Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jas8085
    • By jas8085 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jas8085
    Making an offer on a old house
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    Making an offer on a old house 6th Sep 17 at 10:45 AM
    Hi all,
    We are considering making an offer on a house that needs modernisation. We really like the property.

It needs :
    Full rewiring
    Some gas/pipes work ( to move boiler from the kitchen into the garage)
    New Kitchen,
    New bathrooms,
    Skimming and painting walls (they are full of wallpaper now)
    Replace cieling
    Replace windows (single glazed at the moment)
    New carpets throughout

Anything else that is likely to need updating given that the vendors didn't do much in the 30 yrs they lived there (apart from installing gas heating). Anything I need to check or account for?
Page 1
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 6th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    What about the condition/age of the boiler? Will it survive the move. We had an old boiler moved. It worked fine in its old position but did not survive the move!

What about insulation?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    Insulation
    Soffits/fascias/gutters
    • plasticcheese
    • By plasticcheese 6th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    plasticcheese
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    Wall ties, insulation, roof condition (check for asbestos), damp proof courses. I know you'd get all that information from a survey but it's worth getting a builder to have a look at the outside of the property for this sort of thing.
    • PField
    • By PField 6th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    PField
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    If you going the hole hog with new bathrooms, get a megaflow type hot water tank for main pressure hot water.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 6th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    Check for damp and asbestos (you never know!)
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    Are you genuinely asking for things you might have forgotten/overlooked/didn't think about, or are you using all of this work as an excuse for offering a lot less than the asking price?

If it's the latter, then some of the things you claim it "needs" are not actually "needs", but simply "wants". Which is fine, just don't expect the vendor to pay for them.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    Are you genuinely asking for things you might have forgotten/overlooked/didn't think about, or are you using all of this work as an excuse for offering a lot less than the asking price?

If it's the latter, then some of the things you claim it "needs" are not actually "needs", but simply "wants". Which is fine, just don't expect the vendor to pay for them.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    If it hasn't been touched in 30 years, it needs.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    If it hasn't been touched in 30 years, it needs.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    A functioning bathroom suite is a need. A bathroom suite that isn't (say) avocado is a want. Similarly, glazing is a need. Double glazing is a want.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    davidmcn
    A functioning bathroom suite is a need. A bathroom suite that isn't (say) avocado is a want. Similarly, glazing is a need. Double glazing is a want.
    And "not touching" a ceiling in 30 years doesn't mean you now need a new ceiling. My ceilings and windows are about 130 years old and don't need replaced.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    G_M
    and chances are a property like that has been priced as..... a property like that!

Listing what needs doing and asking for a reduction in price, when the sellers clearly know full well it needs updating and will have priced accordingly, is unreasonable.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    We'll agree to disagree then. Going back to your comment that prompted mine, an avocado suite detracts from value because houses are available with shiny white ones. No one should be expected to pay the same for different products. So yes, the vendor does 'need' to pay for it by means of being cheaper than recently modernised houses if they want to sell.

If someone chooses to live with an avocado suite because they don't 'need' a better one, fine, but I guarantee you they won't be paying for a shiny white one and happily living with a green one.

Bathrooms are the least of one's worries when a house hasn't been touched in decades. There will be needs to keep the house safe and warm and protect the investment.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 06-09-2017 at 3:58 PM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 6th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    The point is that the house will be priced as is....to try and knock money off to replace the bathrooms isn't reasonable.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 6th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Just bought an old house myself this year but the price reflected the house size, garden etc and although wants modernising this is something to do gradually as we can afford it.

The only thing we needed to budget for:
    water leak repair x 2 ! (ceiling/plastering) but that gave us chance to put a new ceiling in kitchen and spotlights!!! - wouldn't have done until we had to though but can't ignore water running through ceiling!!
    For us replacing an old gas fire and putting a wood burner was a must - a want but not a need (was about running costs for the house) so our priority was to get the plumbings and electrics/heating up to scratch where we had to
    Everything else we can live with - not changing bathrooms or room decor until we have lived in a while

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    The point is that the house will be priced as is....to try and knock money off to replace the bathrooms isn't reasonable.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    No, that wasn't the point made by Reading Tim and it wasn't the question asked by the OP either.

I sometimes think there are people on this board whose entertainment is putting words in OPs mouths for them and then knocking them down. We're supposed to help people as well as entertain ourselves.

The OP knows that the house needs full renovation, bathrooms were already on the list along with some items that took a bit more thought, which already gives the OP more kudos in my eyes than most.

It is absolutely right that they try to consider everything that needs doing and have a guess at what that might cost. And then compare that to the current price of finished houses. And it's better to do that before getting an offer that doesn't cover it all accepted and wasting everybody's time.

G_M suggested that the house would be priced accordingly after Reading Tim said that vendors shouldn't pay for selling with a 30 year old bathroom suite. If the house is already priced accordingly then the vendor clearly is paying for it! Which makes Tim wrong whichever way you lookat it based on his statement.

House buying isn't about want vs. need anyway. It's about want. There's only so many places people can sit at one time. But neglected houses do need work. A lot of it, and it's always underestimated and EAs are usually optimistic with pricing because people don't know how much work costs.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 6th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Right, but the OP is asking about what might "need" doing - so it's fair to point out that just because a bathroom is old doesn't necessarily mean it needs replacing.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    OP can try and knock the price down, but they are really at the mercy of the vendor and they do not have to accept whatever the reason. Depends on their local market conditions
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 6th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Just to add - moving the boiler - our is an old boiler in the sun lounge but works so we are not moving it for now - as it works we didn't expect a reduction in the price.
    Wallpaper wise - lots to replace here but only doing as we need to - it is definitely worth thinking about what you can live with for a while - there are enough costs for an old house!!!.
    Kitchen - ours is old but functional - and to be honest I would rather live in a house for a while and see how I use it - eventually I will replace it but not immediately (I did spend a few days steam cleaning it though!!)
    Windows - see which are the priorities - most of our are double glazed done in 2012 but a few are single glazed and one really grotty bathroom window I just sanded and repainted for now - so its all about priorities.
    Does it really need a full re-wire? The last owners of our house purchased it in the 70s and looks like it was last modernised in the 80s so around 30 years ago. Some of the electrics are old - - but we got our electrician round and it doesn't need a full re-wire but some new boards so with a few jobs around £2k - again I wouldn't have taken that off the price as unless it is unsafe then you only need to do as you are changing electrics (we wanted to move some lights as we put in fireplace) so don't automatically think it will cost a fortune.

Also regarding wallpaper - we had to strip some off to put in a fireplace and just borrowed a steamer and used that new house motivation and it was quickly done

Old houses are not for everyone though - I love mine and I love the quirks and the style - I will also enjoy bringing it up to date gradually but not coming in and adding new kitchen, boiler, windows, electrics, carpets just cos they are 30 + years old. Hope you enjoy yours!!
    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I've entered a paralell universe.

My best friend's Mum's suite has been in for 30 years. It needs replacing. They use it and it doesn't leak but it's properly grotty. It's entirely reasonable to account for that, along with everything else that has been neglected, in an offer.

No one in their right mind is going to offer the same price for a house with a new suite as a 30 year old one. Even if they are happy to live with it.

This house clearly has more wrong with it than a bathroom suite anyway and the OP has their head screwed on. When did we start taking asking prices as the gospel according to value?
    • jas8085
    • By jas8085 6th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jas8085
    1. Nowhere did I mention that I'm making a list to make a silly offer or to rob the vendors.

2. The house is on the market for say £ X. I like it because of its layout and location. To make it to what I WANT my house to be, it will cost £ Y. If I get a better house for £X+£Y, I might not buy this one.

This will be our forever home. So I WANT to get as many WANTS as possible ticked.

My sincere thanks to everyone who gave helpful inputs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin