Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 6th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 494Posts
    • 770Thanks
    BBH123
    How to break the exercise inertia ?
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    How to break the exercise inertia ? 6th Sep 17 at 8:11 AM
    I can see how easy it is not to exercise.

You commute to work in your car, sit down at a desk all day with the most walking done just across the office to the photocopier. You eat a sandwich at your desk and dont move all afternoon until you get in your car to go back home.

You are then shattered from a days inertia and lack of fresh air, walk to the kitchen to make a bowl of pasta and then to the sofa for an evening telly. Up to bed and it all starts again the next day.

Weekends are spent doing chores and shopping ready for it all to start again the following week.

You have to be really motivated to build exercise in your routine and not many people are prepared to be at the gym at six am or 8pm.

I realise a sedentary life is no good so have just joined a walking club to break this cycle. 8 - 10 miles a weekend is better than nothing.
Page 3
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 5,751 Posts
    • 28,186 Thanks
    bugslet
    There is no two ways about it, the only way you are going to introduce it in your life as a routine is accepting that you'll have to force yourself to do it!

So I count exercise as just another chore that is good for me... except that it is one that makes me feel wonderful afterwards, a feeling I don't get so much with my other chores. It keeps me fit, slim, and just good about myself. It's just the motivation to get up and do it that is hard however, I've found that the more it is incorporated into my every day life, the less I question whether I want to do it or not.

Then there is the euphoria when I ran my first semi marathon when I started not able to run more than 30 minutes, then the triathlon, when I could swim one length. It's all part of pushing yourself and then getting the benefits of the sense of achievement.

To make exercise work for me, I had to introduce a mental part to it, hence the setting myself goals because I don't get as much a rush of feeling good from the physical side or it than the mental.

There is no doubt that a busy life is an excuse in that if you do want to commit to it, you will make the time for it, you will only trade a comfort activity for another chore! Although now, I would rather go for a 1/2 hour run than wash the car for that same amount of time, or 1/2 hour of ironing!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Even having a goal doesn't help. I hate exercise, hate it. Hate taking the dogs for walks really, occasionally something happens that makes it a bit nicer. Still go for three walks a day though.

I don't mind dancing, but with around at best 1 - 1.5 hours free during the day Monday to Friday, tough, I'm not adding that in to the mix..
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 16th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    Ilona
    There is no two ways about it, the only way you are going to introduce it in your life as a routine is accepting that you'll have to force yourself to do it!

Like many, I live a mad life, up early, stressful day in the office, rushing back with yet another long list of to-dos, and feeling in the evening that I'll never make it to the week-end! When I'm done with all the chores, the last thing I crave is another chore, I am desperate for comfort, ie. food, tv, reading.

So I count exercise as just another chore that is good for me... except that it is one that makes me feel wonderful afterwards, a feeling I don't get so much with my other chores. It keeps me fit, slim, and just good about myself. It's just the motivation to get up and do it that is hard however, I've found that the more it is incorporated into my every day life, the less I question whether I want to do it or not.

Then there is the euphoria when I ran my first semi marathon when I started not able to run more than 30 minutes, then the triathlon, when I could swim one length. It's all part of pushing yourself and then getting the benefits of the sense of achievement.

To make exercise work for me, I had to introduce a mental part to it, hence the setting myself goals because I don't get as much a rush of feeling good from the physical side or it than the mental.

There is no doubt that a busy life is an excuse in that if you do want to commit to it, you will make the time for it, you will only trade a comfort activity for another chore! Although now, I would rather go for a 1/2 hour run than wash the car for that same amount of time, or 1/2 hour of ironing!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Fbaby has got it right. Exercising on a regular basis makes me feel great. It's all about prioritizing, I want to live a long life so I set time aside to do a fast three mile walk every day. Exercise is near the top of my 'to do', list, housework is at the bottom.

I don't understand why some people take chances with their health, surely it's got to be the number one concern, to stay healthy for as long as possible. Why would anybody choose to eat rubbish, to sit around all day, and not do any exercise? I just don't get it. To me, looking after my health is non negotiable, I have to do it.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin