Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 5th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 540Posts
    • 1,640Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Scottish Power help please
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    Scottish Power help please 5th Sep 17 at 9:16 PM
    I moved into this flat at the end of April and informed Scottish Power of the change of tenant. I gave meter readings and took photos of both meters.

Unfortunately, it appears SP were sending the previous tenant of this flat letters/bills to the flat next door.

I've tried to resolve this with SP but they don't appear to be able to just open an account for me at this address because the address doesn't match the one they had for the previous tenant.

So far they've had;

Meter readings
    Photo's of the meters (for the serial numbers)
    Full address and an explanation of where they have gone wrong
    A copy of my tenancy agreement showing my address/date of moving in
    I've drawn the line at their request for copies of my neighbours tenancy/mortgage documents!
    I've explained they can verify who lives next door by a search of the electoral register and I have no intention of asking my neighbour for their personal information!

Still no change. They just don't seem to understand that I want to set up an account at 1F1 not 1F2.

Now they've sent completely made up bills to my neighbour at 1F2 but in my name. He's getting more than a little bit irritated

Any ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 16/18
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 6th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    I moved into this flat at the end of April and informed Scottish Power of the change of tenant. I gave meter readings and took photos of both meters.

Unfortunately, it appears SP were sending the previous tenant of this flat letters/bills to the flat next door.

I've tried to resolve this with SP but they don't appear to be able to just open an account for me at this address because the address doesn't match the one they had for the previous tenant.

So far they've had;

Meter readings
    Photo's of the meters (for the serial numbers)
    Full address and an explanation of where they have gone wrong
    A copy of my tenancy agreement showing my address/date of moving in
    I've drawn the line at their request for copies of my neighbours tenancy/mortgage documents!
    I've explained they can verify who lives next door by a search of the electoral register and I have no intention of asking my neighbour for their personal information!

Still no change. They just don't seem to understand that I want to set up an account at 1F1 not 1F2.

Now they've sent completely made up bills to my neighbour at 1F2 but in my name. He's getting more than a little bit irritated

Any ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts

VB x
    Originally posted by vintagebrighton
    No idea why this is so complicated, sorry.

Every supplier I have ever used, and SP is one of them, has had the ability to easily add a different mailing address compared to the supply address.

Having said that, it is for the supplier to ensure the meter database is correct, and amend if necessary.

Not sure why your neighbour is irritated. It should be you that is irriated if the bill is "completely made up" - not sure why your neighbour is opening your post???
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 6th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    No idea why this is so complicated, sorry.

Every supplier I have ever used, and SP is one of them, has had the ability to easily add a different mailing address compared to the supply address.

Having said that, it is for the supplier to ensure the meter database is correct, and amend if necessary.

Not sure why your neighbour is irritated. It should be you that is irriated if the bill is "completely made up" - not sure why your neighbour is opening your post???
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I don't see why it's so difficult either

My neighbour's not opening my post, he gives it to me. I think he's worried that SP's incompetence might affect him in some way.

It's not a supply problem just an address problem. I can't change supplier either until they sort themselves out.

I guess the only option is a complaint.

Thanks anyway.

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 7th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    You are doing it right by keeping a detailed log of your meter reads and contacts with SP - This arms you against the day when the estimated bills start coming in.

Oddly enough, because the billing you have had passed on to you by your neighbor is not correctly addressed, officially SP have not issued any bills to you - If they keep this up for a over a year you can claim back-billing relief on any bill for energy supplied prior to the last 365 days - This being counted back from the date they do manage to issue a correctly addressed bill
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 7th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    You are doing it right by keeping a detailed log of your meter reads and contacts with SP - This arms you against the day when the estimated bills start coming in.

Oddly enough, because the billing you have had passed on to you by your neighbor is not correctly addressed, officially SP have not issued any bills to you - If they keep this up for a over a year you can claim back-billing relief on any bill for energy supplied prior to the last 365 days - This being counted back from the date they do manage to issue a correctly addressed bill
    Originally posted by dogshome
    Thanks.

The bills/letters are actually addressed to

The owner/occupier/vintage brighton
    1F2

So they've added my name somewhere but just cannot get the address correct or record anything to do with my meters or readings.

Despite all the info/pictures they've had they still can't find my meters.

I'll plod on and work out myself what money I need to put away. Which, by the way, is more than it should be because until they sort out the issue they're charging my phantom meters and readings at their standard, most expensive tariff

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,657Users online

Martin's Twitter