Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 6th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 739Posts
    • 638Thanks
    DSmiffy
    Boiler cover is rattling
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    Boiler cover is rattling 6th Sep 17 at 10:52 AM
    I have a combi boiler, approximately 5 years old, can't remember the make off the top of my head.

It was installed in a cupboard which is in my bedroom as there was nowhere else to install it when I had the old back boiler removed.

The cover rattles like mad everytime the boiler fires up, and often wakes me up. If I push my hand against the boiler cover the rattle stops.

My question is, if I wanted to strap something around the boiler to secure the cover and stop the rattle would this be a fire hazard? Does anything get hot around the back of the boiler??

Thanks
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    Why don't you just tighten the screw(s) holding the front panel on so that it no longer rattles?
    The back of the boiler casing should be flush against the wall, so I doubt you'd get a strap round it.
    Doesn't sound like you've had it serviced recently?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 7th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    DSmiffy
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    I have tightened the screws, but still rattles.
    Yes, you are right, I haven't had it serviced recently, I've just looked into this actually
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,982 Posts
    • 3,397 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    Now, I'm hesitant to suggest this, without actually seeing the boiler ....

However, would it be possible to remove the cover, and place a few sticking plasters around the edge where the cover butts up against the casing ? Not sure I've described that very well ! But what I'm getting at, is that it will create a cushion between the casing and the cover, and also the screws will clamp it more tightly to the casing since there's now an extra half a mm or whatever between the two.

Obviously, it depends on the design. If there's any chance whatsoever of the plasters getting really hot and catching fire, then it's a complete no-no. But usually the front cover is more or less cosmetic, and doesn't come anywhere near the hot parts.

Please, feel free to tell me this is a stupid idea ! Which is why I would advise caution, and make your own judgement. But I'm just thinking it may be a reasonable stop-gap measure that'll cost just a few pence to try, until you can get it looked at properly. And it's definitely worth getting an annual service on boilers - both from a safety and an efficiency point of view. Especially if you have a local independent ( properly qualified ! ) heating engineer who will likely charge a heck of a lot less than the big companies.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 8th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    Now, I'm hesitant to suggest this, without actually seeing the boiler ....

But usually the front cover is more or less cosmetic, and doesn't come anywhere near the hot parts

Please, feel free to tell me this is a stupid idea

This is stupid idea!..... most boilers these days are room sealed using the front cover as part of that seal.... adding 'plasters' or anything to front cover of where it meets another point may result in this seal not functioning correctly and allowing gases to escape into the room...
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    This is stupid idea!..... most boilers these days are room sealed using the front cover as part of that seal.... adding 'plasters' or anything to front cover of where it meets another point may result in this seal not functioning correctly and allowing gases to escape into the room...
    Originally posted by SplanK
    I think the OP is talking about the front cover which is removed to gain access to the controls and the main cover of the boiler which, as you say, should be gas tight. This is a cosmetic cover. I would be more inclined to investigate the source of the rattle rather then smother it! Treat the disease not the symptom.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    This is stupid idea!..... most boilers these days are room sealed using the front cover as part of that seal....
    Shouldn't the sealed parts be the flue and combustion chamber and any associated ducting? If gases are escaping into the void between the combustion components and the outer casing then you already have a serious problem - and a (fuel) gas leak into a 'sealed' container which also houses electrical components would be a very dangerous situation indeed. Most (all?) modern wall-mounted boilers have a very large hole in the bottom of the outer casing where all the pipework enters and leaves the boiler.

That said, the OP would be best advised to get the boiler serviced and ask the heating engineer about the rattle. It might be just taking the cover off for servicing and replacing it solves the problem.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    A lot of modern condensing boilers the front cover is a combustion cover.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 4,825 Posts
    • 5,265 Thanks
    societys child
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    I doubt it'd rattle in that case.
    On mine the cover is a sheet of bent metal, painted white, hooks on at top and two tiny screws hold it on. Open at the top and the bottom to allow ventilation and keep it cool.

A lot of modern condensing boilers the front cover is a combustion cover.
    Dread to think how hot that'd get?
    Last edited by societys child; 09-09-2017 at 3:45 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,413Posts Today

7,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin