Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dvtrv
    • By dvtrv 6th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 149Posts
    • 21Thanks
    dvtrv
    Switching from one Fibre Broadband provider to another
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    Switching from one Fibre Broadband provider to another 6th Sep 17 at 10:03 AM
    Hi,

I'm due to switch from one FB provider to another for the first time.

I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Will the current cable need changing in my home or is it just done from the "exchange box"?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    The only fibre cable is from the exchange to the street cab, unless you have FTTP rather than the much more common FTTC. Otherwise, you have good old-fashioned copper from street cab to the house. The only work will be at the exchange, if you are moving to a different LLU provider. In effect, it's no different to a supplier switch on ADSL.
    All fibre and copper cable from exchange to cab belongs to Openreach, and will continue to do so.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • dvtrv
    • By dvtrv 6th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dvtrv
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    Than you so much for that.

I'm with Virgin is your response the same?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 6th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    Virgin is a completely separate network to the Openreach one.

They're not linked or connected in any way.

If you don't already have an Openreach line, then yes, a new cable will need to be installed to your home.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    who are you moving to?

Are you hoping to take your phone number with you?
    • dvtrv
    • By dvtrv 6th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dvtrv
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    Same house, we have a landline which is BT.

The FB phone number is different to our original landline.
    Both phone numbers work.

Where does that leave me?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    If FB phone number means the Virgin connection and phone line, just give VM notice if you wish to disconnect it and order Fibre from your preferred supplier on the BT line, but I would suggest you get the BT line BB working first then cancel VM if you wish to have no loss of service so creating a overlap period.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 6th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    lee111s
    You call up (or order online) your chosen provider and place an order.

You cancel virgin to coincide with the new service start date.

As I said earlier, they're diferent networks and there would be nothing stopping you having both, if you so wished.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    You cancel virgin to coincide with the new service start date.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    However they wont always actually be the same so an overlap may be preferable.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 6th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    If your current VM service is ' broadband only' then they will turn that off whenever you asked them to.
    If you had VM telephony and broadband and wished to keep whatever number you had with VM only delivered by your 'new' provider, then you would have had to tell your new provider this when you applied for service.

As others have said, VM have their own network that only they offer service over, so whoever your new provider is, will be using Openreach's network.
    If you have a BT landline and that's the number you have ordered broadband for, then chances are you won't see anyone, they connect you remotely and send you a router etc, in the post , you install it yourself.

If you have ordered another 'line' for this broadband ( so you will have 2 lines/ numbers) then you probably will see an engineer to install the line.

If you are renumbering your existing BT line to the number you had with VM, again you probably won't see an engineer , work done remotely , and you fit your own router etc
    Last edited by iniltous; 06-09-2017 at 1:54 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I have a feeling that, somewhere, I read that there is a charge every time you change fibre provider (whereas with ADSL it depends on the provider).

Is this so ?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    I have a feeling that, somewhere, I read that there is a charge every time you change fibre provider (whereas with ADSL it depends on the provider).

Is this so ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    How is that relevant to the OP. He has VM and BT options both totally separate from each other. If you cease a BT / Openreach line then a £30 charge could be made by the ISP for either service.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    geezzz You have been on here since 2006 and pay 2 lots of line rental. and from the 2 most expensive companies.

I bet your Gas is billed by British Gas too.

Do you use the BT or VM phone as your main phone?
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    There will be no recabling work required at the property. Your new provider will use an OR fibre line from exchange to cab, and the existing copper pair onwards from there.
    VM is normally referred to as a cable service, not a fibre service (though it is fibre optic cable).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    The only problem will be if the OP uses the VM phone as the main line, and has several sockets/wired phones around the house.

These will stop working when VM is cut off

You may have sufficient BT sockets around the house, and simply need to unplug phones from VM and connect to BT sockets

or worse case employee someone yourself to resolve it.
    I guess a cordless phone would be cheaper if the BT socket is near a mains socket outlet (3 pin plug)

well I hope the main big BT socket is anyway, as that is where the router needs to go.

OP this may all sound scary, but well worth getting it sorted now, for long term ease and affordability
    Last edited by AndyPK; 07-09-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    • dvtrv
    • By dvtrv 7th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dvtrv
    Thanks to all
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    teddysmum
    How is that relevant to the OP. He has VM and BT options both totally separate from each other. If you cease a BT / Openreach line then a £30 charge could be made by the ISP for either service.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    I didn't say it was relevant to the OP, but thought it a good place to ask the question, as it may help someone reading the thread's title.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 7th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    There will be no recabling work required at the property. Your new provider will use an OR fibre line from exchange to cab, and the existing copper pair onwards from there.
    VM is normally referred to as a cable service, not a fibre service (though it is fibre optic cable).
    Originally posted by macman
    VM is only fibre optic to the cab, it's a coax cable to the house , unless the OP is in a VM FTTH area, and that's not very likely
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter