Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dgsmith80
    • By dgsmith80 6th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dgsmith80
    Accident in Company Car
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    Accident in Company Car 6th Sep 17 at 9:00 AM
    Hello All,

I am after some advice please. I currently drive a company car but am also a named driver on my wife's insurance policy.

I had an accident in my CC a few months back which was my fault (minor accident no injuries) which was dealt with by my company insurance.

My question is now my wife's insurance is due for renewal do I need to declare my accident even though it didn't occur on my personal insurance policy?

I assume the answer is going to be yes but I just want to be sure before I do it as I'm sure it will increase her premiums slightly.

Thanks
    David
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 7,374 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    Yes. "Any accidents, claims or convictions?" is the normal question, with no "on this insurance policy" caveat. You've had an accident and a claim.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    As above. If there was a claim on her policy and a quick cursory check of the Motor Insurance Database returned a hit for your name and a claim and you hadn't put it down then her insurer could refuse to pay her out or if there were a third party claim pursue her for the value of the payout.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    Yes - claims regarding named drivers need to be declared. We even got a premium amendment (and admin fee) on my wife's policy because a non-fault claim by me (in my company car) was still showing on CUE database as Fault ... because the 3rd party insurer hadn't yet paid the claim - almost a year later! (Claim was in April 2016 ... wife's renewal was September 2016 ... premium adjustment was January 2017 ... 3rd party finally paid the claim April 2017).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • dgsmith80
    • By dgsmith80 6th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dgsmith80
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    Thanks everyone I thought as much as it sounded a bit shady to not declare but didn't want to bump her premium if it was acceptable not to.

I will let her know not needs to be included
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    You can make a subject access request to the MIB to obtain your records. It will take about a month,you might not have time to check if your accident has been registered.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • loskie
    • By loskie 6th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    loskie
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    Yes
    The wifes insurance co will not care or check at time of taking the policy HOWEVER should she/you have a claim they will raise the issue and you may be uninsured.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    You can make a subject access request to the MIB to obtain your records. It will take about a month,you might not have time to check if your accident has been registered.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    What is the point paying mib for a SAR???

Waste of money and time.

The OP knows his claim has to be disclosed.

(The database which holds claim details which insurers use to share info to cut down on fraudulent motorists is CUE)
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    What is the point paying mib for a SAR???

Waste of money and time.

The OP knows his claim has to be disclosed.

(The database which holds claim details which insurers use to share info to cut down on fraudulent motorists is CUE)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Yes i agree,its just always nice to know whats on there. The correct route is for op to fess up.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    Yes i agree,its just always nice to know whats on there. The correct route is for op to fess up.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Why would the OP want to know what information the mib hold on him? They won't have any relevant info on him!

As already posted, just a waste of time and money!
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Of course i mean this..
    https://www.mib.org.uk/media/335232/cue-and-miaftr-dsar-request-form_v01.pdf
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 8th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    • 13,021 Posts
    • 8,241 Thanks
    arcon5
    Have you had an accident? Yes
    Habe you had any claims? No. Your employer did not you
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 8th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    angrycrow
    The question will most likely be worded along the lines of "have you had any accidents, claims or losses in the last x years"

You have had an accident so the only answer you can give is yes. If you don't answer honestly and they find out they will most likely void the policy at which point both you and your wife then have to answer the question "have your every had insurance refused or cancelled" as yes and then insurers will either not quote or will add huge amounts to the price.

Far better not to play games and just answer the question honestly.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    DoaM
    Have you had an accident? Yes
    Habe you had any claims? No. Your employer did not you
    Originally posted by arcon5
    Wrong. Whilst it may be the employer's insurance policy the claim still gets registered against your name and must be declared as such. When I had the non-fault accident mentioned in post #4, as the claim hadn't been settled the CUE database showed it as a fault claim against ME not my company, hence why my wife's policy was affected.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin