Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A. deeley
    • By A. deeley 6th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    A. deeley
    PCN by Premier Parking Logistics
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    PCN by Premier Parking Logistics 6th Sep 17 at 11:50 AM
    Hi
    I was issued a PCN on 2 Sept by Premier Parking Logistics for failure to pay for a parking ticket in a Birmingham car park area ( essentially a ground floor of a knocked down and cleared building ). I have parked there before.

Unfortunately I was not aware of these issues until I read MSE today so I am asking advice on how to proceed. The details of my case are below.

Parked on 2 Sept 17. I used via my iPhone the telephone payment system to pay for 3 hours parking at a cost of £1.90. Unfortunately for some unknown reason the the payment did not go through and I was unaware of this. Upon return I found a PCN issued. The PCN charge is for £100.00 reduced to £60.00 if paid within 14 days.

Due to naivety I emailed an appeal with my name and address on 2 September. I included a screen shot of my call history as proof that I made the call and text that the company texted me my car Registration number as Indetification.

Also on 4 September I telephone the company to explain and I also company to offer £5.00 as payment without prejudice.

Both my appeal to PPL and my offer have been rejected.

My issue is that PPL does not offer a confirmation text for proof of payment. A friend who parked at the same time as me on 2 Sept used the telephone system and he did not hear anything about receiving a confirmation text either.

So my appeal defence was that without an automatic confirmation text you don't know if you have paid or not. PPL insist that the confirmation text is an option given on the telephone payment method. On my previous visits I did NOT receive a confirmation text either.

On 6 Sept I received a letter from PPL confirming my appeal was unsuccessful and offering me the optio of appealing to the IAS. This costs £15.00.

My limited understanding is that that the company ( PPL) can only claim earnings lost through non payment. In my case £1.90.

I have read through the various threads and standard guidance posts but nothing seems to be suitable if you HAVE already appealed and given PPL or other like companies your details.

Advice on how to proceed would be most welcome.
    AD
    PS my naivety defence is based on th fact I recently had to sort out for my aging parents parking tickets issued by Birmingham CC and the PPL PCN looked exactly the same. 😇
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    You will find advice on how to deal with this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum.

Revealing the driver means you cannot use any POFA related matters in any appeal or court defence

When you read the newbies FAQ thread you will see the futility of appealing anyway to this IPC company!
    Last edited by Quentin; 06-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • A. deeley
    • By A. deeley 6th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    A. deeley
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    Yes I did read the Newbies thread and also the details on PPL.

Unfortunately I could not find a direct answer to my circumstances. Maybe I missed something?

I do understand you don't wish to keep re inventing the wheel for every post hence the Newbie section..

So simply stated. Do I have grounds to win in Court ( ie paying £5.00) which I am willing to attend or should I pay the PCN as it is legal ?

Thanks
    Andrew
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 6th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,906 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    On 6 Sept I received a letter from PPL confirming my appeal was unsuccessful and offering me the option of appealing to the IAS. This costs £15.00.

please re read your appeal reply carefully , was the above (£15) the only option apart from paying the ticket

I ask this , because if a FREE appeal was not offered , Mr Watkins may be in deep trouble
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    Hi
    The £15.00 charge is made by the IAS.

The IAS is the Independant Appeals Service and is according to their web site ' a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution entity'.

I did not proceed with an appeal.

Regards
    A

On checking
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    So simply stated. Do I have grounds to win in Court ( ie paying £5.00) which I am willing to attend or should I pay the PCN as it is legal ?
    Originally posted by A. deeley

If that is going to be your defence then no to your first question!

You need to make your own mind up on whether to pay.

This forum advises on how to deal with a PCN right up to defending a court claim, but not on whether you should simply pay!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    On 6 Sept I received a letter from PPL confirming my appeal was unsuccessful and offering me the option of appealing to the IAS. This costs £15.00.

please re read your appeal reply carefully , was the above (£15) the only option apart from paying the ticket

I ask this , because if a FREE appeal was not offered , Mr Watkins may be in deep trouble
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    IAS (kindly!) allows you to send in a late appeal (ie after the usual 21 days from the initial rejection) at a cost of £15

Maybe the OP misunderstood when the £15 is payable?
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    So then should I
    A use the IAS appeal service
    B wait for PPL to take me to court
    C pay the PCN if it is legal.

Again I have re read the Newbies section but I can't find anything that informs on the circumstances that the PCN recipient has made an appeal ( with personal details ) to the PCN issuing company.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    The futility of appealing to an IAS company is covered in the FAQ, as well as the futility of appealing to IAS!

As previously, you in the final analysis need to answer ABC!
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    Hi
    Thanks

I was thinking of using the mitigating circumstances as stated in the main guide

– It is a first offence on that piece of land.
    –You are a law abiding citizen and you made an honest mistake and you are now fully aware of the parking restrictions.

I do realise you can't make the judgement for me. My question was more of from the forums experience what are my chances. Using the two reason above.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,906 Thanks
    pappa golf
    IAS (kindly!) allows you to send in a late appeal (ie after the usual 21 days from the initial rejection) at a cost of £15

Maybe the OP misunderstood when the £15 is payable?
    Originally posted by Quentin

Parked on 2 Sept 17.

I emailed an appeal with my name and address on 2 September.

On 6 Sept I received a letter from PPL confirming my appeal was unsuccessful and offering me the optio of appealing to the IAS. This costs £15.00.

well within timescale , an appeal is free , not £15

if Mr watkins has offered only this option , the DVLA need to be notified
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    Hi
    Thanks

I was thinking of using the mitigating circumstances as stated in the main guide

– It is a first offence on that piece of land.
    –You are a law abiding citizen and you made an honest mistake and you are now fully aware of the parking restrictions.

I do realise you can't make the judgement for me. My question was more of from the forums experience what are my chances. Using the two reason above.
    Originally posted by A.deeley
    The MSE "main guide" is nothing to do with this forum.

Mitigating circumstances don't have any effect over the ppcs!

You have no chance using those reasons!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    DoaM
    I was thinking of using the mitigating circumstances as stated in the main guide.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

The MSE article is terrible and several years out of date. MSE have been asked many times to remove or revise the article but are dragging their heels.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    Thank you for the advice.

Thats where the confusion was. I was reading one thing on the MSE main site and another on these forums.

I will now pay the reduced fine.

Thanks again
    A
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    It may be worth noting the fact in the thread for Newbies that the MSE is so out of date and to ignore its advice.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. It is appreciated

A
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    Before you pay up check them out at bmpa.

You are in the debt collectors stage now. Surely you read up on what to do about debt collectors!

Why not wait and see if they take you to court! (Which they have 6 years to do, so no-one knows whether they might do so in future)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    It may be worth noting the fact in the thread for Newbies that the MSE is so out of date and to ignore its advice.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. It is appreciated

A
    Mse do pay for this forum which gives free (correct) advice.

It is separate from the main MSE site - they know their article is considered out of date , but it's their website and for whatever reason choose not to amend it.

As you know every newbie here isn't allowed not to know about the FAQ!!
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 6th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,906 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Hi
    The £15.00 charge is made by the IAS.

The IAS is the Independant Appeals Service and is according to their web site ' a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution entity'.

I did not proceed with an appeal.

Regards
    A

On checking
    all std appeals in the UK are FREE , the IPC offer another version for £15 , have you been told that an appeal will cost you £15 , or have you read the letter badly ?
    • A.deeley
    • By A.deeley 6th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    A.deeley
    Hi
    As I said I do appreciate the time taken to assist me.

I have spent nearly two solid days going through the threads, Newbie info and reading the main site before I posted my question.

I was not aware that the Forum section and Main MSE page were in fact separate entities and it's not exactly clear on the pages. So it is easy for a person to assume they are linked and the info on both is mutually supporting. Having this Forum piggy back ( or supporteed by MSE) on the main MSE for free is understandable otherwise it could not exist.

I made an error in not paying correctly. I'm not trying to get out paying something, I just felt the charge made was 'unfair' for the weakness in the parking companies operating system. I also thought after reading other online threads the PCN issuing company could only recover the lost money ie the Parking fee for the duration of the stay. Not an 'unfair' charge.

So I did pay the £60.00. Having to keep of the ticket details for a possible 6 years in case they try to recover the monies and with such a weak case seemed more hassle than it's worth. Waiting 4plus years before attempting recovery would be a good tactic for such a company.

As before thanks for the help.
    A
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 1:25 AM
    • 51,512 Posts
    • 65,127 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I will now pay the reduced fine.

So I did pay the £60.00.
    Pardon? You are the only poster here we've seen do that in ages. Ouch, your money went to PPL as well! Awful decision. No need to have have paid this (allegedly) trashy firm at all.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin