Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jas8085
    • By jas8085 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jas8085
    Making an offer on a old house
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    Making an offer on a old house 6th Sep 17 at 10:45 AM
    Hi all,
    We are considering making an offer on a house that needs modernisation. We really like the property.

It needs :
    Full rewiring
    Some gas/pipes work ( to move boiler from the kitchen into the garage)
    New Kitchen,
    New bathrooms,
    Skimming and painting walls (they are full of wallpaper now)
    Replace cieling
    Replace windows (single glazed at the moment)
    New carpets throughout

Anything else that is likely to need updating given that the vendors didn't do much in the 30 yrs they lived there (apart from installing gas heating). Anything I need to check or account for?
Page 3
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 7th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    bxboards

Oh, and we're not listed, but have single glazing (mainly Crittall) throughout. We wouldn't replace as it's a feature of the property, but were we planning on staying would fit secondary glazing. .
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    A property I am doing right now has lovely 9 foot high original sash windows - they are single glazed obviously. Real works of art.

No way in a million years would these be ripped out and replaced with double glazing - it would be vandalism, not improvement.

The local council is very protective of older properties in my area and give conservation area status. This does keep the character of the area nicely.

As you say, the work around is secondary glazing.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 7th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    A property I am doing right now has lovely 9 foot high original sash windows - they are single glazed obviously. Real works of art.

No way in a million years would these be ripped out and replaced with double glazing - it would be vandalism, not improvement.

The local council is very protective of older properties in my area and give conservation area status. This does keep the character of the area nicely.

As you say, the work around is secondary glazing.
    Originally posted by bxboards
    Yep, ours is in a Conservation Area. It also has an Article 4 direction. So does the similarly aged (early 1850s) house next door, but sadly that has ghastly white upvc which I had hoped was going to get replaced as part of the current extension/improvement works, but instead the local authority have approved matching windows in the new extension
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,862Posts Today

7,576Users online

Martin's Twitter