Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • National Numeracy
      Verified User verified user
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 49Thanks
    National Numeracy
    Maths tests at interview - improve your skills
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    Maths tests at interview - improve your skills 6th Sep 17 at 12:58 PM
    More and more employers include a numeracy assessment as part of their interview process.

And if you struggle with numbers, this can be intimidating.

But please don't let this hold you back! Everyone can improve their numeracy level. The National Numeracy Challenge website gives you the chance to practise everyday maths questions and points you towards resources that will help you to improve.

Register and learn for free online with the Challenge.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I知 the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    Why are personal details required to "take the challenge"?
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    Why are personal details required to "take the challenge"?
    The Challenge website is free but we do require an email address so that we can email participants with their results and other support (no spam). We also collect names so that users can print personalised certificates as evidence of getting the Essentials of Numeracy or show their numeracy level.

The other details are purely so that we can look at numeracy across the UK by age and gender, which is useful as we campaign to improve national provision. If you sign up but would prefer for your data not to be processed for these purposes, please contact support@nnchallenge.org.uk
    I知 the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 6,515 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    I was under the impression that you had to provide people with the right to opt in/out of you using their personal data at the point of sign up - not sign up and then try to get you to stop using it?
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    Hi sangie595, when signing up for the Challenge people are asked to agree to the terms and conditions - there is an opt-in button for this before any details are submitted.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 6,515 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    That's useful thank you. A further question - your website isn't really very informative about who you are and why you are doing this. If your services are free, could you please explain where your trading income comes from? 」250,000+ trading income from a charity does appear to be quite a lot of income. You'll appreciate that there are a lot of places offering numeracy support, and we'd all be in favour of that... but that's quite a lot of income from trading?
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 6th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    According to last set of accounts, there are 12 employees (its a registered charity run as a company limited by guarantee) costing 」348k but 1 of the 12 earns over 」80k leaving circa 」270k for the other 11.

Section 20 makes interesting reading (trustees being paid as consultants, relation of chief exec getting work).

https://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/sites/default/files/tar_nn_2016.pdf
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 6th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    You don't have to give genuine details. I tried the first bit of Maths and it goes on and on and on and on....
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    You don't have to give genuine details. I tried the first bit of Maths and it goes on and on and on and on....
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise

itvplayer, BBC iPlayer - I only give "plausible" but not genuine details.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise

So it's pretty effective at giving you a good experience of the concept of infinity then.............................................. ...................................(followed by figure 8 on its side or whatever).....
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 7th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    could you please explain where your trading income comes from?
    Do take a look at National Numeracy's main website for more information on who we are and what we do. In response to your question about our trading income, in 2016 we provided some consultancy services and education resources to schools to help them improve their maths provision, and we also offer our services to companies to help improve their employees' numeracy. Any surplus we make from these activities goes towards funding our charitable projects, including the Challenge amongst other work, so that we don't have to rely solely on charitable funding and donations to keep our work going.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 6,515 Thanks
    sangie595
    Do take a look at National Numeracy's main website for more information on who we are and what we do. In response to your question about our trading income, in 2016 we provided some consultancy services and education resources to schools to help them improve their maths provision, and we also offer our services to companies to help improve their employees' numeracy. Any surplus we make from these activities goes towards funding our charitable projects, including the Challenge amongst other work, so that we don't have to rely solely on charitable funding and donations to keep our work going.
    Originally posted by National Numeracy

I did look at your website. When that wasn't very informative I went to the Charity Commission site. That was very informative. Especially the accounts. I don't think I would be recommending your services to anyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

1,714Users online

Martin's Twitter