Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 5th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5,261Posts
    • 10,888Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Duck Eggs
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    Duck Eggs 5th Sep 17 at 9:02 PM
    A local independent shop has started selling duck eggs

I love fried duck eggs on toast or in a sandwich.

Does anyone else buy them and how do you eat/use yours?
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

Page 1
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 5th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 19,291 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    Absolutely love them, DH introduced me to them and they taste like I remember eggs tasting.

I tend to fry or boil for egg mayo, or part of a salad.

I've only ever found them for sale of honesty boxes and a welsh farm. Down south I've only ever seen them in C0stco as "posh eggs" and they don't cut it as the same..
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 10,888 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    I can't believe my luck that I have found somewhere local to get them, previously I only saw them occasionally when out and about on travels.

To me they have much more flavour and I love the huge yolks.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 23,247 Posts
    • 90,220 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    Scrambled in a frying pan with just butter and then salt and pepper.

They're available during the Summer from supermarkets as well as smaller places because Ducks don't go in for that battery cage nonsense or fall for the artificial day length trick that chickens do, so go off lay when Nature dictates it.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 5th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 10,888 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    I've never seen them in the supermarkets around here.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

• Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 6th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    Duck eggs are the BEST for pastry!

Mum makes the shortest, richest melt-in-the-mouthiest pastry for mince pies with duck eggs!
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 6th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,915 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    DH and I love them and used to get them as a treat from Waitrose. However we cooked one for DS1 a few months back and he went into anaphylactic shock, which has never happened with a chicken egg I have no idea what's in them that's different, but I won't buy them anymore.
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 6th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 6,488 Thanks
    t14cy t
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    im lucky enough that I have fresh duck eggs as I still have 2 lovely old gals, one of whom still lays, even though they are now 15!! use duck eggs in the same way as hens...they are much richer though so savour!! xx
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 6th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    We used to keep runner ducks and their eggs were brilliant for baking, presumably due to a higher fat content than hen eggs, so I've been told.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 3,380 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Our local shop has them regularly. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of eggs myself, but OH swears by them.

You can basically do anything that you would do with a hens egg - we've had them fried, boiled and scrambled. I don't poach them as they would be too big to fit the holes in my poaching pan, but there's no reason why you can't poach them direct in boiling water (just never a technique I've mastered). And I see no reason why you shouldn't use them for baking, provided you used a recipe that went by the weight of the eggs rather than the number.

A word of warning though - my step-daughter had them for the first time when she came to visit and she was plagued with *ahem* wind for the rest of the day...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 13,101 Posts
    • 17,318 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We have duck eggs as often as we have hens eggs: fried, scrambled, poached, boiled. Never used them for baking though. We get them from the farm down the road.

My wife recently pickled a few. I haven't tried them yet.

I saw these for sale in a market in Australia. Might need a bigger egg cup.

Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 6th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,792 Thanks
    zippychick
    this older thread has some fab ideas as well!

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jackyann
    • By jackyann 6th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    jackyann
    I too use duck eggs just as hen's and they are great, very tasty.

However, a general warning: the shells are more porous than hen's eggs, and slightly more likely to let an infection through. If you gather your own, and know they are very fresh it doesn't apply. But I don't give 'soft' or raw duck eggs to anyone vulnerable (very young, very old, frail or otherwise ill in some way).
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    Callie22
    Duck eggs make very nice custard.
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 7th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    My country aunt used to win the sponge cake section at the local WI - her secret was that she used duck eggs!

I used to have to hunt for them, now a stallholder in the local market has them regularly - I use them in a lot of things, or sometimes just boiled!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,162Posts Today

8,688Users online

Martin's Twitter