Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 6th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 475Posts
    • 633Thanks
    Maureen43
    Student - TV licence
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    Student - TV licence 6th Sep 17 at 11:56 AM
    Hello All

My eldest is going to be in a student hall of residence this year.

Martin (MSE) says that she doesn't need a TV licence, provided I have one at home, and whatever device she watches TV on isn't plugged into the mains.

Is that right? I only ask as all the other parents I know have bought licences for their children. I don't want her to get into trouble....

Advice gratefully received!

Maureen.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    We haven't bought one for DD2, but then she doesn't watch live TV or catch-up - just DVDs etc.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1?WT.mc_id=r107&x=0#
    This suggests a student can watch iPlayer etc. on a laptop or tablet that is running only on battery power. How TVL would ever know otherwise is another question.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 7th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Maureen43
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    Hmmm.

How would they know if the device was plugged in?

Clearly they are relying on honesty.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    We had the TVL people round in the first couple of weeks of moving in to a shared student flat. Fortunately we only had one TV and one license, and the TV was in the living room. I remember him telling us that we would need one each if the TV was in our own separate rooms. Unlikely to ever have a TV that doesn't need plugging in, but a laptop is designed for working without plugging in, so should be fine. Just tell her to unplug it before opening her door.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 9,419 Posts
    • 8,977 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    From the link provided by DoaM:
    you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:

- Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence

- AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries

- AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.
    I would follow those instructions and all should be well. Except that I would not inform them that no licence is needed. There is no legal requirement to do it, and it makes no difference to their desire to visit the premises.

Hmmm.

How would they know if the device was plugged in?

Clearly they are relying on honesty.
    Originally posted by Maureen43
    The whole TV Licensing regime is a total can of worms that starts with them having no legislation behind their day-to-day enforcement activities. I would suggest providing your daughter with a paper copy of your Licence if you/she plan to make use of this exemption, so she can show it to any TV Licensing staff who happen to call. Other than that, she is under no obligation to speak with them, to show them any equipment, to prove anything to them, to answer any of their questions , to give or confirm her name or to sign any of their documentation (which she is best advised never to do).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-09-2017 at 8:12 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 13th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    I personally wouldn't bother. Make sure you're up to speed on the tactics of the TV licensing people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQeKy1v-R-I

http://tvlicencegoons.blogspot.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHRhXW1hno

http://www.timetounite.com/bbc-tv-licensing-is-a-fraudulent-scam/

Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 30th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Maureen43
    • 30th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 30th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    Thanks All!

She has now received a pretty threatening letter saying they are going to take action against her. However it is addressed to "the new occupant" so they don't have her name.

Am I right in assuming (as you have said above) that:
    - she doesn't have to get in touch with them
    - she doesn't have to give them her name
    - she doesn't have to let them into her student flat or room
    - she can ignore future letters!

I'd be grateful for your input.
    M.
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 30th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Swipe
    • 30th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 30th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    Thanks All!

She has now received a pretty threatening letter saying they are going to take action against her. However it is addressed to "the new occupant" so they don't have her name.

M.
    Yes, you are right
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 2nd Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 2nd Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2nd Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    Thanks All!

M.
    Is the letter addressed to the flat or the specific room number?
    I suspect its a fishing expedition by the local licensing authorities, this time of year 10,s of thousands of new students will be moving in to halls. FWIW my daughter moved to halls this year and hasn't got a license but she doesn't need one as she just watches Netflix and youtube.

If there is NO tv in the flat or the room then there should be no issue whatever happens - just out of interest, does it specifically say WHY action will be taken against 'the occupier?'
    Last edited by Ant555; 02-11-2017 at 1:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

631Posts Today

4,951Users online

Martin's Twitter