Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Qwertzzzzqqqq
    • By Qwertzzzzqqqq 6th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Qwertzzzzqqqq
    Been fired - termination papers has my last day weeks after required notice period
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    Been fired - termination papers has my last day weeks after required notice period 6th Sep 17 at 7:58 AM
    I recently started a new job - from the very first day it was clear this wasn't a good fit and I was immediately back on the job sites looking for something new.

I'm still in my 6 month probation period, during which I have one weeks notice to give/receive. I was fired yesterday and on the paper they gave me which outlines that I've been fired it says my last day will actually be in three weeks from today (to help with handover to new member of staff), rather than one week.

I was actually relieved at this, as this gives me a few weeks to find my next job, rather than simply having only one week left at work.

My problem is; I've just been offered a new job with a start date of next week as I told them I only had a weeks notice to give.

On my employment contract it clearly states I only have a weeks notice - but with my final day on the termination paper saying my last day is three weeks from now, how do I best go about this?
Page 1
    • Kosher Kid
    • By Kosher Kid 6th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kosher Kid
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    Give your employer the notice stipulated on your contract. If they decided to offer you more notice than they were contractually obliged to, that's up to them - you are not obliged to reciprocate.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    What's the worst that can happen? They could fire you??
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    Does the 3 weeks include untaken leave?

As they do not want you, there's nothing to stop you going to the other job having given 1 weeks notice.

Is the new job offer subject to references? Do they know you've been sacked from current job?
    Last edited by nicechap; 06-09-2017 at 1:37 PM.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 6th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 17,015 Posts
    • 37,518 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    Give a week's notice, simple as.

They chose to give you more. Unless you've actually agreed in writing to the notice that you have to give increasing then 1 week will still stand.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    stator
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    Essentially you have to quit. Assuming the notice period in your contract is reciprocal, ie you can quit with 1 weeks notice and they can fire you with 1 weeks notice.
    They have proposed to terminate your employment in 3 weeks, which is nice of them.
    There's nothing to stop you resigning with 1 weeks notice in the meantime.
    Quite a lucky turn of events really
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin