Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joebloggs69
    • By joebloggs69 6th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 160Posts
    • 67Thanks
    joebloggs69
    Casual work while on UC - expenses?
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    Casual work while on UC - expenses? 6th Sep 17 at 10:13 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm waiting for my appointment next week with my work coach to discuss this, but frankly I don't trust their competence anyway. Can anyone give advice in the meantime?

I have just started to claim full UC (HB and JSA), I have managed to pick up a couple of days casual work, which I have had to send an invoice for. It is important to not that I am NOT self employed.

So I've invoiced the company for 2 days work (at the pre agreed rate) plus £70 in petrol expenses and London Congestion charge. NI will be paid directly at the employer's end.

Obviously I understand that I will have my benefit reduced by 63p for every £1 I earn in payment, but how do I stop them from including the expenses? It will come as a single payment.

Unfortunately I have given the original receipts to the company, so I suspect I am stuffed. But even for future reference - can I submit receipts for expenses to my work coach even though I am not self employed?

Many thanks for any advice.

Joe
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 12,706 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    Expenses such as these should be excluded from earned income.

See here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/618962/admh3.pdf

H3080 onwards

Ask your work coach what evidence they would need to show the expenses.
    • joebloggs69
    • By joebloggs69 6th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    joebloggs69
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    Thanks very much for the response, most helpful.

Joe
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,162Posts Today

8,688Users online

Martin's Twitter