Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meggles
    • By meggles 6th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 190Posts
    • 10Thanks
    meggles
    0 WOW
    BA Cancelled Flight - New Seats more Expensive
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    0 WOW
    BA Cancelled Flight - New Seats more Expensive 6th Sep 17 at 10:15 AM
    Looking for some opinions & options here...

I was due to fly on BAxx, LHR-PHL on 23-July-17. 5 passengers on 2 seperate bookings.

We had booked with BA due to the perfect timing and that the overall cost (INCLUDING the cost of pre-booking seats together was the cheapest). We are travelling with a 3 and 5 year old and sitting together as a group makes the journey smoother for us, fellow passengers and BA's cabin crew (as they're not using the aisles to move between parents).

When BAxx was cancelled, we were moved to the 10am American Airlines flight, codeshared BAxxxx. As directed by the cancellation/rebooking email, I called your service department to get a refund on the BA purchased seats and the AA PNR so that I could rebook seats together on American. We had a refund on $173 for all 5 seats. This was processed smoothly and efficiently.

When I went to book seats on American, the seats were nearly triple the price. The total for the 5 seats was $405. This is an extra $232.

I asked BA for a refund of this $232 as I did not ask to leave 3 hours earlier (and have to wake the kids early), and I am was only asking for a similar experience (ie sitting together in standard seats) as I would have had on BA.

After 6 weeks, I had a reply back that because the issue was with American Airlines, I have to go to them.

I booked with BA, and my complaint is with BA cancelling our flight and causing us to be out of pocket.

Do I have any legs to stand on.... I'm stubborn and annoyed.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 18,113 Posts
    • 7,443 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    They are using a standard 3rd party Fob you off trick, persist with your argument.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    Do I have any legs to stand on.
    Originally posted by meggles
    No. I wouldn't ever bother pursuing it, the chances of BA agreeing to refund the difference are virtually non-existing (unless you feel so strongly about it that you are willing to take a chance at small claims court action).
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 6th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 6,103 Thanks
    malkie76
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    I can't see you getting anywhere with this. You paid for an additional product with BA, but they refunded when they couldn't honour it.

You then booked an additional product with AA, under their terms, conditions and price. You aren't technically out of pocket. This isn't anything to do with third parties on this occasion.

Although I understand your grievance BA don't need to refund the difference of an optional product between carriers.

Save your energy and move on.
    Legal team on standby
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    American Airlines don't charge a fee to prebook a particular seat/s - unless you are booking 'preferred' or 'Main Cabin Extra' (extra legroom) seats, in which case that's your choice whether to pay the extra for these (the price is clearly displayed on the seat map) or to choose 'normal' seats (together or otherwise) in the main cabin.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 10-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter