Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 6th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,872Posts
    • 734Thanks
    rmg1
    Cigarette ends and "fines"
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    Cigarette ends and "fines" 6th Sep 17 at 1:03 PM
    Hi all

I know this isn't a motoring issue but I'm hoping it will follow the same lines.

I've just been handed an £80 "fine" from a 3rd-party company working on behalf of my local council because I dropped my cigarette end on the floor (apparently it's caught on camera, although I haven't seen the footage).

There are no bins/ashtrays in the vicinity for approx 1/4 mile in either direction.

The advice I was given when I queried the fine was to "put it in my pocket" (meaning the cigarette end).

According to the on-the-spot paperwork I was given there is no automatic right of appeal (although, after speaking to the 3rd-party company, I can take it to Magistrates court).

Anyone any ideas on my next steps?
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
Page 2
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    waamo
    I suggest the OP goes to pepipoo.com, they do have some legal people on there and is more likely to get an accurate answer.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    As the OP seems to have missed it this is the correct answer.
    This space for hire.
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 7th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    Interesting article which might be worth a read.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4497068/Mother-26-fined-1-000-dropped-cigarette-butt.html
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 7,682 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Originally posted by Snakes Belly
    Hmm ...... whilst I want to see our country clean of litter, what this
    lady did was nothing compared to the fly tippers.

Instead of such a large fine, surely community service would be
    better and they can work cleaning up other people's litter
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 25,696 Posts
    • 10,210 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Cannot afford carpets for the childs room but can afford iphones and smoking etc etc?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Snakes Belly
    • By Snakes Belly 8th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Snakes Belly
    I think that they must have been making an example of this lady but it just goes to show what they can do especially if litter in the town is becoming a big problem.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 50,082 Posts
    • 63,470 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It's not the way forward though, fines are NOT the right way to change people's behaviour in a way that isn't aggressive and 'Big Brother' like.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

5,761Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin