Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • piratesu
    • By piratesu 6th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 3,060Thanks
    piratesu
    Trying to cut the cost of cat ownership
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    Trying to cut the cost of cat ownership 6th Sep 17 at 12:29 PM
    Sadly both our elderly cats are now using the litter tray rather than going outside to do their business. So I am having to buy quite a lot of cat litter. I'm currently using ASDA or Tesco's cheapest offering which is £1.55 for 10 litres and I can't find cheaper (Has anyone?). The trouble is that it doesn't last long as it doesn't seem that good at soaking up the wee. So I'm wondering if it is false economy, but it is a lot cheaper than anything else. Has anyone else found something better?
Page 1
    • Catswhiska
    • By Catswhiska 6th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Catswhiska
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Try Lidl. Same price but lasts so much longer
    • piratesu
    • By piratesu 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    piratesu
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I don't usually go to Lidl (Aldi is closer), but there is one I can take a small detour to pass now and again.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 12,438 Posts
    • 35,531 Thanks
    redfox
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to Pets and Pet Care board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 6th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 7,204 Posts
    • 15,958 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    I used to use Stressco's cheapie one the whole time but find that the co -op one clumps better and is easier to spot clean.
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 6th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    clumps better and is easier to spot clean.
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    Spot cleaning is the key. I prefer non clumping myself as I find it wasier to splot clean.

I have 4 older cats (8/8/12/12) and they still go out so it's not indoor all the time (I have a raised flower bed filled with top soil for them outside).

For indoors I have found nothing better that catsan hygeine. In 20L bags it is about a tenner. I usually get 2 bags every 2 months from amazon on subscribe and save at 9.20ish. Though I had to pay 10.50 each this month in asda because I am on holiday on the S&S date!

Under a tenner a month for 4 cats seems reasonable to me.
    • dw85
    • By dw85 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dw85
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:58 PM

For indoors I have found nothing better that catsan hygeine. In 20L bags it is about a tenner. I usually get 2 bags every 2 months from amazon on subscribe and save at 9.20ish. Though I had to pay 10.50 each this month in asda because I am on holiday on the S&S date!

Under a tenner a month for 4 cats seems reasonable to me.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Even cheaper if you have Costco membership...think it was £8 a bag

I use this too and seems to last longer than the cheaper brands with regular 'lump cleaning'
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    Have you thought about investing in a sieve litter tray? A bag of wood pellet litter lasts ages for us - I don't even know when we bought our last it was so long ago. Our 2 boys are strictly house cats (hoping to secure our garden so they can go out in that, but they are Ragdolls so they can't roam completely). I am really sensitive to smells as well. Poo obviously gets scooped out whenever they go but litter never gets wasted with this system. https://www.brit-pet.com/
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 7th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    I use the cheapest clumping litter, Tesco, Asda, Aldi etc, and put half an inch in the bottom of the tray. When I see a wet patch I pick up the tray and shake the dry litter to one end, and use a childs seaside spade to remove the wet stuff. I add some dry from the bag to top it up.

When the time comes to scrub clean the trays I let the litter run really low, then put it to one side while I wash the tray outside and leave it to dry. I put the litter back, and top it up from the bag. Only wet litter gets thrown away here.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 7th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    jon81uk
    We have two indoor only cats and use Catsan, the tray gets fully changed every 10 days or so but poops are scooped out as needed. We buy Catsan from Costco for about £8.50 for the large bag (20 litres?) which is £2-3 cheaper than supermarkets.
    • LusciousLuce
    • By LusciousLuce 11th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    LusciousLuce
    I use Catsan. I've tried most brands and types - including cheapo supermarket pen brand 'value' when I've been slightly skint - and yes, it is false economy. Catsan lasts longer and absorbs odours far better than any other I've tried.

Doesn't stop Nermal fatcat sometimes hanging his bum outside the tray to poop. I think he sees it as a suggestion to deposit in the tray, rather than a rule. Hairy idiot.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 11th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5,878 Posts
    • 10,903 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Oko from zooplus, you don't need to empty the tray unless urine somehow gets on the tray, just scoop and keep refilling.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Sep 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 1,949 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I have a friend that is a wood turner, and he generates a fair bit of shavings & sawdust. The cat prefers using it rather than going outside...

The shavings/sawdust is delivered for free and I keep it in a black dustbin. After emptying the tray on the compost heap (one could the green waste bin), a couple of scoops over a sheet of newspaper is enough. Downside is a small amount gets tracked into other rooms, so vacuuming regularly is required. Small price to pay for free kitty litter though.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 28th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    gettingready
    Cheap litter works way more expensive in the long turn.

Buy a good quality clumping cat litter and it will cost you less in the long term as it will last ages.

My 4 boys go out now but when we had no garden, I used to buy 2 bags of litter from Zooplus and they would last me a month or a bit more for my 4 boys

£16.99 for 2 bags of this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/tigerino/tigerino_clumping/153208

17 divided by 4 cats that is £4,25 per cat per month. 2 bags divided by 4 cats - half a bag per month per cat.

Buying cheap supermarket brand is not economical if you try to save money.

Zooplus minimum order for free delivery s £29 so if you got 4 bags you will pay £34 and get free delivery but it will last you around 8 months.

Do not look at a price per bag - look at the monthly cost of whatever you are using.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,373Posts Today

7,198Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin