Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 6th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance 6th Sep 17 at 9:35 AM
    Budget airline Ryanair has announced that only priority boarding customers will be able to take two bags into the cabin from November - as part of a range of changes it hopes will "ease delays"...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 07-09-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 10,470 Thanks
    zagfles
    "Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?
    Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin."

They always mention two pieces of cabin baggage.
    But what happens if a person has only one wheelie bag?
    I think he would be allowed to bring the bag on board, provided he's within the first 90 people in queue. Or not?
    Originally posted by flavione74
    Not, by the looks of the Ryanair press release.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 6th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    The press release also says

All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.

Implies that only a smaller carry on will be allowed.
    • honeststeveo
    • By honeststeveo 6th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    honeststeveo
    LOL, some people really will bend over backwards to put a negative spin on anything. My usual carry-on bag has doubled as checked luggage dozens of times and is still in perfectly good condition. And you don't put things like laptops and ipads in a bag that is going in hold so that's also non-issue. In general, I suspect the lost bag risk is very small for bags that are checked at the gate.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    They are facts, not spin. Checked baggage gets a rougher ride. I've had my checked baggage lost by an airline on the outbound and much of the holiday was spent buying replacement clothes /other essentials and making trips to the airport to see if the bag had turned up.
    Moreover airports are a PITA enough at security without needing a dedicated super-small carry on bag for your valuables to pack, unpack, repack...
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    jpsartre
    They are facts, not spin.
    Originally posted by honeststeveo
    It's hardly a fact that a checked bag will survive only "a few flights".
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    jpsartre
    They always mention two pieces of cabin baggage.
    But what happens if a person has only one wheelie bag?
    Originally posted by flavione74
    Unless it's within the dimensions for the smaller item it will be gate-checked (according to the rules).
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 6th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Excellent news from an excellent airline and congratulations to Michael O'Leary.
    I'm coming up to my 150th FR flight,all done with a small carry-on bag even as part of long journeys to places like Asia and the US.
    Never had a single problem,virtually always on time and ALWAYS the cheapest option.
    If this new measures succeeds in conditioning the dunderheads who break the very simple rules then it is only to be applauded.
    A great company to invest in too - my large cache of RYA shares purchased for €5 a share six years ago are now trading at €18.
    Trebles all round !
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 6th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    So, having read the press release I have a question that does not seem to be covered. If I already have a flight booked for next year including 2 suitcases for the hold, I assume I will be able to pack them to the higher weight limit (if necessary), but Will I get a refund of the extra cost?
    • mikeeboy
    • By mikeeboy 6th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mikeeboy
    Good news for longer holiday seekers with 20kg and reduced cost case.

Not so good for the weekend traveller who wants to get straight to their transfer with their carry on bag.

Although to be honest, whenever I've flown Ryanair, the bags are already on the carousel before I get to it anyway.

All good in my opinion.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 10,470 Thanks
    zagfles
    Good news for longer holiday seekers with 20kg and reduced cost case.

Not so good for the weekend traveller who wants to get straight to their transfer with their carry on bag.

Although to be honest, whenever I've flown Ryanair, the bags are already on the carousel before I get to it anyway.

All good in my opinion.
    Originally posted by mikeeboy
    If you're just going away for a weekend do you really need more than the small bag 35x20x20 anyway? I manage with the small bag for trips up to 5 days or so.
    • joncombe
    • By joncombe 6th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    joncombe
    I agree that something had to happen and this seems pretty fair to me. You still get the same "free" luggage allowance it's just that now one of your bags might have to go in the hold. If you want to check in a bag, it's cheaper and you now get a larger weight allownace.

The only issue I see really is those travelling hand baggage only might now have to wait for their luggage on arrival, which I admist is a bit of a nuisance, but does not feel like a major issue to me. On the plus side I expect it will reduce delays because I often find departure is delayed whilst the staff try to find gaps to stuff more luggage into the overhead lockers, or pasengers blocking the aisle whilst they try to find space.

Though I'd be interested to see what happens with ruckscacks. I usually take a rucksack with me, which is larger than the "small" bag size but smaller than the "large" bag size. I've never had it taken off me at the gate and I was even told by staff that they don't put rucksacks in the hold at the gate, because they need to be wrapped in plastic so that the straps don't get caught in the luggage conveyors. This seems logical because when I have taken the same bag as checked luggage, that is exactly what has happened to it (it's come back wrapped in plastic).
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 6th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    brianposter
    The press release also says

All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.

Implies that only a smaller carry on will be allowed.
    Originally posted by HogMan

If this means what people are saying it does, it certainly adds to the attractions of Easyjet.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    3. The cabin bag which you take good care of will be bashed around once you let it out of your sight and crushed under huge suitcases. Consequently it will only last a few flights and you'll be out of pocket to replace it much sooner.

4. Every once in a while the airlines will loose your bags for you complete will all your valuables, laptop ipads etc.

Originally posted by honeststeveo
    I have seen baggage handlers throwing luggage onto the conveyor belt thing to the hold very hard. Plus seen them kicking a bag about like a football!

I would not have any electronics in my hold luggage, including cables and chargers because of this. My hold suitcase has clothes, shoes, toiletries, medication that I don't need between dropping off case and picking it up the other end and first aid kit (scissors)

There are several options for the small bag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_i_6_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ryanair+second+bag&sprefix=Ryanair+%2Cdvd-bypost%2C185&crid=386COPAIK6Y2T
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 7th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Yet another typical hyperbolic and inaccurate title by MSE!

This is a positive move. No more people ripping off the gate check labels before reaching the gate , just because they feel like it and then trying to put both their main carry on plus the second bag they'd completely taken the mick with in the overheads, thus causing hold ups. No more people thinking they can just refuse to have their carry ons checked. Everyone knows not to check valuables so that isn't an issue. Good move all around as far as I can see.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 7th Sep 17, 4:12 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    fifeken
    The reason we fly with hand luggage only is the extra wait time at the other end waiting for the carosels to be loaded!
    Originally posted by T4taylor
    You just end up waiting for the bus/taxi or at check in for your hotel or somewhere else.

This change doesn't do much for me in as much as I'd rather get rid of my bag at check in rather than the gate, but if I was to slate it I'd want a decent reason.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I have been lucky with some flights and the speedy time of luggage carousel. Because there is a sudden fight to get off the plane first (never understood this) when got 150-300 passengers leaving from one or two doors.

I went through passport control, visit the loo, go to the carousel area, found which one was for my flight, walk to it and I saw my suitcase appear.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 18,307 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    ...Everyone knows not to check valuables so that isn't an issue....
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    I'm not sure they do, Ryanair may need to advise this during the booking process.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I'm not sure they do, Ryanair may need to advise this during the booking process.
    Originally posted by richardw
    People ignore/don't read advice as they still think they can take their 300ml bottle of shampoo, 450ml can of hairspray and 1.5 litre bottle of water through security.
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 7th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    I, for one, am extremely annoyed about this. I do not trust baggage handlers with my slightly expensive but within limits cabin bag. I carry a lot of electronics and meds that i will need to keep with me. Also, what are they going to do about lithium batteries? I thought that these cannot be put in the hold?

i have a flight booked in November with Ryanair that i now have to fork out extra money for.

This will be my last Ryanair flight i take. i avoid flybe and wizzair and all that charge for normal cabin baggage size for this reason. so annoyed
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18,307 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    ....i avoid.... wizzair and all that charge for normal cabin baggage size...
    Originally posted by MiraculousM
    Btw Wizzair have changed their policy to free https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/about-us/news/2017/07/19/wizz-air-introduces-new-cabin-luggage-policy#/
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 7th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Originally posted by richardw
    Along with just about every other airline out there.

I've known people who have put their car/house keys and travel money and documents with their name and address on into their hold baggage only for it to be lost. Why????
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter