Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 5th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,725Posts
    • 94,513Thanks
    serenity2012
    twitter shadowban
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    twitter shadowban 5th Sep 17 at 9:24 PM
    Lots of people are being shadowbanned on twitter recently. Just found by a search that I am too but no idea what it means. Does anyone know? Does it mean all the comps i've done there and retweets are not showing to comp runners? Can't find much info on it but if its messing about with my account i'll close it.

Here's a link to see if you are shadowbanned

http://www.shadowban.de/tester/
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
Page 4
    • toniq
    • By toniq 11th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 28,272 Posts
    • 611,177 Thanks
    toniq
    Just responded to your entry x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• Abominus
    • By Abominus 11th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 5,424 Thanks
    Abominus
    I think you are fine, I've seen your entries into my comp come through ok, I think twitter is very quiet at the moment, if you can see your comments under private browsing then you are fine.

Mines been quiet for the last week or so, but I have tweeted companies regarding xmas presies and had responses.

Tweet me if you want to check to see if I see it.

x
    Originally posted by toniq
    Thanks for the response, hopefully it's just my paranoia. Never had so few notifications, seemed really odd. Usually get a bunch throughout the day, the only notifications i've had were from you. I thought that might be because we follow each other though, don't know if that makes a difference. I'm going to plow on until i get a response from a company.

Much appreciated as always, you are awesome.
    • mmm wine
    • By mmm wine 13th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 16,571 Thanks
    mmm wine
    I have been shadow banned for ages now... I'm starting to think i should start a new twitter account??
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 19th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I can't tweet since I used gleam a few hours ago
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring boo&pencils&:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper:Scarf
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 28th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 94,513 Thanks
    serenity2012
    I found out a bit more about shadowbanning. Basically unless the account is already following you they won't see anything you do. retweeting the comp etc, comments. Twitter don't tell you and with me it lasts for around 2 days each time. If FB and twitter don't want you to share or retweet etc, instead of coming down on those who enter why aren't they coming down on the comp runners themselves. FB is getting worse. More and more comp runners are now demanding tagging 5 or more people.
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 28th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 58,487 Thanks
    Zanzib
    Thanks for the response, hopefully it's just my paranoia. Never had so few notifications, seemed really odd. Usually get a bunch throughout the day, the only notifications i've had were from you. I thought that might be because we follow each other though, don't know if that makes a difference. I'm going to plow on until i get a response from a company.

Much appreciated as always, you are awesome.
    Originally posted by Abominus
    Although I'm not shadowbanned, I haven't had twitter notifications for months. The only notifications I do get are direct messages. Checked my settings, but makes no difference...
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 28th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I found out a bit more about shadowbanning. Basically unless the account is already following you they won't see anything you do. retweeting the comp etc, comments. Twitter don't tell you and with me it lasts for around 2 days each time. If FB and twitter don't want you to share or retweet etc, instead of coming down on those who enter why aren't they coming down on the comp runners themselves. FB is getting worse. More and more comp runners are now demanding tagging 5 or more people.
    Originally posted by serenity2012
    Instagram is getting bad for tagging too "Tag four friends to win a lipstick"
    • Abominus
    • By Abominus 29th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 5,424 Thanks
    Abominus
    Originally posted by serenity2012
    Yeah, that's the conclusion i've come to as well. Usually win on average about once a week on twitter. Haven't won anything for a month now, pretty sure my entries are not being counted. Tried leaving it several days, notifications start working again then as soon as i start doing anything ... shadowban. Only notifications i get are from people that follow me, so i guess they are the only ones that see my tweets. Tempted to abandon my account and start over, has anyone done this?
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 29th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 157,350 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I have kept my original account, but make sure I keep my activity to only about four or five tweets in any half hour period. Funnily enough, I did win a phone case on twitter since doing this, having not won anything on twitter for a long time.

• Short-n-Sweet
    • By Short-n-Sweet 30th Nov 17, 1:28 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 320,959 Thanks
    Short-n-Sweet
    I am really sorry about dragging up an old thread but I used to keep hearing the word Shadow Banned and didn't think much of it however I have not won on Twitter for ages so thought I would use one of those free checkers and it has infact told me I am shadow banned, I then read more about it and it seems your hashtags do not show up.

So surely if a promoter chooses a winner via a Hashtag I have no chance? I made up a hashtag and got a friend to search the hashtag and nothing came up. They then searched my name and no tweets came up in the search other than when other non shadow banned people mentioned me. Could this be why I am not winning?

I have contacted Twitter but I am so annoyed and convinced this has something to do with not winning. I think it's because I do alot of rafflecopter in one go maybe, tempted to create a new account for RTs and use my current one for Rafflecopters.

These social media sites banning people for being social is getting stupid!
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 30th Nov 17, 7:24 AM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 157,350 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I think this is indeed why you are not winning much. I have been shadowbanned more recently. I doubt twitter will admit you are shadowbanned, or even that such a thing exists. To save bothering friends, you can search yourself using an incognito window where you are not logged in to twitter.

I still don't get how some prolific users don't appear to be shadowbanned.

• bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 30th Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 32,637 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    Buying 10,000 followers has helped some of he more prolific comping accounts.
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 30th Nov 17, 9:36 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    I had problems a while back as you will see above. Mine always lasted exactly 24 hours but just a couple of actions in a short space of time knackered it again. Mine now seems be ok & I've had more wins & notifications again recently. Don't give up. I know plenty have tried all this & I think the key is catching it early, which luckily for me I think I did but these are my suggestions & what worked for me.

Each time I messaged Twitter complaining it was unfair on the link someone has given above in the hope someone there might listen

When the ban was lifted I literally entered one comp each hour which would consist of a RT & a reply without any hashtags (unless it was a stipulation for the comp)

I mixed them up with photos & tweets of my own but I've always done that anyway & will emphasise I've always included a reply to most comp entries, RT other stuff & some of my own.

It's hard not to bang in loads when you are unshadow banned but resist the temptation & take it slow using the 1 hour rule.

And I checked after each action using right click- open in private/incognito window - search - From:username. If your tweets are there then you are fine for the next hours entry. Frustrating but the only way I could be sure
    • Short-n-Sweet
    • By Short-n-Sweet 30th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 320,959 Thanks
    Short-n-Sweet
    I assume it's because I do alot of Rafflecopter and usually in one go, maybe this is why some of the other Compers who stick at twitter all day don't have the ban and those that do lots of Rafflecopter seem to be?

Are there rules on Twitter about multiple accounts? I know you can only have one on Facebook, I am tempted to create a new one for advents and not do any of the rafflecopters, am I mad for even thinking this?

Would hate anyone to think I was entering unfairly, one would be purely for RT comps and chat and the other Blogs / Rafflecopter entries.

I do chat on my account alot and share photos, randoms and not Just competitions so thought I would of been alright, I was a little gutted when I noticed last night that I wasn't being seen!
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
    • Minnibix
    • By Minnibix 30th Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Minnibix
    Shadow Banning
    Hi I was trying to get up to date with any rafflecopter & gleam comps ready for the advents and I have been shadow banned. Does anyone know how long this lasts and if you have to do anything to become unshadow banned
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin