Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 6th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,903Posts
    • 740Thanks
    rmg1
    Cigarette ends and "fines"
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    Cigarette ends and "fines" 6th Sep 17 at 1:03 PM
    Hi all

I know this isn't a motoring issue but I'm hoping it will follow the same lines.

I've just been handed an £80 "fine" from a 3rd-party company working on behalf of my local council because I dropped my cigarette end on the floor (apparently it's caught on camera, although I haven't seen the footage).

There are no bins/ashtrays in the vicinity for approx 1/4 mile in either direction.

The advice I was given when I queried the fine was to "put it in my pocket" (meaning the cigarette end).

According to the on-the-spot paperwork I was given there is no automatic right of appeal (although, after speaking to the 3rd-party company, I can take it to Magistrates court).

Anyone any ideas on my next steps?
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
Page 3
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 7,481 Thanks
    The Deep
    Cut of their benefits I say.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    pappa golf
    and then they will rob more?

or perhaps they HAD been cut?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 7,481 Thanks
    The Deep
    I have been the victim of crime several times. The worse was three days before we moved into out new house. The brand new washing was attacked with a hack saw as was the aluminium garden furniture, one day old carpets sprayed with bleach, and a steaming Richard left in one of the bedrooms.

Despite all this dna, the police failed to arrest anyone, but did offer counselling.

Unless it makes a profit, I am unenthusiastic about my Council Tax (over £3,000 a year for two OAPs) being spent employing such firms. It is hardly likely to make a difference when compared with the vast number of coal fired power stations pouting out filth in China.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,277Posts Today

8,172Users online

Martin's Twitter