Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 6th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,456Posts
    • 2,626Thanks
    SamsReturn
    UK's ugliest builgings.
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    UK's ugliest builgings. 6th Sep 17 at 10:40 AM
    A London office block described as a "bright red hideous mess" has been named the UK's worst building.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41163584

It must have been a difficult decision which to choose, there are some terrible buildings here. Bad enough that you'd have to work in one of them, but would you ever have chose one to live in ?
Page 2
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    This ugly thing in Leicester.
    https://www.emporis.com/images/details/239135/exterior-the-entire-complex
    It was empty for some years after BT moved out of it. Now painted blue with random panels painted red, orange and yellow. It's very ugly https://www.bdonline.co.uk/Pictures/web/k/q/u/St_George_s_Tower_041.jpg

Now houses along other things a Premier Inn, a gym and Hastings Direct call centre.

It should have been demolished when it was a grey graffiti covered slug
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 11,440 Posts
    • 15,030 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    More or less, all of Coventry.

1st pic, Lovely County Hall attached by weird metal bridge to 1970's monstrosity. 2nd. Elephant shaped building (Coventry's logo contains an elephant), 3rd, modern carbunckle (most of the University buildings are a bizarre experiment in ensuring the next new build is more uglier than the last, more glass and pointy bits seems to be the architects remit) and finally, the Britannia Hotel, one of the worst hotels in the Country. There are tenements in Russia which look more appealing.

Originally posted by JasonLVC
    That connecting bridge from the council house to the civic building is now gone, probably in readiness for Coventry University taking over.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 26,710 Posts
    • 14,441 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    An odd thing about me is even though most people think chemical plants are ugly for some reason I find them interesting.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I agree Coventry Britannia Hotel is horrible.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 7th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    minimad1970
    An odd thing about me is even though most people think chemical plants are ugly for some reason I find them interesting.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    I like these structures...
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 26,710 Posts
    • 14,441 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    There's a few plants around here. There's a big plant known as the cracker which can be spectacular at night when there is flaring.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I am glad two buildings in Leeds have gone - Leeds International Pool and Yorkshire Evening Post building.

Universities have their horrid buildings
    Southend-on-Sea Essex Uni

York University Central Hall

Leeds Beckett (formally Leeds Met) Broadcasting Place
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Shipley's brutalist clock tower

Argh my eyes! What were those '60s architects thinking of..
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Shipley's brutalist clock tower

Argh my eyes! What were those '60s architects thinking of..
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Knocking beautiful buildings built in the 18th and 19th centuries for concrete eyesores
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 8th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I am glad two buildings in Leeds have gone - Leeds International Pool and Yorkshire Evening Post building.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Ooh no, I remember those being built, they seemed very glamorous at the time. A couple of childhood memories I was sad to see go. I never went in the Olympic pool but I went in Bramley baths, perhaps they're more to your taste: a Grade II listed Edwardian bath house.
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 8th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    I don't entirely understand the hatred towards Brutalism. I mean, it's not pretty, but it's functional. Originally created as a cheap way to build social housing and municipal buildings after the Second World War, some architects later used it as a way not to be ostentatious or show off.

Does anyone really, really hate the Trellik Tower?
    Is The National Theatre *that* bad?

There are some truly amazing ones in London like The Barbican, Baynard House next to Blackfriars station, The Brunswick Centre in Camden, The Ministry of Justice at Petty France, The Civil Aviation Authority on Kingsway, the Lambeth Towers near the Imperial War Museum.

I think the weirdest I've ever seen is in NYC. One point about this building though: it's a telephone exchange.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 8th Sep 17, 11:25 PM
    • 6,647 Posts
    • 15,709 Thanks
    barmonkey
    This is our multistory car park, it was okay until they added the ridiculous steel frame around it in the 90s.

Last edited by barmonkey; 08-09-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 9th Sep 17, 1:20 AM
    • 10,286 Posts
    • 18,916 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    This ugly thing in Leicester.
    https://www.emporis.com/images/details/239135/exterior-the-entire-complex
    It was empty for some years after BT moved out of it. Now painted blue with random panels painted red, orange and yellow. It's very ugly https://www.bdonline.co.uk/Pictures/web/k/q/u/St_George_s_Tower_041.jpg

Now houses along other things a Premier Inn, a gym and Hastings Direct call centre.

It should have been demolished when it was a grey graffiti covered slug
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I actually quite like that Premier Inn- stayed there a few times, mostly when I have an early train. Just paid for three nights there in a couple of weeks when friend comes to visit. I personally think a lot of Leicester is ugly- the glass monstrosity that is John Lewis turns my stomach and I'm not overly keen on some of the wonderful new buildings at my university (De Montfort) I guess I just like buildings to look like buildings and not just giant sheets of glass
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter