Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debsterrr
    • By debsterrr 5th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    debsterrr
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for a child that isn't mine?
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel insurance for a child that isn't mine? 5th Sep 17 at 11:26 PM
    I'm taking my daughter and her best friend on holiday to USA next month and just wondering about travel insurance. Do I need to get travel insurance that covers all of us (because I paid and it'll be easier to claim for all 3 of us if something went wrong?), or does her family have to get her travel insurance because she's not part of my family?

Also, when I've gone to get a quote I either get options of individual, family, or group (but group normally implies adults only)

Really not sure what to do for the best

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 6th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    stephb34
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    Check with her family if they have an annual policy for their family then you won't need to get one. How old is she because if she's 18 then she would need her own policy. You can get it for her but you need to know about her medical issues. The most important thing I would look for is the excess on the policies. It would be silly to get a £5 policy if you have to pay £300+ if you needed to make a claim.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    martindow
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    I suppose there would be an issue if someone was unable to travel and everybody decided they did not want to go. If one of you broke their leg the day before the holiday, for instance.

If your party is insured by two separate policies this situation would probably not be insured.

Even so for the USA, insurance is essential even if cancellation is not fully covered.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 18,491 Posts
    • 42,400 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    You can do either, a group policy with most insurers is for non-related passengers travelling together, or you can ask the child's parents to arrange their own insurance for their child. Not all insurers will allow a single policy for a child so if you choose this option they may have to shop around a bit, but it is possible.

As an aside, have you really not got insurance yet for your own family?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 6,843 Posts
    • 8,431 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    Check with her family if they have an annual policy for their family then you won't need to get one.
    Originally posted by stephb34
    As long as that policy allows for the child travelling with non-family members.

How old is she because if she's 18 then she would need her own policy.
    It depends on the policy. My 19 year old was covered to travel by himself by his Mum's bank account insurance. Full time education extending the age limit to 23.

Different policies will have different wordings. Your words may be accurate but equally they may be incorrect in this specific case.

Advice to OP is to check what cover the child's family has and make sure they read the wording very carefully. Then take things from there.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 18,413 Posts
    • 14,129 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:40 AM

As an aside, have you really not got insurance yet for your own family?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    • debsterrr
    • By debsterrr 6th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    debsterrr
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    Both children are 12.

And I only booked the holiday a few days ago so just started looking at insurance now.

I doubt my daughters friend has any travel insurance as they haven't been away for years and in fact the girl I'm taking has never been abroad!

Whatever I choose to do I will DEFINITELY get insurance as I have to cover my daughter for a pre-existing condition and I've seen how expensive things can get if anything goes wrong
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 9,435 Posts
    • 10,605 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    And I only booked the holiday a few days ago so just started looking at insurance now.
    Originally posted by debsterrr
    You should really make this a priority.
    It's always advisable to get insurance as soon as any part of the holiday is booked to ensure that you will be covered should something arise that requires cancellation or delay.
    Even if it's a policy for a specific holiday (rather than an annual policy), you will still be covered from the day the policy is issued.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    You should really make this a priority.
    It's always advisable to get insurance as soon as any part of the holiday is booked to ensure that you will be covered should something arise that requires cancellation or delay.
    Even if it's a policy for a specific holiday (rather than an annual policy), you will still be covered from the day the policy is issued.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    There's a lot of hysteria on this point. It's not always advisable, if for instance you've booked cancellable flights and hotel reservations there's no urgency to get travel insurance till before you travel.

The really essential thing for travel to the USA is to make sure you have medical cover and any pre-existing medical conditions are declared and covered.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    Both children are 12.

I doubt my daughters friend has any travel insurance as they haven't been away for years and in fact the girl I'm taking has never been abroad!

Whatever I choose to do I will DEFINITELY get insurance as I have to cover my daughter for a pre-existing condition and I've seen how expensive things can get if anything goes wrong
    Originally posted by debsterrr
    The other thing to look into is there are now silly rules about taking other peoples' children out of the country - you might need a letter from her parents giving you permission to take her. Not sure how this works - I can't see how a letter could be proof of parental consent as anyone could have written the letter, but you'd best look into this.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    sheramber
    You should also have written consent to authorise medical treatment if needed .
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 6th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    stephb34
    [QUOTE=debsterrr;73086837]Both children are 12.

All the more important to get insurance asap because you are in cancellation and if its not changeable or refundable you would lose most of your money as its going next month. Usually the closer you get the more you lose.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 9,435 Posts
    • 10,605 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    There's a lot of hysteria on this point. It's not always advisable, if for instance you've booked cancellable flights and hotel reservations there's no urgency to get travel insurance till before you travel.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Why do you consider it "hysteria"?
    If I book a holiday beginning in 2 months and I take out insurance to cover the dates of that holiday today the premium payable will be exactly the same as if I was to wait until the day before I travel to take out the policy and I will be covered for cancellation from today so there is no financial downside from doing it early.
    There are potential upsides however.

As fully cancellable flights are generally far more expensive (BA LGW to Orlando next month for example is £620 for non changeable or £1950 for flexible) not many people take up the option for cancellable tickets.
    Even if the price difference isn't that extreme, there will still be some difference and this alone may put a lot of people off buying a flexible ticket.

It's also worth remembering that it won't matter that you bought cancellable flights or hotel bookings if the airline, charter company or hotel folds up and you didn't have ATOL protection for the flights or if you didn't have S75 protection by paying with a credit card.
    Even if you got your money refunded via ATOL protection. This process normally takes many months to process where as insurance policies normally pay out far quicker.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 10,882 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    The other thing to look into is there are now silly rules about taking other peoples' children out of the country - you might need a letter from her parents giving you permission to take her. Not sure how this works - I can't see how a letter could be proof of parental consent as anyone could have written the letter, but you'd best look into this.
    This ^

It is called a loco parentis letter. It needs to have the parent/guardian's passport details, full names & address/tel number on along with those of the child and the parent assuming responsibility for the child. Include the dates of travel and countries being visited.

Has the child got an Esta?

Edit - this will help you with the letter https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348110/Letter_of_Consent_for_Minors_travelling_to_UK_Apr0 8.pdf
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 07-09-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 7th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    Why do you consider it "hysteria"?
    Because you get people saying stuff like you must, it is essential etc. No, it's not essential in all cases. It might be a good idea most of the time, that's about it.
    If I book a holiday beginning in 2 months and I take out insurance to cover the dates of that holiday today the premium payable will be exactly the same as if I was to wait until the day before I travel to take out the policy and I will be covered for cancellation from today so there is no financial downside from doing it early.
    There are potential upsides however.
    Of course there's a financial downside. You've paid the insurance premium. A waste of money if you end up cancelling before you go, if you have nothing to claim for because all your flights & reservations were cancellable.
    As fully cancellable flights are generally far more expensive (BA LGW to Orlando next month for example is £620 for non changeable or £1950 for flexible) not many people take up the option for cancellable tickets.
    Even if the price difference isn't that extreme, there will still be some difference and this alone may put a lot of people off buying a flexible ticket.
    I've been on a few long haul flights where the cheapest tickets available were fully cancellable tickets. There weren't any non-flexible tickets left with the same airline, and other airlines' non-flexible tickets were more expensive. In some cases, with a small admin fee, but the fee was less than the cost of an insurance policy.
    It's also worth remembering that it won't matter that you bought cancellable flights or hotel bookings if the airline, charter company or hotel folds up and you didn't have ATOL protection for the flights or if you didn't have S75 protection by paying with a credit card.
    Even if you got your money refunded via ATOL protection. This process normally takes many months to process where as insurance policies normally pay out far quicker.
    Pay with a credit card then! Usually no extra for longhaul.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 9,435 Posts
    • 10,605 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    There's a lot of hysteria on this point. It's not always advisable.
    No, it's not essential in all cases. It might be a good idea most of the time, that's about it.
    So it's not always advisable but it is a good idea most of the time?

If you think it's a good idea most of the time, I don't understand why you think it's hysteria to advise someone to take out travel insurance as soon as they book their holiday?

Whilst it may well be true that flexible tickets are sometimes cheaper than non flexible ones, I'm sure that this is the exception rather than the rule.
    I fly long haul 14 or 15 time per year and have done so for the past 25 years and I've never had it happen so it can't be that common an occurrence.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 7th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    zagfles
    So it's not always advisable but it is a good idea most of the time?
    Err...yes! Not "always", not "essential", but a good idea most of the time. Not all. I think it's clear enough now isn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin