Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bunny4jeff
    • By Bunny4jeff 6th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bunny4jeff
    Pre-check for Eligibility for Balance Transfer Fail...
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    Pre-check for Eligibility for Balance Transfer Fail... 6th Sep 17 at 8:54 AM
    Realising that i may in the future find it difficult to make all the monthly payments on my current credit cards, I followed MoneysavingsExpert's video advice to apply through Barclaycard for a special balance transfer card, to consolidate my payments to one more affordable amount. I am currently not owing anyone or overdrawn, but doing the eligibility pre-check they provide gave me the result that I would not be accepted. This was not the impression given in the video. Does anybody know of anyone who would be prepared to offer a card or loan to those who can foresee possible problems ahead, and wish to do something about a consolidation before it becomes a genuine problem? I and I'm sure, many others are trying to do something to help the situation, not burying our heads in the sand. Surely there is some help out there, of a practical nature for those looking for it, before it becomes necessary? I would have thought I was taking a welcome practical approach but noone seems willing to help.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 6th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 8,661 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    If you haven't missed any payments, then it sounds like you are nearing the limit of what lenders are comfortable with, perhaps with attitudes hardening after some bad press recently.

You may find your existing cards will make you 0% offers if you are well under the credit limit or, better, can clear the card completely.

It is worth checking your credit files in case there is something there that is causing a problem.

But if you are really finding it difficult to make all the monthly payments on your current credit cards then you probably need to do a statement of affairs and let us have a look at it.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    Does anybody know of anyone who would be prepared to offer a card or loan to those who can foresee possible problems ahead?
    Originally posted by Bunny4jeff
    If you can foresee problems chances are lenders can too and are unwilling to take the risk. Perhaps you biggest issue will be affordability. What is you current income and outstanding debt?

You should also be aware that, generally, consolidation loans do not work.
    • Bunny4jeff
    • By Bunny4jeff 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bunny4jeff
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    If you can foresee problems chances are lenders can too and are unwilling to take the risk. Perhaps you biggest issue will be affordability. What is you current income and outstanding debt?

You should also be aware that, generally, consolidation loans do not work.
    Originally posted by MEM62
    Thanks, this is probably right, that they see problems arising, or have been "burnt" before... but for someone like me, who fully intends to make the payments and would be able to do so if the payments were consolidated into one amount instead of several, with their varying interest rates..but as things will be changing soon, my husband's income will be dropping; I wanted to make changes before anything became a problem. Now, it looks as though I will be better off writing to my creditors, explaining the situation and offering to pay as much as I can manage, which will not be the full monthly figure. It would have been better for them, and us, if we could have come to some arrangement with some kind of consolidation. I did decide to apply for a personal loan from my bank, explaining it was to consolidate, but was turned down. Oh well, I've tried, c'est la vie...many thanks for your advice anyway!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 8th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 8,661 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    ... but for someone like me, who fully intends to make the payments and would be able to do so if the payments were consolidated into one amount instead of several, with their varying interest rates..but as things will be changing soon, my husband's income will be dropping; I wanted to make changes before anything became a problem. Now, it looks as though I will be better off writing to my creditors, explaining the situation and offering to pay as much as I can manage, which will not be the full monthly figure.
    Originally posted by Bunny4jeff
    Credit cards tend to have a minimum payment of 1% so you will still have the same minimum payment whether it is spread over a few credit cards or consolidating into one, unless you are moving from sub-prime cards to mainstream ones.

As you go on to say, you will soon be unable to afford the minimum payments so the new lenders who declined made the correct decision and. as we often see, the desire to consolidate, seems to be a precursor to some sort of debt management.

If you want to post a statement of affairs we can give advice on the way forward

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    • Bunny4jeff
    • By Bunny4jeff 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bunny4jeff
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    Credit cards tend to have a minimum payment of 1% so you will still have the same minimum payment whether it is spread over a few credit cards or consolidating into one, unless you are moving from sub-prime cards to mainstream ones.

As you go on to say, you will soon be unable to afford the minimum payments so the new lenders who declined made the correct decision and. as we often see, the desire to consolidate, seems to be a precursor to some sort of debt management.

If you want to post a statement of affairs we can give advice on the way forward
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Ok, will get one ready, and appreciating already the positive comments, and the very first sympathetic ears! I was feeling a bit like I was wading through thick lumpy custard, but now the custard, while still thick, has suddenly become smoother and less lumpy...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,591Posts Today

10,712Users online

Martin's Twitter