Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 7,329Posts
    • 13,451Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    How to prevent getting post holiday cold
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    How to prevent getting post holiday cold 6th Sep 17 at 8:05 AM
    Every time I fly back from holiday, I get a really bad cold. Which turns into a chest infection. It normally takes 3 weeks plus after my first symptoms to clear

I take vitamin c, zinc, Echinacea, eat a healthy-ish diet. Though I hardly see fruit n veg in restaurants. My holiday is half board.

I'm generally a healthy person. But worried about getting a cold after coming back
Page 1
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 6th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 1,935 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    Sick
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    Don't fly!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 6th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    All that recycled air on flights, yuck! However as there's not much you can do about that, what I always do as soon as I take my seat, is to wipe my hands, the arm rests, tray table and lever with an antibacterial hand wipe.

No idea if it helps but it makes me feel better. Plus if I have to use the onboard loo, even though I wash my hands, I then use antibac gel on my hands when I get back to my seat.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 14,223 Posts
    • 14,160 Thanks
    Nile
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    All that recycled air on flights, yuck! However as there's not much you can do about that, what I always do as soon as I take my seat, is to wipe my hands, the arm rests, tray table and lever with an antibacterial hand wipe.

No idea if it helps but it makes me feel better. Plus if I have to use the onboard loo, even though I wash my hands, I then use antibac gel on my hands when I get back to my seat.
    Originally posted by pattycake
    Good advice from pattycake.

I would add, try not to touch your eyes or nose unless you've washed your hands because that's a fast track way to invite the cold virus to attack you.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    You could try some of the Vicks First Defence nasal spray. I use that when cold season hits hard at work and I'm convinced that I get fewer (and less nasty) colds because of it.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 7,329 Posts
    • 13,451 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    Good advice from pattycake.

I would add, try not to touch your eyes or nose unless you've washed your hands because that's a fast track way to invite the cold virus to attack you.
    Originally posted by Nile
    I will try to avoid to touch my eyes. It will be difficult as my eye condition they dry out quicker than the average person. Have my prescribed eye drops on me (Hylo)
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 8th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    Good hand hygiene is the key to preventing most transmissible diseases.

Every time you touch something someone else has touched before, then bugs are lurking.

Luggage trollies, door handles, card payment key pads, the magazines in the seat pockets, arm rests - the list goes on.... If you think about it too much, it's very easy to become a bit OCD!

But, if you're particularly concerned about flights, be particularly careful around airports & planes. Wash hands wherever practical (with soap & warm water) and have some hand sanitizer (small bottle to get through security) for when you can't.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    The best thing is probably to just try and keep yourself in the best health you can all year round. A well functioning immune system will deal with most things you pick up in normal day to day life, so unless yours is compromised in some way just make sure your nutrition is good, that you get enough exercise and that you sleep well and you stand yourself in good stead to beat off any bugs!

Even if you do get a cold or sort throat after the flight (it is pretty common) then if you're in generally good health it shouldn't wipe you out for weeks afterwards.
    • marrowgirl
    • By marrowgirl 12th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    marrowgirl
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    weirdly I used to get this too but have not had a post flight cold since going vegan 2 years ago and I have had a few flights since then. Now this may just be co-incidence but you could try reducing dairy intake around the time of your holiday as for some people dairy seems to make mucus more viscous and sticky so if you get a cold you may not suffer as much? It may be worth a try if you already have a healthy diet.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
    • Debran
    • By Debran 16th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Debran
    Antibacterial wipes and gel can be useful but they won't do anything to prevent a cold. They work on bacteria but not viruses.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 24th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 7,338 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    dori2o
    Get the flu jab.

It can't hurt.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 24th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Debran
    Get the flu jab.

It can't hurt.
    Originally posted by dori2o
    Excellent suggestion - but it won't prevent a cold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin