Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 5th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,169Posts
    • 2,085Thanks
    Alter ego
    0 WOW
    Changing sterling in Budapest
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    0 WOW
    Changing sterling in Budapest 5th Sep 17 at 6:59 PM
    Going to change some before leaving but does anyone know whether there are decent deals to be had in Budapest if we run short please?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 5th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    Changing cash is out of the ark, best getting a decent card, plenty of advice on this site. But whatever, don't change cash here, it's almost always a rip-off for minor currencies like HUF, you'll get better deals over there. Can't say where, as I used my fee-free cards and got the MasterCard rate which was far better than any cash exchanging place there or here.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,169 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    Changing cash is out of the ark, best getting a decent card, plenty of advice on this site. But whatever, don't change cash here, it's almost always a rip-off for minor currencies like HUF, you'll get better deals over there. Can't say where, as I used my fee-free cards and got the MasterCard rate which was far better than any cash exchanging place there or here.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Ok Thanks, I'll probably use Nationwide select credit card for purchases and Flexdirect debit card in Hungarian bank ATM for cash.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    Ok Thanks, I'll probably use Nationwide select credit card for purchases and Flexdirect debit card in Hungarian bank ATM for cash.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    The FlexDirect card charges, though I think it's cheaper than most. If there's time might be worth getting a better card for cash eg the Clarity or Barclaycard Travel card.

Watch out for DCC, always take the "without conversion" option at ATMs and always tell retailers to charge your card in HUF.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin