Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shakey87
    • By Shakey87 6th Sep 17, 6:54 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Shakey87
    Inexperienced newbie seeking to claim tax back
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:54 AM
    Inexperienced newbie seeking to claim tax back 6th Sep 17 at 6:54 AM
    Hello all
    Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place, also apologies for what is probably quite a silly question but one I don't know the answer to!
    How do I go about claiming back overpaid PAYE tax? My new employer put me on an emergency tax code last year which I rectified for my second pay check. I had thought that magically my overpaid tax from the first pay check would be automatically repaid but this has not happened. What should I do?
    Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 6th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,074 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    Hello all
    Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place, also apologies for what is probably quite a silly question but one I don't know the answer to!
    How do I go about claiming back overpaid PAYE tax? My new employer put me on an emergency tax code last year which I rectified for my second pay check. I had thought that magically my overpaid tax from the first pay check would be automatically repaid but this has not happened. What should I do?
    Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Shakey87
    more details needed. What months are you referring to? had you moved from another employer?
    unless your first month was March, the overpaid tax would have been sorted out when the tax code was corrected if on PAYE
    for the complete tax year what was the total income and what was the total tax paid?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    We also need to know what the tax code you were put onto was, if it was a non-cumulative code then the overpaid tax wouldn't have been returned.

But the answer to your question really is to ring up HMRC (early in the morning is best, we recommend slightly before 8 a.m.) and tell them - you might need to insist that they repay the tax, as their default position is likely to be to amend your tax code, which would mean you'd get it repaid in dribs and drabs between now and next March.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 23,400 Posts
    • 13,600 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-basics/how-do-i-claim-tax-back/how-do-i-claim-back-tax-i-have-overpaid-through-paye
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 6th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    There is a common assumption that to be on emergency tax means that you have overpaid tax. Sometimes this is the case sometimes you will underpay tax and sometimes it works out as the correct tax being paid. Even if you were on an OT or BR tax code for a little while (sometimes wrongly called an emergency tax) it does not guarantee that you have overpaid tax.
    If you give full details someone will check your tax possition.
    • Shakey87
    • By Shakey87 7th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Shakey87
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    Thank you very much for responses & sorry for a slow reply - mornings are pretty much my only time to come on here!

I changed jobs in September 2016 and the issue with what I have called 'emergency tax' was for my September 2016 pay.
    At my previous place my tax code was 1100L.
    For Sept 2016 only the tax code was 0T M1.
    My final tax code on my P60 for 2017 was 1100L M1.
    All deductions from Oct 2016 to now have been stable each month with no changes (other than the changes in April 2017 that affected everyone).

I will take a look at the link posted above by xylophone as well.

Thanks again!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 7th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    Were you paid by both employers in Sept 16? If so you would already have used your personal allowance with your old employer. Look at your P60. Are the figures as they should be according to your records. If you have nothing special and are a 20% tax payer then try ... Subtract £11000 from total gross pay (both jobs) & divide what is left by 5. How close is that to the tax you actually paid? It won't be exact.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 7th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 5,313 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    As we're talking the 2016-17 tax year here, the chances are that if you had overpaid (or underpaid) tax, HMRC would have contacted you about it by now - I got some tax back a couple of months ago now.

If you haven't yet got an id to check your personal tax account online, it's worth doing as this allows you to go in and check

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 7th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    Thank you very much for responses & sorry for a slow reply - mornings are pretty much my only time to come on here!

I changed jobs in September 2016 and the issue with what I have called 'emergency tax' was for my September 2016 pay.
    At my previous place my tax code was 1100L.
    For Sept 2016 only the tax code was 0T M1.
    My final tax code on my P60 for 2017 was 1100L M1.
    All deductions from Oct 2016 to now have been stable each month with no changes (other than the changes in April 2017 that affected everyone).

I will take a look at the link posted above by xylophone as well.

Thanks again!
    Originally posted by Shakey87
    In order to check your tax position what is needed is your total taxable pay for the year and your total tax paid for the year. What you have described could mean you have overpaid tax or that your tax is correct. If you received a payment from your old employer and your new employer in the same tax month your tax paid will be correct; if all payments were made in separate tax months then you will have overpaid, details of taxable pay and tax for the year will show which is the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,101Posts Today

5,348Users online

Martin's Twitter