sean473 7th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Sean473
    Wow. All those answers are so helpful - thank you.

As for IHT, I don't think their estate would top £600k so probably not an issue. Of course one can't predict the future but I don't imagine it will be relevant.

Dad likes the suggestion of them opening a joint nominee account with mum and then them each giving me and sis £11250 each this year and the same again (say) in Apr 18, as above.

I appreciate this a nice problem to have and we are so grateful for all your help.
    Originally posted by Arpy
    Have you looked at doing a Bed and ISA? That might help you avoid CGT...
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 8th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Originally posted by Sean473
    I'm not sure bed & ISA will avoid CGT as you will need to crystallise your gain (sell) before re-buying in the ISA.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Originally posted by Sean473
    I don't see how, and they don't have to do anything fancy other than split over two tax years. But even so, can you explain how you think putting them in an ISA would help?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,243 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/News_Features_Research/how-tax-changes-have-increased-appeal-%E2%80%9Cbed-isa%E2%80%9D/

A Bed & ISA is a way of transferring assets into an ISA so that future investment growth and income is sheltered from tax. It is a helpful way of using up some or all of an ISA allowance if no cash is available, or to tidy up small or neglected holdings whose income would otherwise have to be declared on a tax return. However, the process involves selling the investments and then buying them back within the ISA wrapper - so the sale crystallises any gain or loss made for capital gains tax (CGT) purposes.

Perhaps poster was thinking of treatment of transfer to ISA in Sharesave type schemes?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes/transferring-your-shares-to-an-isa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,863Posts Today

9,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin