Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NachoGR
    • By NachoGR 6th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    NachoGR
    Student Loan
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    Student Loan 6th Sep 17 at 9:43 AM
    Hi,

my sister wants to go for a student loan as she is an EU student coming for 1-year degree ( masters degree ). I have some questions in whether it's beneficial to take a student loan.

From what I understand, interest and repayment starts after her first salary above a threshold. But the minimum payment is so low, that if she continues with the minimum the overall amount will be almost double by the date is fully repaid.

I am not sure about the early repayment so I am asking whether the below scenario is a valid one :

1) My sister takes a student loan.
    2) I help her repay it before even the interest starts ( meaning before she starts working ).

Or in other words, I can either stuggle and give her the whole fee now - or pay that gradually in the next 12 or 18 months, where there is no interest charged on her loan.

Can I do that ? Or should the loan be repaid by her salary? I see there is no fee for that, but... is it true?

Many thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,225Users online

Martin's Twitter