Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 5th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 363Posts
    • 863Thanks
    silly moo
    Refurbished laptop
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    Refurbished laptop 5th Sep 17 at 10:54 PM
    Hi all. Encouraged by posts on this forum I bought a refurbished laptop rather than a new one. Is there something I need to do, e.g. check all the specs are ok, run diagnostic programs etc? Thanks.
Page 1
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 5th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    Hi all. Encouraged by posts on this forum I bought a refurbished laptop rather than a new one. Is there something I need to do, e.g. check all the specs are ok, run diagnostic programs etc? Thanks.
    Originally posted by silly moo
    I'm not being funny, but shouldn't you have done exactly that before handing over your money?! I guess you could check the system specs (processor speed, memory size, storage size etc) against what was advertised - just to be sure you've got what you paid for. And there are hard drive diagnostic tools that you can use to check the health of the drive on your computer to ensure it's trouble free and isn't going to grind to a halt in a few weeks. Otherwise I'm not sure what else you can usefully do now.
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 5th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    silly moo
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    It was bought on ebay. I could hardly check it out before handing over my money. However I can return it within 14 days if I change my mind.
    Which tools would you suggest I use?
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 5th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:34 PM
    Is it a Windows laptop, if so what version?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Sep 17, 2:20 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:20 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:20 AM
    Nothing you can run will tell you anything of any use about how long it will or will not last.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    Is there something I need to do, e.g. check all the specs are ok, run diagnostic programs etc? Thanks.
    I'll try and be helpful ;-)
    Assuming it comes with Windows, type <Windows key>+E to open Windows Explorer.
    Right-mouse-click This PC and select Properties.

This will tell you the processor in the laptop and how much RAM it has (and what version of Windows!). Compare these to what was listed in the Ebay listing. Disk size can also be checked in Windows Explorer -left-mouse-click This PC to see the drives (add up sizes to find size of disk).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 6th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    silly moo
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    Is it a Windows laptop, if so what version?
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan
    It's Windows 10.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 7th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    Laptop brand name and full model number?

What happened to your HP ProBook 4720s?
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 8th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    silly moo
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    Laptop brand name and full model number?

What happened to your HP ProBook 4720s?
    Originally posted by WAYT
    Dell inspiron 5767. We got it for DH. I still have the Probook 4720 with a new battery and new memory.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    WAYT
    Dell inspiron 5767. We got it for DH. I still have the Probook 4720 with a new battery and new memory.
    Did you get a full 12 month or more warranty with it?
    Perhaps send me the eBay link via PM, so I can determine value for money etc.

The machine is let down, in the main, by the rather outdated 5400 RPM (1TB) HDD. Especially as they are not cheap.
    I'd rather make do with a 128 GB SSD and resort to external storage. Though 256GB SSD would be good.
    Swapping to SSD is a possibility, but a bit fiddly with that machine; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGS8obIY664
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter