Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mpeill
    • By mpeill 6th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mpeill
    0 WOW
    When To Buy Holiday (Travel) Insurance
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    0 WOW
    When To Buy Holiday (Travel) Insurance 6th Sep 17 at 1:13 PM
    My son is arranging a family holiday for us next year, summer 2018 to the USA.
    I already have a yearly travel insurance policy running to April 2018, but just for Europe.
    If the USA holiday is booked now, but I don't purchase USA included insurance until next April, will the policy then cover the holiday and events leading to it, even though the holiday was booked prior to the policy being in place (accepting we would loose any deposit paid at the time of booking)?
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 12,243 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    You'll have to check the policy, but in all likelyhood your current policy won't cover cancellation if you need to cancel before April. The new policy should cover the holiday and cancellation caused by events happening after you take it out, though events happening before probably wouldn't.

If it's a one-off trip to the US it might be cheaper taking out insurance just covering the period of your holiday, then you're fully covered from when you buy it.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,147 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    Get cover for America As soon as you book the holiday
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,141 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    Get cover for America As soon as you book the holiday
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I'd suggest that you read and understand the question before posting.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,147 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    I'd suggest that you read and understand the question before posting.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I did read the question.

OP has an annual insurance policy but it only covers for European travel

OP is planning a holiday to the US.

OP wants to know if it safe to leave buying insurance that will cover the US after April when their insurance has to be renewed.

What happens if the OP is taken ill in February? Or worse?

The holiday they want insured is to the US. Their cover is for Europe only - I would expect the insurers to reject the claim.

Yes you might lose just the deposit but what about staged deposits or tickets etc booked - would that be more than the cost of the premium?

Yes the policy would cover the holiday if bought before any claimable event happened but given the above I wouldn't run the risk
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 06-09-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,141 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    I did read the question.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Yes, fair enough, for some reason I misinterpreted your post, I'm not sure what it was that I thought you'd said but on reading it now it makes sense so it should have done then.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,147 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    No worries - ive done that as well

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin