Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 6th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 71Posts
    • 32Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance 6th Sep 17 at 9:35 AM
    Budget airline Ryanair has announced that only priority boarding customers will be able to take two bags into the cabin from November - as part of a range of changes it hopes will "ease delays"...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 07-09-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    They aren't MSE Callum, you ain't read their press release correctly
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

THERE'S NO CUT TO HAND LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE!

The story here is checked luggage is cheaper and the weight allowance increases.
    Last edited by richardw; 06-09-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 6th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    Hand luggage (apart from small bag) will not be allowed in the cabin anymore unless you purchase Priority Boarding. Otherwise it will be placed in the hold, (free) no ifs buts or maybes.

On the other hand the cost of checked luggage will decrease.

Judging by some of the elephant trunks I saw being taken on board as hand luggage, something had to give here.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 6th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    They have to do something.

The cabin was chaotic on a Ryanair flight I took recently - people trying to take way too much as hand luggage and staff struggling to close lockers, floor covered in bags etc.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 10,299 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    Ryanair are a brilliant airline. Without them many of us would be paying a heck of a lot more to go on our weekend trips and jollies.

I've travelled Ryanair many times and had great value and service. I have also seen many p**stakers trying to blag their way onto flights with oversized bags etc. I recently returned from Portugal and saw three people whipped out of the queue and billed a hefty amount for trying to blag oversized bags as hand luggage.

The message is just pay by the rules.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    So it seems if you turn up with just one wheely bag (larger size), it'll get taken off you and put in the hold.

Be interesting to see if it's actually implemented like this. Most flights I've been on have had very few priority boarders. If they're going to restrict everyone else to bags that fit under the seat there's going to a lot of empty overhead locker space! I suspect they'll end up allowing a lot of non-priority boarders on with their bags, perhaps towards the end of the queue.
    Last edited by zagfles; 06-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 10,299 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    Agree with zag,,all the faffing about will delay departure...its true though that the hand luggage thing needs managing due to abuse.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 6th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    T4taylor
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    This has already happened to us, flying back from Barcelona at the start of August. The flight was delayed and they came down the queue and told those of us with wheely cases they would have to go in the hold as they only have space for 90 cases in the overhead lockers. Fair enough, but we were at the back of the queue and there were plenty of customers sat down who had not even joined the queue who were permitted to have their bags with them. The reason we fly with hand luggage only is the extra wait time at the other end waiting for the carosels to be loaded! After buying a special wheely suitcase, specifically sized to be permitted in overhead lockers it now seems laughable that I have to pay an extra £5 for the priviledge of having it with me. And don't get me started on paying to sit next to my travel companion due to 'random seat allocation'. Ryanair - you've lost 1 customer for a start.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 6th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    I'm struggling to understand why this is even worthy of a 'story'. I fly regularly, all over the world, the 'mucking about' I see from passengers with so called 'flight cabin baggage' often beggars belief.

I'm no fan of Ryanair, I've done one return trip with them to Dublin and that was enough for me, never again. That being said, I'm not going to sit here and whinge at whatever business model they choose to operate.

Ryanair are a privately owned company are they not? and they operate ultimately in the interests of their shareholders and to maximise whatever profit they can where they see fit. If travellers don't like it, then with the greatest respect, I'm sure there are other choices one can make? People constantly attracted by 'low air fares' topped up by pay for this, pay for that, what does one expect?

As for being 'separated' from friends and family through so called 'random' seat allocation, I admit, that isn't much fun, especially for families, but again, if there's something a potential customer doesn't like about how this Company operate, then find another way and if you can't, make do and move on. We've all heard the stories, there's enough press about it. Sorry that sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

If Ryanair suddenly lose hundreds of thousands of customers, then they might alter certain business decisions, but seemingly, no matter what the next thing they come up with, people will still fly with them. That's borne out by the sheer amount of people who use the airline. They must be doing something right!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    I'm struggling to understand why this is even worthy of a 'story'.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Err, because it's useful news about a popular airline's baggage policy which will affect lots of MSE readers, perhaps?
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 6th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Err, because it's useful news about a popular airline's baggage policy which will affect lots of MSE readers, perhaps?
    Originally posted by zagfles
    This 'useful' news will be undoubtedly be stated somewhere in the small print of Ryanair's T's&C's and online when booking if folks could be bothered to read them.

As I say, why is anyone whingeing at this? They're a private company operating under their own business model. I'm a MSE reader myself, but even I understand that private businesses make their own decisions, sometimes believe it or not, after scrutinising their OWN customers feedback. That may be difficult to comprehend, but there it is. I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, I'm just a realist. If customers aren't happy, then make another choice, that's all I'm saying!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    This 'useful' news will be undoubtedly be stated somewhere in the small print of Ryanair's T's&C's and online when booking if folks could be bothered to read them.

As I say, why is anyone whingeing at this? They're a private company operating under their own business model. I'm a MSE reader myself, but even I understand that private businesses make their own decisions, sometimes believe it or not, after scrutinising their OWN customers feedback. That may be difficult to comprehend, but there it is. I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, I'm just a realist. If customers aren't happy, then make another choice, that's all I'm saying!
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Ryanair have changed their baggage policy. That is useful news to travellers. We don't need to be told "they're a private business they can do what they want" (duh really?) every time we discuss a change in their policy. Nobody is arguing they're not entitled to make this change, so who exactly are you arguing with, other than a strawman?

MSE are informing us. We are discussing it. Not starting a revolution to try to get them to reverse their decision. Someone has already said they won't use Ryanair anymore, just like you suggested.
    Last edited by zagfles; 06-09-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 6th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    movilogo
    Already recently I have noticed that RyanAir was asking passengers towards the end of boarding queue to put their hand luggage in cargo area.

Now they have extended this operation for all (except priority) passengers.

The "cabin luggage" is still free to be checked in to hold at the boarding time.

So, the disadvantage for passengers:

1. You won't have access to your cabin baggage while in flight (2-3 hours)
    2. You have to wait in luggage reclaim area to get you bags.

There is no monetary cost unless you insist to take your hand baggage with you (the laptop bag, ladies handbag type things are still free to carry to cabin).
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 6th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Ryanair have changed their baggage policy. That is useful news to travellers. We don't need to be told "they're a private business they can do what they want" (duh really?) every time we discuss a change in their policy. Nobody is is arguing they're not entitled to make this change, so who exactly are you arguing with, other than a strawman?

MSE are informing us. We are discussing it. Not starting a revolution to try to get them to reverse their decision. Someone has already said they won't use Ryanair anymore, just like you suggested.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Believe it or not, I'm not adverse to serious proper discussion. However, had MSE Staff linked to Ryanair's link as in the one provided by richardw in the first instance, it might have come across as a slightly less sensationalist headline.

I think you probably know more than I do, that a simple 'story' often just turns out to be a whingefest for everything else customers might not like about the Company. After all, it didn't take long to sideline the conversation into the seating policy did it?

Yes, discuss the 'story' but at least read the small print before getting too upset.

Nuff said said the Strawman!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    Already recently I have noticed that RyanAir was asking passengers towards the end of boarding queue to put their hand luggage in cargo area.

The "cabin luggage" is still free to be checked in to hold at the boarding time.

There is no monetary cost unless you insist to take your hand baggage with you (the laptop bag, ladies handbag type things are still free to carry to cabin).
    Originally posted by movilogo
    I suspect they think it'll increase the numbers of priority boarders by having a policy stating you will have your wheely bag taken off you if you don't choose priority boarding, rather than might as previously.

My guess is that in reality not much will change, they'll still rather have bags in the cabin than in the hold as hold baggage increases turnaround times and is extra work for ground staff. So they'll probably still let some non-priority boarders on with wheely bags like now.
    • honeststeveo
    • By honeststeveo 6th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    honeststeveo

Originally posted by movilogo
    3. The cabin bag which you take good care of will be bashed around once you let it out of your sight and crushed under huge suitcases. Consequently it will only last a few flights and you'll be out of pocket to replace it much sooner.

4. Every once in a while the airlines will loose your bags for you complete will all your valuables, laptop ipads etc.

There is a monetary cost. It's just not immediate.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 6th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    I suspect they think it'll increase the numbers of priority boarders by having a policy stating you will have your wheely bag taken off you if you don't choose priority boarding, rather than might as previously.
    Given it is £5 for priority boarding and £25 for a checked bag, I suspect so too.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    jpsartre
    3. The cabin bag which you take good care of will be bashed around once you let it out of your sight and crushed under huge suitcases. Consequently it will only last a few flights and you'll be out of pocket to replace it much sooner.

4. Every once in a while the airlines will loose your bags for you complete will all your valuables, laptop ipads etc.

Originally posted by honeststeveo
    LOL, some people really will bend over backwards to put a negative spin on anything. My usual carry-on bag has doubled as checked luggage dozens of times and is still in perfectly good condition. And you don't put things like laptops and ipads in a bag that is going in hold so that's also non-issue. In general, I suspect the lost bag risk is very small for bags that are checked at the gate.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    BorisThomson

Originally posted by honeststeveo
    I only ever travel with a cabin size bag, but on long haul I will check it in. It's seven years old and still in excellent condition! If you're buying the type of bag that only lasts a few flights then your cheap bag is a false economy.
    • flavione74
    • By flavione74 6th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    flavione74
    "Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?
    Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin."

They always mention two pieces of cabin baggage.
    But what happens if a person has only one wheelie bag?
    I think he would be allowed to bring the bag on board, provided he's within the first 90 people in queue. Or not?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

7,226Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin